Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Saturday was the first race for saturday divsions. With 34 Supersportsmen signed in they divided them into 3 heats with the top 6 transfering. Wouldn't it make for a better show to have 4 heats and take top 4? Also Being that it is a sportsmen division there looked to be 5-6 guys that were rookies or even the first time in an open wheel car shouldn't there of been rookie hot laps since the practice day on the 16th was rained out. Just my thoughts from a fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:57 am 
Racer
Racer

If I remember correctly, Silver Springs used to have a sportsman rookie practice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:06 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

We use the older standard for the saturday divisions of 36 or more cars 4 heat races. The Grove is so big the rookies drivers have plenty of room being out there in regular hot laps. The Grove uses a newer system for the sprints going to 4 heats at 32 cars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

What rookie driver or drivers are you referring to?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:42 am 
Rookie
Rookie

He ran sprint cars before. So he's not completely new to driving an open wheel car.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:11 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

What ow93 is saying has merit but I can cite one occasion when it made no difference.

Back in the Super Sportsman strike year (1972?), Lincoln eventually became the series' Saturday night home. There was a driver (Ron something?) whose family literally lived on saltines, peanut butter and water the previous winter so he could make his dream of owning a Super Sportsman a reality. He served his two rookie weeks starting in the rear of his heat and the consy. I'm not sure, but I don't think he made either feature. Then on week #3, he got to start on the pole. I can't recall if this happened in his heat or the feature, but coming down the frontstretch to take the green flag, he got crossed up and what seemed like the entire field ran over him. He was okay but his dream car was junk and I never saw him at the races again.

There's no substitute for experience but about the only place to get any experience with a race car is at a racetrack.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:08 pm 
Scott is by far a rookie! He ran several years in a 305 and a couple years in 358. I believer he dropped down to sportsman due to the cost to run the 358. I got that via a conversation he and I had last year at lincoln. Ive known him for probably 20 years now. He is a hell of a driver!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think the number of cars in a heat also varies from track to track, and of course by car count. For instance; If Port has 23 cars they will run 2 heats of 12 and 11 while Selinsgrove would run 3 heats of 8, 8 and 7. Personally I prefer more cars in a heat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:07 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Alan and myself discussed this prior to opening the gates saturday and basically with the size of Williams Grove being so large I was allowed to use my own judgement. I have seen Mr. Ellerman run a 305 sprint and a 358 sprint for many seasons and after we had a discussion (as he entered the pit gate) I decided to allow him to go ahead and draw a pill! Dylan Cisney, Gary Johnston, and Jared Miller all with no or little experiance had no problem starting in the rear! In the 358 late models I extended the same decision to vetern Craig Wagaman who was also making his Williams Grove 358 late model debut! Also 358 late model rookie Nat Tuckey ( a thundercar champion making his first late model start) was allowed to draw a pill, but I asked him if he didn't feel ok in his hot lap if he would drop to the rear of his heat (in which he did). Nat then made the top 4 in the heat which allowed him to draw again for his spot in the feature! Also some questioned the 80 sportsman of Doug Hendricks, well Doug ran several shows in the 80 at the end of last year and is a former modified driver, therefor he is not considered a rookie either! I hope this helps a little!

Mike G.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:49 am 
Mike will Ellerman and Hendricks be considered for rookie of the year?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:04 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Scott Ellerman will be a rookie of the year contender, but I believe Doug Hendricks ran enough shows last year to not be considered a rookie this year! I will double check how many he did run!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:53 pm 
Scott has won quite a few races in a sprint and also i believe has a track championship!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:12 pm 
Sorry for the bad info. Ellerman has 4 track championships in a 305 not 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Scott has won a total of four track championships while running in the 305 sprint class.Three at Path Valley,one at Hesston.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:21 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

will Derek Locke be eligible for rookie of the year. I think he only ran a few races last year plus the 100 lapper.