Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: USAC @ the Grove
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I for one would like to see more than 1 Super Late Model race there every year and the Big Block Modifieds there as well. Hats off to Todd Fisher at Susquehanna who added the Sportsman Modifieds to a few of their shows. I think a Super Dirt Series race at the Grove would be awesome. They used to run their every year but like the Late Models are a thing of the past. I guess with other tracks running those types of cars, it would be hard to try and schedule them throughout the year but the Late Models just finished their Speed week and only 4 tracks were on their schedule. Add the Grove with the same purse and people will come to see them. Heck put the 358/360 Sprints or Street Stocks as the undercard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:55 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

hotrodney wrote:
The Grove had 2 great shows Friday night with the 410's and 360's with 62 total sprints. What do they need USAC for? None of the top 410 teams are gonna run wingless

The car count Friday night was great and yeah none of the top teams are going to change their cars around for one race. Its not about the local guys when USAC comes to town in my mind. For those guys to travel 10 hours to race is asking a lot, but they do it. Even some of the local low budget teams change out their cars to race with them. The car counts averaged 23 cars during the 5 races scheduled, which if you thing about it is pretty good. I witnessed several people who saw their 1st USAC race grinning because the hair stood up on their arms at how the drivers handle their cars. Its a pretty hair-raising experience for sure. Although I don't think the Grove would have an enormous crowd if they were added to the schedule, I do however know that they would be quite happy with the number of people that went through the gates. Especially if your charging $25 admission for the grandstands and $35 for the Pits. Sounds like a no-brainer to me :bdf:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 am 
Rookie
Rookie

racer33 wrote:
Yeah......Like you know what you're talking about. Thank God that's just YOUR opinion so real race fans don't have to take it seriously............

But you do know everything about everything and your opinion is worth so much more than my opinion. :thinking:

How about, you spend your money going to see what you like and I'll spend my money on what I like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

This forum is all about opinion. Whether or not you convince anyone to see things your way or not is not important, What's important is that you get to read someone else's opinion on the subject matter and you can weigh it for what you think it's worth and make your own decisions. It's not about being combative or arguing a point but rather seeing someone's point of view. Agree or disagree.....it doesn't matter. I understand where you are coming from and I respect your opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:05 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Lincoln provided the track for the USAC / URC show but it was promoted by someone else.

what if a few wingless fans pulled together the money and made a similar deal with the Grove and planned a race for a week night that did not conflict with the normal Friday / Sat schedule?

or maybe the Grove is not open to that kind of deal?

Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2013: 49 Races
Grove: 25 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 2 / Susky: 4 / Selinsgrove: 2 / Eldora: 2 / Lima: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Lots of "what if's"......."If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts it would be christmas every day." I think we have beat this horse to death. We have all expressed many different viewpoints on this matter but I personally am signing off on this one. Been a pleasure chatting with all of you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:36 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

If they were going to do it, it would have been this year, the 75th anniversary....... BUT why pay respect to what got "The Grove" all the notoriety. That was years ago..... :ahhh: :ahhhh: :ahhh:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Didnt they have them scheduled a few years back but it kept raining out? Maybe they bring rain like the super late models so they just gave up on them :poking:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I went to Port Royal last year for USAC. I Feel they put on a better show at smaller tracks like Grandview, Lincoln and Big Diamond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53 pm 
Legend
Legend

BigRightRear wrote:
Lincoln provided the track for the USAC / URC show but it was promoted by someone else.

what if a few wingless fans pulled together the money and made a similar deal with the Grove and planned a race for a week night that did not conflict with the normal Friday / Sat schedule?

no, but TW is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:04 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

c4 wrote:
BigRightRear wrote:

no, but TW is.

I'll promote a USAC, wingless sportsman, and ARDC show at Path Valley! :redpepper:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 am 
Legend
Legend

Deez Nuts wrote:
c4 wrote:
BigRightRear wrote:

no, but TW is.

I'll promote a USAC, wingless sportsman, and ARDC show at Path Valley! :redpepper:

Add 600cc Wingless Micros and make it a two day show! :bdf:

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:16 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

topwing66$ wrote:
hotrodney wrote:
The Grove had 2 great shows Friday night with the 410's and 360's with 62 total sprints. What do they need USAC for? None of the top 410 teams are gonna run wingless

The car count Friday night was great and yeah none of the top teams are going to change their cars around for one race. Its not about the local guys when USAC comes to town in my mind. For those guys to travel 10 hours to race is asking a lot, but they do it. Even some of the local low budget teams change out their cars to race with them. The car counts averaged 23 cars during the 5 races scheduled, which if you thing about it is pretty good. I witnessed several people who saw their 1st USAC race grinning because the hair stood up on their arms at how the drivers handle their cars. Its a pretty hair-raising experience for sure. Although I don't think the Grove would have an enormous crowd if they were added to the schedule, I do however know that they would be quite happy with the number of people that went through the gates. Especially if your charging $25 admission for the grandstands and $35 for the Pits. Sounds like a no-brainer to me :bdf:

I see your point but what about all the local teams that support the Grove every week and the fans of these drivers? That's WG's bread and butter and I don't know how they'd feel about having a week off. If Big Diamond knew how to prepare a track that wasn't a dustbowl, USAC would still have a Friday night date. I went to 2 USAC shows at Big Diamond but didn't "see" either one. The drivers couldn't see either and that's why USAC said they'd never come back. It's a shame because BD can be a great track if they can keep the dust issue under control. It is great for mods because they don't kick up the dirt like a sprint does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:22 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Deez Nuts wrote:
c4 wrote:
BigRightRear wrote:

no, but TW is.

PV seems like it is tailor-made for wingless racing. A wide, high-banked, circular bullring + wingless = some serious sideways, wheel to wheel action. ARDC alone would probably be phenomenal at that track.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:30 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I have been to see at least two of the USAC shows since they have been coming to town. Rain is the only thing that keeps me from seeing more. I love to see the 410's with wings, but must confess that seeing the local guys like Bitner, Kobylarz, Montieth, Pauch, etc. go from a tentative wingless driver to a confident one in two races (and moving up through the pack) warms my heart. If you are a sprint car fan, to see the wingless guys is to love them. They have taken hold with their Eastern Storm, and it is a successful series by most standards.
-there needs to be a separate additional payout for the local guys for the series with both money and bragging rights.
Teams and owners love that stuff.
-WG would be a good stop as an "anchor" show for them due to the history and educated, loyal fan base. Should be biggest payout of the tour.

Remember, that's what they looked like when WG started running them, and when I first saw them at Reading in the 60's.
I thought they were either crazy or the bravest guys I ever saw. Don't be critical until you see them.