Information for 1st time visit from out of town?

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
ry1954
Rookie
Rookie

Information for 1st time visit from out of town?

Post by ry1954 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:30 am

Will be traveling from Alabama to visit wife's family. Finally will be able to attend a race at Williams Grove, Saturday July 19, to see the Pa. Possey & the Outlaws!! Have some questions? We will be seated on the front stretch, from what I can tell by the seating arrangement pretty high. Do we need glasses (goggles), earplugs.

What would be the best time to arrive at the track to park, possibly avoid traffic, etc. We are used to Talladega & Bristol traffic, murder!!!

Thanks for the ad & can't wait!!!!

DavidM
Legend
Legend

Re: Information for 1st time visit from out of town?

Post by DavidM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:00 am

If this is your first time at the Grove get there a bit early for nothing more then to soak in the atmosphere. I'd recommend ear protection for anyone attending races. One more thing, you should take some time and go into the infield. There is a tunnel under the track in turn one. Go watch warm-ups or time trials from either end of the track. You'll be happy you did!
If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do" Warren Miller

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

bmd5229
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by bmd5229 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Watch where you sit. Yellow seats are people who bought "outlaw reserved seats" and red are season seat holders. You can try your luck in them and hope people don't have those seats. Would definitely bring glasses since it's usually very dusty for the Summer Nationals.
"Believe deep down in your heart that you are destined to do great things." - JVP

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:52 pm

traffic is not too much of an issue - parking and wait times in the line are much larger concerns.

plan to arrive early and take it all in - bring a hoodie (it has been cool regardless of the global warming bullsh!t you here on TV), goggles and ear plugs (if you like that) and a small cooler with NO GLASS inside.

Watch for the White #51 and yell "Hip Hip HooRahmer!"
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

Th3Swami
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Th3Swami » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:55 pm

id get a reserved seat if you have the ability otherwise youll be sitting pretty low. i wouldnt "try your luck." why invite trouble ya know...

mdvtfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mdvtfan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Bring your scanner too.

451.926-Grove Track Officials (Should be the Outlaw officials too)

If not, look from 450-470Mhz range

One thing my wife and I did last Friday was to go to Hershey and stop by the Chocolate World. They have free parking and a free tour of Chocolate World (not going into the park). You can also pick up some candy there too!

We then went to the Outlets, and then to Troeg's Brewery for a tour (we ended up eating dinner there too). It was about 30 mins from there to the track

Those trips plus the racing made it a great day!

Highside
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Highside » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:27 pm

you wont have any problems at all with traffic...and if you get there by 5 you won't have any problems finding parking on the front stretch

it is a little dusty but not like a lot of dirt tracks around the country, you will prob look out of place wearing goggles on the front stretch stands...but like with earplugs, i suppose it wouldn't hurt to have them but far from a necessity

main grandstands are non smoking btw

hope you have a good experience

BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Id suggest getting there plenty early to wait in line for a good seat. Last outlaw show they opened the backstretch gates at least an hr earlier than advertised, and we got screwed out of our "normal" friday night seats. As someone else said, go to the infield for hot laps, to check out the t shirts, and walk across the bridge just for the hell of it.

If you have time i also recommend checking out the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing (EMMR)
Lots of cool stuff there you wont believe what you see :thumbleft:

Welcome! :cheers2:

ry1954
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ry1954 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the information. Great tips. Def will check out the infield & soak up the atmosphere. Can't wait, finally get to watch live after watching on tv. Thanks again everyone!!

poolguy
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by poolguy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 am

I don't know if you can do it anymore, but you used to be able to go into the pits on the back stretch and check out all the cars and trailers. :jiggy:

Also, go to the infield and buy a sausage sandwich with peppers and onions for around $5.
It was only in the infield. :yessss:

I would go early and check everything out. If you are young enough, walk through the campsite with all the campers. :laughing7:

I would go and get there around 3 or 4PM.

cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by cjettmail » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 pm

You must see hot laps from the infield turn 3, You get close & it's a good feel for the speed. I've been going to the Grove for more then 30 years & I still go in to the infield turn 3 & work my way down to turn 2 & 1, a few times a year just for hot laps!!!!!!!

HotRodBob
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by HotRodBob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:23 am

Bring a lawn chair and sit in the infield. Then you don't have to be concerned about who's seats you are in. Very little dust. Also, as someone else mentioned, if you have any spare time at all, do yourself a favor and check out the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing. It is a short drive (15 minutes) from Williams Grove. You will be glad you did. Tons of local dirt track history plus other motorsports. Here's the link:

http://www.emmr.org

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 am

According to his first post I'm assuming he already has his seating taken care of on the front stretch.
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 am

Most of all , take it all in and have fun.
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

ry1954
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ry1954 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:01 am

Do have reserve tickets on front stretch. Thanks for all the tips. Definitely going into the pits, sausage dog... I am all over that. Will check the whole scene out, including the hot laps from different parts of the track. Will check out the museum while there also. We don't have much in dirt here in Alabama, at least nothing close to Pa. Love your weather & all the racing you have there, as well as the food!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all the help!!!