Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can somebody explain?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:36 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I can understand Hodnett wanting to find out if he could drive, but having determined the answer was no, what was the point of coming out, running a lap in the heat, and pulling in? Is there some points or future handicapping advantage for him as a driver, or for the car owner/team to doing so, rather than having a standby driver take over for the night once it was certain that Hodnett could not race?

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking him for trying, or for choosing to not race. I'm just trying to understand the rationale for what went on, as it seemed to be something being done deliberately and for good reason, rather than just a spur of the moment decision of "Ouch! I guess this isn't going to work..." Not being familiar with all the details of scoring and such, I figured that there must be something that I don't know that would make the "pull on, pull off" strategy make more sense.

Can anybody explain, please, for those of us who don't understand what was going on?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

i believe it was for owner points. money is paid out at the end of the year so i think that was probably the reason. i could be wrong though

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

ziggy196 wrote:
i believe it was for owner points. money is paid out at the end of the year so i think that was probably the reason. i could be wrong though

That was my initial thought, but wouldn't there be more points to be had by having a substitute driver step in a drive the whole race, if Greg was not able? I also thought that maybe they were trying for driver points, but is the difference between not driving at all and starting a heat and pulling off that much?

I admit I don't know as much as a lot of the folks on this board, but none of the explanations that I came up with seemed to make sense, thus the question. I figure that there must be some detail that would make me go "OH! Now I get it!", if I only knew what that subtle fact was.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was wondering that also Warthog. I gotta give Greg lots of credit for getting in there and just doing what he did. But I thought pts were only given for the feature so :dontknow:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:11 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Who's to say he didn't go out there to see if it would bother him, then he realized it would and parked it. They obviously knew they were going to be leaving early by pitting all the way by the gate.

2014 Race Count

Volusia: 4
Lincoln: 6
Williams Grove: 9
Port Royal: 8
Susky: 3
Roaring Knob: 1
Path Valey: 1
Grandview: 2
Selinsgrove: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:28 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Shafner79 wrote:
Who's to say he didn't go out there to see if it would bother him, then he realized it would and parked it. They obviously knew they were going to be leaving early by pitting all the way by the gate.

I give Greg all the credit in the world for trying it. I'm just puzzled by Plan B once he decided he couldn't. I had assumed that for owner points, it would be worth having another driver on the premises and ready to go if Greg couldn't, especially when there are guys like Leppo, Stevie Smith, and probably others I haven't even thought of with no ride at the moment.

But as you say, maybe the team thought that Greg was 99% likely to be able to go, and they just didn't think a backup was going to be needed. It just seemed odd for a team that could probably be in contention for the season points lead to not be in a position to run the car, even if Greg was not in the seat. I'm sure there's an explanation. As always, no owner or driver owes anybody any explanation for what they do or how they choose to run their team, but as a fan, I'm just trying to understand what I see going on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was a pretty good move I thought. Because if some of the cars didn't make the consi or even had enough cars to make a full field, all he would have had to do was take the back of the feature and he would have had owner & driver pts. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

I don't know if WG has a year end point fund for drivers anymore, but at Selinsgrove, all drivers who take a green flag in Hot laps or a heat race receive 100 points. The driver who finishes 24th in the A-main receives 150 points so just appearing is almost as good as qualifying and finishing last.

At Port Royal, all drivers also receive 100 points if they take a green flag. 24th place at Port receives 220 points.

If he is running for points at Port Royal, then my guess would be he would do the same thing tonight at Port. There is also $50 tow money which basically pays for two pit admissions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 pm 
Racer
Racer

What i didn't get is Hodnett knew he couldn't drive after the heat, so why did he enter the Consi knowing he couldn't finish? Had to be a points thing, but like said somewhere else why not a sub driver. I read a Quote from Lee somewhere stating That ( "They didn't want another driver to know what Fast feels Like") Kind of idiotic if you ask me seeing how they haven't really been fast this year yet at all. other than the one win the car sucked or wrecked out. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whatever the reason it was a smart move and hats off to Greg for getting in there

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think he picked up 50 points for trying.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:35 pm 
Racer
Racer

:thinking: Seems like a lot of money spent to get the car there for 50pts :dontknow: I give him props for trying.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm thinking it was more for handicapping. If he does this until he is able to race he will starting up near the front of the feature for a couple of races.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Tow money?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I believe the reason Greg came out on Friday, was for owners points. He elected to start in the back of his heat race.

I applaud Greg for his attempt Friday night. Very brave & courageous driver!!! Putting heat in the motor, running a lap in the heat (as long as he isn't starting mid-pack), bringing the car to the track for owners points wouldn't cost alot. Have to figure, doing this, the car is in one piece, running a few laps is very light on race fuel.

Just a thought. :thumbleft:

"T-o-p-l-e-s-s.... TOPLESS!!"

"Take a nice cool drink..."

2014 Race Counter

Grandview - 5
Kutztown - 1
Lanco - 3
Port Royal - 2
Reading Fairgrounds - 1
Williams Grove - 4