Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I realize this is probably somewhat of a silly question to be asking :roll: but simply out of curiosity – I had to ask ... plus I’m not smart enough to know how to figure it out.

In real life - if someone were to turn a lap time of 10:41 at the Grove :shock: – does anyone know what that might equate to in terms of mph?

I am only asking this because according to the leader board scores on the video game web site – “Sprint Cars: Road to Knoxville” someone claims to have turned a 10:41 lap at Williams Grove.

I realize that a lap time such as this is more than likely not realistic – but I’d just like to know – plus my son asked me what it would work out to in mph and I couldn’t answer him :doh:

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Keep On, Keepin' On..and Keep it on the dirt!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:16 pm 
10.41 lap on a half mile track equals an average speed of about 173 mph (speed = distance divided by time)

Last edited by BLT 77 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:22 pm 
goldeneagle48 wrote:
I realize this is probably somewhat of a silly question to be asking :roll: but simply out of curiosity – I had to ask ... plus I’m not smart enough to know how to figure it out.

In real life - if someone were to turn a lap time of 10:41 at the Grove :shock: – does anyone know what that might equate to in terms of mph?

I am only asking this because according to the leader board scores on the video game web site – “Sprint Cars: Road to Knoxville” someone claims to have turned a 10:41 lap at Williams Grove.

I realize that a lap time such as this is more than likely not realistic – but I’d just like to know – plus my son asked me what it would work out to in mph and I couldn’t answer him :doh:

I come up with 253.61 Mph

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

length of track in miles x 3600 (seconds in an hour) / lap time in seconds

your example
.50 x 3600 / 10.41 = 172.91

wg 410 track record(not sure of official distance) i know someone has it in their signature but i can't find it so here's at 1/2 mi and .5296 which was the largest one listed.

.50 x 3600 / 16.14 = 111.524 mph

.5296 x 3600 / 16.207 = 118.126 mph

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm 
I'm willing to bet the Grove is not exactly 1/2 mile, so the actual speed is probably a little faster.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

J Man you might be right, because I heard once (many years ago) that Williams Grove is measured ½ mile “along the inside” as opposed to Lincoln which I was told is measured ½ mile “along the outside” – which would technically make Williams Grove larger than ½ mile.

I do not know for certain if what I heard is actual fact or not – so I may be wrong about what I just mentioned – but it would be interesting to find out.

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:05 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

... and if what I was told is correct - that would mean that Lincoln isn't exactly 1/2 mile either.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

goldeneagle48 wrote:
... and if what I was told is correct - that would mean that Lincoln isn't exactly 1/2 mile either.

Lincoln is advertized as a 3/8 track.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 am 
Must've been Schatz in the Green Mamba Jet Car on rails! :greenroll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 am 
fastforward wrote:
Must've been Schatz in the Green Mamba Jet Car on rails! :greenroll:
Haven't seen that beast in YEARS! It'd clean your ears out and burn jalopies to a crisp in the infield!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:15 am 
Michael Root wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that guy has past away.
I sigh to hear of that. Unfortunately, I guess the time span could make sense. I haven't seen that "green snake" at the Grove since I was a youngster. I can remember the ear-piercing scream, the "pop" when the jet blasted, and the HEAT it'd create. Anyone else here remember the "Green Mamba"? I don't even remember the name of the individual who owned and/or put that show on for us back then. Anyone know the name? Anyone have pictures? I'd think that some of the seasoned Grove shutterbugs would have a few shots of that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Car was stolen back in 2006. Driver still around.

http://www.savethemamba.org/

I think you might be thinking of Art Arfons who drove the Green Monster to land speed records. He passed away 12-07-2007.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 am 
Legend
Legend

Not sure if they are the same car, but the Green Monster was run by Art Malone and he has passed away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

see signature below for footages measured with a contractor's wheel. the footages shown are averaged between the low and high grooves run on the tracks on the night the measurements were taken.

Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2013: 49 Races
Grove: 25 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 2 / Susky: 4 / Selinsgrove: 2 / Eldora: 2 / Lima: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:54 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I realize this message board is for and about dirt track racing – and I don’t mean to take anything way from the premise of that – but someone mentioned “The Green Mamba” jet car and it brought back a memory of the last time I saw that car – that I just had to comment on.

I used to attend drag races at York US30 Dragway in Thomasville, PA when I was “younger” and one year they staged a late summer – early fall race and “The Green Mamba” jet car was part of the “added attractions” along with Art Arfons in a car he called “The Green Monster”.

At the end of the races – “The Green Mamba” and “The Green Monster” made a side by side exhibition run.

There was a road that ran behind the staging area for the cars and across the road was a farmers field which had corn planted in it. Being that it was in the fall of the year, the cornfield was pretty well dried up and when “The Green Mamba” and “The Green Monster” lit the fuse (as it were) and took off down the dragstrip a huge flame shot out the back of those two cars that must have been 50 feet long – and they (unintentionally) proceeded to catch the cornfield on fire – big time fire I might add too.

Not to mention the fact that they also literally melted the chainlink fence that separated the road from the drag strip. It is a sight that I will never forget – and as I think about that night – it occurs to me that when “The Green Mamba” and “The Green Monster” took off down the dragstrip – it is a darn good thing nobody was “passing by” on that roadway which I am sure (at least I hope) was blocked off.

You think ONE Jet Car is loud? You should hear TWO of them running side by side at one time – WOW :shock: