Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Double WoO weekend?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:45 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Watching the show last night, I got to thinking that it would be cool if someday Williams Grove could do a double-Outlaw weekend show, with both the WoO sprints and WoO Late Models coming in to take on the best of the area. Even though The Grove is known as a sprint car track, it really is a good track for Late Models, too. I'd bet that they could really pack the place and get a super promotional buzz (maybe even TV coverage) for a show like that.

I know - there are probably all sorts of reasons that it couldn't happen (available pit space being one), but it's still an idea. Don't get me wrong - I think the Grove does well with the WoO sprint shows, but it never hurts to at least think of ways to promote the track to build the fan base even further. And with a show like that, one can add on little side things, like having a draw to match sprint teams with Late Model teams, and have some sort of bonus for the top Sprint/SLM team point total at the end of the event. This would give Sprint fans a reason to pay attention to the Late Models and vice versa.

Too bad last night's show was up against a SLM show at Potomac. If there's only one SLM show for the year, it would have been good to see all the local teams, not just some of them. But then, scheduling is hard to do in this area, because there are so many tracks within towing range. There are a lot of places in this nation where both fans, race teams, and promoters would all dearly love to have that sort of "problem"!

Post subject: Re: Double WoO weekend?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

There's barely a track surface left on Sat night to run the second night of Sprints now as it is. Imagine 2 nights of WoO Late Models on top the that! There'd be nothing left. I know the WoO is in charge of track prep etc, but not gonna happen at WG, ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:53 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

$$$$ and scheduling. The only place that does this is the World Finals...they can get away with it because of the number of seats and the time of the year when nothing is going on. You'd be looking at probably a minimum of $140,000 for a show of this caliber. They also do all of the qualifying on Thursday night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

mudclods wrote:
$$$$ and scheduling. The only place that does this is the World Finals...they can get away with it because of the number of seats and the time of the year when nothing is going on. You'd be looking at probably a minimum of $140,000 for a show of this caliber. They also do all of the qualifying on Thursday night.

Maybe nothing going on for the sprint cars & mod's, but 2 other big money race's that weekend for the late models. :cheers2:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Esh Fan wrote:
There's barely a track surface left on Sat night to run the second night of Sprints now as it is. Imagine 2 nights of WoO Late Models on top the that! There'd be nothing left. I know the WoO is in charge of track prep etc, but not gonna happen at WG, ever.

To say there's no track left is wrong Hagerstown holds Octoberfest 350 and makes for some good racing track prep can be handled. Would be a good weekend but they would charge way to much for a two day show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm 
Racer
Racer

lovinlatemodels wrote:
Esh Fan wrote:

To say there's no track left is wrong Hagerstown holds Octoberfest 350 and makes for some good racing track prep can be handled. Would be a good weekend but they would charge way to much for a two day show.

:bs: Every Octoberfest I've been to have been snoozers, rubbered up single file on the bottom. If it had good racing/track surface car counts would not have dropped to the point this race no longer exists. Before you say world finials is the reason car counts were dropping before they ran all 3 classes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

SLINKMASTERC wrote:
lovinlatemodels wrote:
Esh Fan wrote:

:bs: Every Octoberfest I've been to have been snoozers, rubbered up single file on the bottom. If it had good racing/track surface car counts would not have dropped to the point this race no longer exists. Before you say world finials is the reason car counts were dropping before they ran all 3 classes.

Agreed HTown is a freaking joke last 2 Speedweeks there track was black after warm ups quick time was 19 seconds last year.

Williamsgrove - 15
Port Royal - 3
Path Valley - 1
Hagerstown - 1
McKean County - 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

i dont believe Potomac's race had anything to do with the low car count at Williams Grove..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

pajamie wrote:
i dont believe Potomac's race had anything to do with the low car count at Williams Grove..

I beg to differ pajamie, at Patomacs opener this season they had 10 L.M. s and 6 of those were at the Groves Super L.M. race last season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Mr. Port wrote:
pajamie wrote:

I beg to differ pajamie, at Patomacs opener this season they had 10 L.M. s and 6 of those were at the Groves Super L.M. race last season.

They had 15 Friday night

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:07 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I said the season opener .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Lathroum and Hollidge's shops are pretty much right in Potomac's back yard... Spence's car owner promotes Potomac.. Williams runs every Potomac race.. Kenny Morland is pretty close to Potomac as well.. Plus Potomac pays ALOT better than Williams Grove.. We only ran because its real close for us... And Potomac had 15 cars.. not 10.. Guys are looking at racing as a business now.. They have too...Factor in the price of fuel for the hauler.. tires..fuel in the car.. laps on the motor.. Makes sense to stay close.. Overall Port and Williams Grove had the biggest car count of the weekend...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Plus there were many local cars that weren't at Williams Grove either... The tracks are 4 hours apart... So I still dont think Potomac hurt the Williams Grove car count... I think it was the purse... The weather...the travel for some guys thinking it doesn't pay enough to travel that far to race...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I agree with you but I was talking about the opener on Mar. 22 nd, that night they had 10 cars, i didnt see the rundown from last week yet. Glad you guys stayed local, mike is a good clean racer and enjoy watching you guys race at the port.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 am 
Legend
Legend

Quote:
Agreed HTown is a freaking joke last 2 Speedweeks there track was black after warm ups quick time was 19 seconds last year.

Joke is correct! I remember Steve Swarmer telling me last year he turned a better time there when he was racing, like what 30 or more years ago. Some say it takes skill, but it is a skill I don't care to pay to see with a sprint car.