Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hodnett's Crash
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:31 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

There has been multiple times on the front stretch where cars have done violent flips and what not where I think and wonder if anybody had been hit by a flying part at all. Wilts crash last year I believe at the Natty Open when him and three other cars got together. Parts from all cars were flying everywhere towards the grandstands. I can remember in a heat race, for 358 I believe, a tire flew off and cut the wires on the telephone pole and they dropped into the pit area. So anything is realistically possible on any given night.

Grove:13
Lincoln:6
Port:6
Path Valley: 1
Eldora:2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:39 am 
Rookie
Rookie

It's not about eliminating the risk, it's about minimizing it. Look at Port, they changed how the cars enter the speedway. This isn't brain surgery, in today's world you need to be proactive in keeping up with safety. Just because something was safe for 50 years does not mean it's safe today, the cars have changed, the safety equipment has changed, the tracks need to keep up with the change.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

After reading my son's (Brian Exner) comment awakened my thoughts about what we consider unsafe areas at the Grove and I think the most unsafe thing we encounter about seeing the great racing that Williams Grove has to be the trip on a Friday going to the Grove and passing through the PA Turnpike area as you approach (about 5 miles worth) the Northeast Extension of the turnpike with the clowns in the left lane trying to beat the traffic and then at the last minute go to the right lane to take the NE section of the 'Pike. When I think about that, I feel a lot safer at the Grove.

Drive safe and sober everyone and enjoy the great racing at the Grove..............

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thats a good point. Im not saying we need to ignore improvements to tracks, or wait until injury or worse happens to re-evaluate the safety of the racers. But it pisses me off when the media says the tracks are unsafe or paints such a bad picture over racing in general. Fact is the guys racing at the grove every friday night are safer than i am when i jump on my bike and ride to work.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

ohdh wrote:
These types of crashes have happened before in central Pa and others.

Many years ago, Hodnett into the infield at Lincoln.

Coldren in 2012 into the infield with some pieces hitting spectators at Port Royal.

Few years ago at Williams Grove, crash on the front straight and parts, including an axle, into the lower rows of seats behind the starters stand.The one that I fear the most happening, is a car getting over the chain link fence at Williams Grove and bouncing through the front straight pits.

For a lot of tracks, better fencing and posts at critical areas, would do wonders for the safety of their drivers, crews and fans and probably would not cost a ton of money to implement.

If you are thinking about the same accident as I, the drivers name was Ned Powers. The entire front axle landed several rows deep in the bleachers. Fortunately it was a night when the stands weren't full and I don't think it hit anyone. If that would have landed in a packed row of seats, someone else would own the speedway. :laughing7: There was a video on YouTube but I'm too lazy to search for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5olgwlV7kk

Unfortunately it looks like it was filmed in about 118p.