Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 pm 
Just wondering why the 358 Limited Late Models were replaced by 358 Sprints this coming year? Since it's the Late Model Speedweek wouldn't it make sense to have Williams Groves own Saturday night Limited Late Model program race on the same card as the Super Lates. The 358 Late Models should be on the card every night during Speedweek. Isn't there over a hundred Limited Late Models in the area? They race at Williams Grove, Susquehanna and Hagerstown almost every weekend. Somebody please rethink this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

A couple things went into this decision:

1) 358 late models were on the card last year. Management likes to showcase their differen't weekly divisions.

2) Crowd was light last year, so maybe wings will add some Grove regulars to a late model show.

3) 358 sprints wanted a few more shows in 2010 after several rainouts in 2009!

Who knows what the outcome will be, but I think it is worth a try!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:01 pm 
I understand trying to get people to come out but if you recall last year there was a major threat of rain that kept a lot of people away. It was nice to see the super lates and limited lates together. If you're a fan of Late Model racing it would be a good way to see both classes in one night and promote the Saturday night series. They wouldn't add Late Models to the Sprint Car Speedweek would they? WG needs to do a better job of promoting the Saturday night series. You rarely hear the announcer promoting the Saturday night series on Friday night or during any other big show. If they did more cross promoting it may draw better crowds on Saturday night. The racing is great on Saturday night as well. Over all it was great for WG to add the Silver Spring Card on Saturday night. I want both nights to do really well, it only makes WG stronger.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

It really brings a smile to my face to see you really pushing for the saturday series! Williams Grove has stepped up for 2010 and has added more saturday series shows! I must say one thing however, I sit beside Bruce on Friday nights and he does advertise the saturday shows many times during a friday evening!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:47 pm 
Legend
Legend

You mean you can actually hear him! :laughing7:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:25 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

bmotb wrote:

1) 358 late models were on the card last year. Management likes to showcase their differen't weekly divisions.

2) Crowd was light last year, so maybe wings will add some Grove regulars to a late model show.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one! The winged things get "showcased" quite enough through out the year at the grove. For the spattering of Super Late Model shows that are presented why should they have to share it then most likely be over shawdowed to boot. A little more promotion on the groves part would not hurt to boost the crowd. As far as rain outs, how many shows did the 358 LM loose because of what ever! In years past, I have supported every SLM show that was scheduled (and may I add very poorly scheduled) at the grove. This one I might have to pass on thou as I am getting very tired of getting the winged crap shoved down my throat!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:59 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

No Rookie wrote:
bmotb wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one! The winged things get "showcased" quite enough through out the year at the grove. For the spattering of Super Late Model shows that are presented why should they have to share it then most likely be over shawdowed to boot. A little more promotion on the groves part would not hurt to boost the crowd. As far as rain outs, how many shows did the 358 LM loose because of what ever! In years past, I have supported every SLM show that was scheduled (and may I add very poorly scheduled) at the grove. This one I might have to pass on thou as I am getting very tired of getting the winged crap shoved down my throat!

I like the Late Models very much.....but we don't live in Late Model country....we live in Sprint Car country. I am glad they started a Late Model speedweek and hope they can keep it going for many years to come.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 pm 
Legend
Legend

Get a bunch of late model races and get a speedweek and then they ****** about what support classes run with them. :roll: Its just never gonna be good enough is it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:10 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

lefty wrote:
Get a bunch of late model races and get a speedweek and then they ****** about what support classes run with them. :roll: Its just never gonna be good enough is it?

Well lets do as rollerdog suggested. Lets run Super Late models or 358 Late Models during the sprint speed week show! The only reason you say it's sprint country is because no other division gets the chance to prove them self! But, wait, what was the average car count at last years SLM speedweek compaired the the sprint speedweek? Hummmm, I guess you can't compair that!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:14 pm 
Legend
Legend

No Rookie wrote:
lefty wrote:

Well lets do as rollerdog suggested. Lets run Super Late models or 358 Late Models during the sprint speed week show! The only reason you say it's sprint country is because no other division gets the chance to prove them self! But, wait, what was the average car count at last years SLM speedweek compaired the the sprint speedweek? Hummmm, I guess you can't compair that!

Nobody runs with the 410 Sprints, they don't need support during speedweek. :idea: Its about putting as many fans in the seats too, not just a car count.

Besides, I wasn't saying right or wrong. But a SLM show with limited sprints as support is probably better than no SLM show at all. No?

Why complain about it?

Last edited by lefty on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

lefty wrote:

Nobody runs with the 410 Sprints, they don't need support during speedweek. :idea: Its about putting as many fans in the seats too, not just a car count.

Look again! They need alot more support than anyone will admit! It's a dying division!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:20 pm 
Legend
Legend

Yep 40 cars and a packed house. They're ready to flatline. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:24 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

lefty wrote:
Yep 40 cars and a packed house. They're ready to flatline. :roll:

What was the average car count and paid attendance compairing the 2 speedweeks?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:37 pm 
Legend
Legend

The 410 sprints already pack the place for THEIR race, they don't need a support division to drag things out and make the purse bigger. Its called profitability.

Car counts elsewhere don't mean squat to THEIR race.

This topic is about the Williams Grove race, not speedweek as a whole, try to stay on topic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:12 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Profitiablity, such a big word for you! I believe the bottom line could be much better by promoting an all Late Model event. I don't think the purse is even equal to the winged week which it should be equal or more for more of a Premier division! Then you speak of dragging out a show! Engine starts PLUS warm ups now thats dragging out a show! Then you have to beg them to come out for their events and wait till they all get pushed off! Good thing they don't get equal car counts! Good thing we are only talking about the grove and not speedweek as a whole cause I don't think you could keep up with the topic!