Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:48 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

For those of us on the board who do not have direct knowledge, could somebody give a quick overview of how much difference there is between a winged sprint and a non-winged sprint? I know that the wings go on or come off, but do any other parts need to be changed? Would one need to invest in some set of duplicate parts if running winged and non-winged on the same car, or is it more a matter of keeping the car the same, but changing the set-up?

I understand that for the driver and for the crew, there is definitely a learning curve, but as far as cost, is there any additional investment required to be ready to run competitively in both forms of sprint racing with the same basic car?

I ask because the issue of winged teams running non-winged events or tracks contemplating trying non-winged racing keeps coming up, and I would like to better understand whats involved for the teams.

Thanks in advance to those who can provide a "Winged vs. Non-winged 101" class for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Warthog wrote:
For those of us on the board who do not have direct knowledge, could somebody give a quick overview of how much difference there is between a winged sprint and a non-winged sprint? I know that the wings go on or come off, but do any other parts need to be changed? Would one need to invest in some set of duplicate parts if running winged and non-winged on the same car, or is it more a matter of keeping the car the same, but changing the set-up?

I understand that for the driver and for the crew, there is definitely a learning curve, but as far as cost, is there any additional investment required to be ready to run competitively in both forms of sprint racing with the same basic car?

I ask because the issue of winged teams running non-winged events or tracks contemplating trying non-winged racing keeps coming up, and I would like to better understand whats involved for the teams.

Thanks in advance to those who can provide a "Winged vs. Non-winged 101" class for the rest of us.
The March 11th edition of Winged Nation on the MRN podcasts had Bryon Clauson as a guest and they actually asked him that question. (Big USAC racer that has started transitioning to WoO some) There is quite a bit that is different from what he indicated. If you have never listened to Winged Nation, you gotta get on that particularly if you have an Apple product and do the ITunes thing. Here is a link to that show on their website but you can definitely subscribe to that service all the time. http://www.mrn.com/Media-Center/MRN-Sho ... 077c914a68

Note... I doubt the dangerous comment. I imagine it was made in jest with comparison to the wind and so on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:46 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

We were at Mercer several years ago, and the sprints and midgets each ran two features. The first was non-wing, then they each ran a winged feature, I believe they ran all the heat races non-winged. I don't have any idea what all would need changed on the cars, but I can imagine the setup would be quite different from winged to non-winged. I do remember a few years ago when Gamblers was going to have a non-wing show, I heard that a couple teams were trying to get a wider front axle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:38 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

T-440 wrote:
We were at Mercer several years ago, and the sprints and midgets each ran two features. The first was non-wing, then they each ran a winged feature, I believe they ran all the heat races non-winged. I don't have any idea what all would need changed on the cars, but I can imagine the setup would be quite different from winged to non-winged. I do remember a few years ago when Gamblers was going to have a non-wing show, I heard that a couple teams were trying to get a wider front axle.

I have noticed that when I've seen non-winged cars, the front track did appear wider, and in some case, it even looked slightly offset compared to what I'm used to seeing on winged sprints.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:41 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

The front is wider. My uncle owned a wingless sprint car out in California. Sometimes they ran a bigger fuel tank for more weight. A number of wingless guys like coil over versus torsion bar.

He had a 360 engine in his car that cost him $10,000. VRA makes them run a rock hard right rear, one of the hardest from Hoosier. By running the hard right rear it is more driver and gearing than engine so no need for a big dollar powerplant. Plus he could get three to four full races out of his right rear. Not having the wing and having a hard tire kept the costs way down. Also running a shorter track helps. You can take a ride in his sprint car around Ventura at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GTN3rtILMU

Steve Bubb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

If you would like to discuss non-wing conversions and racing, I own a USAC sprint car based here in PA driven by shane Cottle and I am also partners in a USAC sprint car based in Indiana driven by Hunter Schuerenberg.......Gene @ 610-698-4121