Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:59 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Also I wanted to take this opportunity to say “Thanks” to everyone who explained how lap times can be converted into MPH – greatly appreciate the info :thumbleft:

And thanks to Tire Dude for correcting me on the official size of Lincoln Speedway – you’re right – it is advertised as a 3/8 mile – I messed up and thanks for pointing out my error :thumbleft:

And thanks BigRightRear for the footages of several of the tracks in your signature. I am going to jot them down for future reference – thank you :thumbleft:

You all are awesome!

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Keep On, Keepin' On..and Keep it on the dirt!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
Racer
Racer

3/8's = 1980 feet...according to Smitty

:smitty2:

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 9
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:04 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

lost my previous post. Doug Rose drove the Green Mamba Jet Car.

i found this article and a link to photos

http://www.the-rocketman.com/green.html

Doug Rose and The Green Mamba Jet Car have been burning up the tracks for over 35 years.

Doug Rose started driving Jet Powered cars back in 1962 When Walt Arfons Hired Doug to drive the famed Green Monster Jet Car. Doug set track records with Green Monster from one end of the country to the other. Until Doug had a near fatal accident when his Jet Car hit a guardrail in 1966, as a result of the accident Doug lost both of his legs.

Doug decided the accident was not going to stop him from doing what he loved to-do best, and that was driving fast cars and setting track records. So Doug built The Green Mamba Jet powered Car. Through the years Doug won over 3,700 races, and was the National Jet Car Champion 11 times.

Doug is pushing now 70 years old and yet he still entertains his fans across the country by burning cars with the Green Mamba Jet Car.

Ky and Doug used to tour together during the seventies, and early eighties and have remained friends ever since. Every year Doug brings his Green Mamba jet car to Minnesota Where Ky Lives, to put on a half time show on at Raceway park.

Doug Chains a full size car to The Green Monster. Then fires up the jet engine. When engine gets up to the right temperature Doug turns on the after burner. The car turns into a ball of fire. After about 30 seconds the car starts melting, sparks, and car parts, fly hundreds of feet into the air. This is one of the most awesome displays of power I have ever seen.

The Green Monster is powered by a J46 jet engine out of a Navy F7U Cutlass Fighter Plane. The engine burns 37 Gallons of Jet fuel a minuet. The Car weighs 3,318 pounds and has a top speed of over 300 MPH.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:09 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Kreitz got a couple wins thanks to the green mamba :offtopic:

8-KOKOMO,IN
0-Haubstadt,in
0-Plymouth,In
0-Anderson,in
4-GAS CITY,in
8-PUTNAMVILLE,IN
3-BLOOMINGTON,IN
1-QUINCY,IL
1-Waynesfield,oh
1-LINCOLN,IL
1-Terre Haute,in
3-Rossburg,oh
0-Pontoon beach,IL
1-DANVILLE,IL
1-Paragon
13-different tracks,3 states

Total-37

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I use to go to a lot of truck and tractor pulls.Art Arfons and his daughter(name I can't remember) ran jet powered pulling tracters.They use to be on tv with the TNT Pulling Series.He might be dead because he was up in age then and that was back in the late '80's and early '90's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Quote:
Slider5 Wrote:
I use to go to a lot of truck and tractor pulls.Art Arfons and his daughter(name I can't remember) ran jet powered pulling tracters.They use to be on tv with the TNT Pulling Series.He might be dead because he was up in age then and that was back in the late '80's and early '90's.

Yes Art passed away and if I am not mistaken he was 80 something when he died. I too remember his “jet powered” tractors and remember quite well going to several events where he (and his daughter) performed.

Art actually began his racing career driving dragsters that he and his half brother, Walt Arfons built themselves from the ground up. Their dragsters were painted John Deere green and supposedly people thought their dragsters were butt ugly (because of the green color) and that is where the name “The Green Monster” came from – and that name for their race cars stuck with the Arfons when they began the jet car era.

Art Arfons was also instrumental in bringing about parachutes to help slow down drag cars.

I always thought the jet cars were fascinating to say the least and I am glad that Williams Grove brought some in a time or so to give local dirt track fans a thrill they otherwise may have never experienced.

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Keep On, Keepin' On..and Keep it on the dirt!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

just found this after seeing Arfons' name and remembering the Bonneville runs onb ABC's Wide World of Sports as a kid:

http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138

Land Speed Legend Art Arfons passes
Tuesday, 04 December 2007
Akron native Art Arfons, land-speed record breaker 'Green Monster' builder icon in international drag racing
Direct Link to orginal Article Here

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sportswriter
Published on Tuesday, Dec 04, 2007

Akron native and international drag racing icon Art Arfons died Monday at age 81.

Mr. Arfons, famous for building cars called ''Green Monsters'' with his brother, Walt, was a three-time world land-speed record holder.

He also held the Unlimited Drag Racing Record and was a champion tractor puller.

''They built everything themselves,'' Mr. Arfons' nephew, Walter Arfons, said. ''They were sort of self-made guys. They didn't buy anything. They were just notorious for that around Ohio.

''He liked to live life dangerously.''

The brothers began drag racing at a track near the Rubber Bowl, but soon moved on to bigger stages and became stars in the mid-1950s.

Art went on to race his ''Green Monsters'' at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. It was there he broke the
world record three times in the mid-1960s. He engaged in some famous battles with Craig Breedlove, and the world record passed between the rivals six times in two years. Mr. Arfons was clocked at 576.553 mph the last time he held the record.

''He was just a remarkable man,'' said Tom Melody, a retired Beacon Journal sports editor and writer. ''I think it's really, really strange that Evel Knievel and Arfons are going in virtually the same week. They had some similarities. Arfons did some things that were as fearless as anything Knievel did.''

Mr. Arfons, who served in the Navy during World War II, was also known for his contribution to the development of two important safety devices that have since been made mandatory for drag racers: the overhead roll cage and the parachute.

He was inducted into the Motor Sports Hall of Fame of America, International Drag Racing Hall of Fame, International Motor Sports Hall of Fame, National Tractor Puller Association Hall of Fame and the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame.

At age 13, in 1939, he raced in Akron's All-American Soap Box Derby.

''He was a good person,'' Melody said. ''He certainly was a person this town could be proud of.''

Mr. Arfons leaves his wife of 60 years, June; son, Tim; daughter, Dusty Spraggins; brother, Walt, and sister, Lou Wolfe.

Friends may call from from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Kucko-Anthony-Kertesz Funeral Home, 1990 S. Main St., where services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 04 March 2008 )

Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2013: 49 Races
Grove: 25 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 2 / Susky: 4 / Selinsgrove: 2 / Eldora: 2 / Lima: 1