Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: track conditions
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have been going to the grove since 1982..the last couple of years it has gotten bad.the last two weeks we have payed big dollars to see what fallow the leader...the track is a one groove slow track.time trails in the mid to high18's.Thats sad..all they want to do is set fireworks off.I'm not their to see stupid fireworks nor is the rest of the fans or racers.if Justin an pinky think that sells tickets keepitup..you crowd is getting less every week.[/color][/color]

Post subject: Re: track conditions
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Track conditions have really sucked. The weather has not helped but you can't wait until Friday morning to prepare a racetrack. Bringing the grader out Friday night and pulling the loose stuff off the top is not race track prep. Good racetracks are made during the week and then kept up through the course of the evening. Having warm-ups and then going straight to time trials on a racetrack 1 1/2 lanes wide really sucks. The trucks should have been on the track right after warm-ups so drivers could pick their spots to qualify on. 18 second time trials are a preview of a lousy evening of racing coming up. As far as fireworks are concerned I believe they should have them when they have a large kids crowd but not as a regular part of the show. The Grove is becoming more well known for having fireworks than the good racing that people have come to expect from Williams Grove. This really need to change because there are more people talking about the lousy track conditions than the really good competitive racing. NOT GOOD!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:11 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I actually thought the track was in good shape at all the races leading up to the WoO shows. I decided to skip last week cause of how bad it was for the WoO shows.

Williamsgrove - 15
Port Royal - 8
Path Valley - 1
Hagerstown - 1
McKean County - 1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have skipped 2 or 3 weeks at a time the past few years after a night or two of lousy track conditions. I think in general they have the track prepared ok, but why do they feel the need to pound the cushion with water trucks after every race? I just cant figure that out :doh:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Regarding lap times, get used to it, they are going to be going up, not down. For various reasons, engines, wings, tires, etc., the cars have been getting faster and closer to the pre-weight rule times. Whether we like it or not, the cars are locked down and probably going to fast for the 410 class.

I think some of the track prep is actually experimentation in how to prep the track while attempting to achieve slower lap times. I'm ok with the slower lap times, but I would like to see more side by side racing and passing than what we have been getting. I spoke with a Port official a few weeks ago, and they are trying to prep the track to keep the dust down, not slick over and take rubber BUT slow the cars down. And this may be what the Grove is trying to accomplish also.

Spoke to an old friend over the weekend who is still racing modifieds at Bridgeport, and they have openly admitted to trying to prep the track to slow the cars down, increase side by side racing and passing without having the track take rubber at the same time. He says to a degree, they have succeeded with that goal.

Racing has always been about going faster, but at what cost??

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:53 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I don't believe any of that, There are racetracks that are always dry and still have no dust. It's more about the type of clay on the track. Grandview is a dust bowl but the racing is usually really good. To say the cars are getting faster and the lap times are getting slower makes no sense at all especially when time trials are early in the program when the track should be at it's best. Listen to a the Outlaw shows and many times in the feature the cars will be running close to qualifying times. There are times when you have to bring the water trucks out and run-in the racetrack like they do elsewhere. When was the last time they called all the push trucks to the racetrack to help run it in? If you have time for fireworks, you have time for track prep.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:04 am 
Legend
Legend

Is the track prepped differently from Friday to Saturday Night? It seems to me the tracks been in pretty good condition and very racy for the SNS when I've been able to attend.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:24 am 
Legend
Legend

Had a 3 hr conversationon Sunday with a driver who races at the Grove and he told me he loved the track the past 2 weeks. Said its the kind of track he loves to race on. Guess what the fans like and what the drivers Luke are two different things.

My next question was who is more important? And we disagreed on the answer.

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

You need to talk to the other 23 drivers who frequent the Grove. Doubt seriously if you would get the same reaction. Maybe it was because no one could pass him like they usually do! I'm done with this topic. $30 bucks to sit in the Grandstand and $40 bucks in the pits to watch that show was a disgrace. Nuff said.......

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Who really cares if its slow or fast, dry and slick or heavy, dusty or not. Bottom line is the best type of track will be one that has multiple grooves and allows the drivers to pass. As long as there are different lines that work come feature time, who cares how you accomplish that?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

That is true "blueandblack21" but it ain't getting accomplished! The racing has sucked or are you in another world? Winners are coming from the front two rows so it's not a racers race, it's the luck of the draw. Last week the top four cars started in the two front rows and that is pretty much the way it stayed. Is that good racing? I don't think so. Anyone who thought it was good racing doesn't really know much about racing. It's more of a parade than a race, the only thing missing were some fast floats with some pretty girls. They really need to do more work on the track. You cannot prep a track to handle 25 to 30 900 HP sprint cars in one day. OK, I'm done with this post because I know the track people are not going to listen to anyone on the message board so ADIOS!"

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:48 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

this is not the first month that the track crew has seen a sun in the sky or a flag blowing in the wind...if you cant improve, you don't have your eye on the ball.

I sat thru 2 straight weeks of pussyfooting around the bottom...many already checked out last week - strike 3 and you are out...just sayin'.

Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2013: 49 Races
Grove: 25 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 2 / Susky: 4 / Selinsgrove: 2 / Eldora: 2 / Lima: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Im gonna go this week but if its bad again idk how long i'll wait to go back. Its showing in the stands, the Friday outlaws crowd was horrible IMO empty seats everywhere.

Williamsgrove - 15
Port Royal - 8
Path Valley - 1
Hagerstown - 1
McKean County - 1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

racer33 wrote:
That is true "blueandblack21" but it ain't getting accomplished! The racing has sucked or are you in another world? Winners are coming from the front two rows so it's not a racers race, it's the luck of the draw. Last week the top four cars started in the two front rows and that is pretty much the way it stayed. Is that good racing? I don't think so. Anyone who thought it was good racing doesn't really know much about racing. It's more of a parade than a race, the only thing missing were some fast floats with some pretty girls. They really need to do more work on the track. You cannot prep a track to handle 25 to 30 900 HP sprint cars in one day. OK, I'm done with this post because I know the track people are not going to listen to anyone on the message board so ADIOS!"

I never said i was happy with the track or the racing. I was probably the first to **** and moan after the friday outlaw race. Just making a general track prep statement.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:41 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45
As bad and cold as this winter was, and the fact that these tracks sat frozen for probably about 2 months longer then normal, and now all this rain, I'm just happy the tracks are open at all... I've said it before and I'll say it again, you want a perfectly groomed track??? Go watch an asphalt race, otherwise sit back and just enjoy watching these amazing machine and the amazing people who drive them do what they do...