Inversion

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Inversion

Post by racer33 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:27 am

Still cannot figure out this "pill draw". We have time trials for pretty much no good reason because we then invert at least the top four or five for the heat races and that is supposed to make the racing good for the fans. Yeah, right! Sure didn't do it last night. How many passes for position in the heats last night? When they drew the feature inversion the pills were 4, 6 and eight. Where was the 0 pill? You might just as well tell the top two qualifiers that their hard work at timing got them next to nothing. What it got them was 7th and 8th back in dirty air where they really had no chance at the win. 0, 4, and 6 is as far as this stupid inversion thing should go. I guess they think that bringing the fast qualifier on the front stretch to pull a pill is really exciting. I know i was on the edge of my seat waiting to see who got screwed by this pill draw. You should just make a rule that if you time first or second you get the green weenie and your chance to win has just been harpooned. Last night was proof that the draw only helps the guys who can't time well. If you are going to have a time trial show you should make qualifying count for something other than getting screwed.

Wolfgang29
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Inversion

Post by Wolfgang29 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 am

I think the inversion adds a little drama, but I agree there should be a 0 pill too. Give the fast timers a shot to start on the front row at least. I also think there should be a dash. If you're gonna run the Outlaw format, run the whole thing. At least it gives the guys that may have gotten a bad inversion draw a chance to pick up a spot or two.
Mach 1 mob

racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Post by racer33 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:39 am

Agreed!!

kdog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kdog » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:49 am

Its amazing how Dietrich is in time trials but how fast he is in the race. Always seems to time so he is on the pole for heat. SANDBAGGER

GOSHOW
Legend
Legend

Post by GOSHOW » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:21 am

If you can sandbag tenths of a second per lap you probably deserve to start on the front row. I agree with the inversion question though you probably could have started any of the top 8 on the pole and had a hard time beating them. Such is the case of todays racing..Time 5th 6th 7th 8th you pretty much screwed yourself for running a pretty good time but not good enough..or bad enough..
:dontknow:

Wolfgang29
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wolfgang29 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

DD went out 2nd for TT's...even if he was amazing enough to know what time he was currently running without in-car communication & even more amazing enough to lift or brake to add a tenth or hundreth of a second (impossible btw)...he would not have know what time he needed to run to hit the inversion just right. Really, with a few exceptions, DD hasn't been a great timer. It's just luck
Mach 1 mob

BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Wolfgang29 wrote:I think the inversion adds a little drama, but I agree there should be a 0 pill too. Give the fast timers a shot to start on the front row at least. I also think there should be a dash. If you're gonna run the Outlaw format, run the whole thing. At least it gives the guys that may have gotten a bad inversion draw a chance to pick up a spot or two.
The dash is a race that has never excited me. Cause at the most thats all youll see...one guy pick up a spot or two. It adds time to the show because we have to wait between those races for them to get their cars ready. And i hate to see a guy that earned a spot in the feature, whether it be through time trials or heat finish, lose that because of a wreck or mechanical failure.

If you have to run time trials, i think the format was ok. Just add a 0 pill :thumbright:

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:00 pm

how exciting for the fans would a race be if the fast timer started on the pole. if the fastes guy can't pass from 8th due to dirty air the 8th fastest timer sure as heck aint. the invert IS an attempt to make the racing more interesting for the fans. of course i understand that the race teams would rather start at the front but without the butts in the seat, well you know.
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:25 pm

How about, instead of an inversion, have the top 4 timers plus the 4 heat winners each re-draw for starting position? Adds some drama and gives them all a chance to start upfront. I'd be in favor of dropping the heat race inversion too and start them heads up. The cars are so equal now that inverting 4 just starts another fast car on the pole, that didn't really earn it.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

Ted
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by Ted » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Yea you can say that Scott but did the fastest guy deserve to start on the pole absolutely because they deserved it. Ya know there was one series in the late model world called the UFO series where we pill drawed and I've seen it happen a number of times where a fast guy started last in the heat won his heat and they redrew the top 16 starting spots and he had to start 12th-16th now tell me how that's right and you know in the 5 years of that series the average starting spot for the winner was 2.3. The butts in the stands didnt care that joe hambone started on the pole and walked away with it and the hitters ran 10th 13th and 17th but it was a great show for 10-15th but who really watches that far back every lap. The butts don't understand that everything is so equal anymore the days where some a guy started 12th and wins every week is way over that happens once in a great while. I honestly think time trial start heads up in the heat let the winners of the heat redraw 1-4 and let the 2nd place heat finishers draw for 5-8. That way the fast guys are gunna be all together might be better racing might not won't know untill it's tried.
Miller time turned to Schlitz time!.
12 out of last 16

psn tag: thefurb1593

racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Post by racer33 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:00 pm

I agree with "hotrodney".... if you earn it you should get it!!!

Bill Mc
Legend
Legend

Post by Bill Mc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Hope they do this every week that way I can spend more time doing other things on the weekends.
Central PA 358 Racing Series - http://www.centralparacing.com
Central PA Racing Scene - http://www.centralparacingscene.com
2015 race count

Williams Grove-2
Lincoln- 7
Trail Way -2
Port - 1
Action Track -
Susquehanna -

12 races in 2016
43 races in 2015
43 races in 2014
40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Scott Harro » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:39 pm

i know the race teams want to start heads up, no inversion etc. but this is a fan driven sport and if the fans aren't happy there won't be any races for the teams to start last or first in so something has to give. if the fastest guys start up front every week you might as well pull up a chair on third street in sunbury and watch the train go by.
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:02 am

Scott Harro wrote:i know the race teams want to start heads up, no inversion etc. but this is a fan driven sport and if the fans aren't happy there won't be any races for the teams to start last or first in so something has to give. if the fastest guys start up front every week you might as well pull up a chair on third street in sunbury and watch the train go by.
A. Speedweek races are gonna be packed no matter what the format.
B. What you say was true 10-15 years ago but now the cars are so equal, you can invert half the field and still have a freight train race.
C. These aren't regular weekly shows, there are more cars and tougher competition. Like someone already said, the days of the winner coming from 12th every week are long gone.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am

0,4,6...throw away the 8.

The two slowest cars that make the transfer should be left out of the draw...they already won their way to starting well ahead of other driver who timed better than them by virtue of winning the heat.

Lucas was screwed by the 8 pill and given the nature of the "parity" that has flooded reporting on 410s, it is time to stick the penalty box of a second invert in the same event where the sun don't shine.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1