WSS

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
MehalickMotorsports14
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

WSS

Post by MehalickMotorsports14 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:51 pm

if i read correctly, is the grove seriously going to host a world series of sprint cars event?

sprntlover
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WSS

Post by sprntlover » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:42 pm

For those that want to read about it here is the link http://www.williamsgrove.com/jackgunn.htm
Editing Is A Rewording Activity

cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by cjettmail » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 pm

This may be dumb ? But what is the WSS race & when is it?? And this is @ the Grove?

Cobra
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Cobra » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Yah.... Finally two heats per car...

Hopefully it catches on... And next year a normal night can have two 6 lap heats per car (no time trials) with a fully inverted 2nd heat.. With passing points to determine the feature line up.

Then the racers eliminate luck if the draw in either time trial positions, or the one heart race.

Tig88
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Tig88 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 pm

OMG, if its not Outlaw approved this wont fly with certain people.
I use to like Oreo Cookies and Chocolate milk.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:21 pm

This format will make the heats interesting but usually makes the feature a snoozer. It virtually guarantees the fastest cars will be on the front row. I guess that's what some people like though. :dontknow: IMO 2 rounds of heats is dumb. Add those extra laps to where it pays...the feature.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

MehalickMotorsports14
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by MehalickMotorsports14 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm

personally I think running a WSS format works out better. More track time helps you understand what the track's going to do and helps you set it up for the feature.

Mr. Port

Post by Mr. Port » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:53 pm

hotrodney wrote:This format will make the heats interesting but usually makes the feature a snoozer. It virtually guarantees the fastest cars will be on the front row. I guess that's what some people like though. :dontknow: IMO 2 rounds of heats is dumb. Add those extra laps to where it pays...the feature.
+2

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:33 pm

It is a miracle in itself that something new (old to oz) is actually being tested here..After all...what we have right now is the stale formula that took capacity crowds in the 70s down to comments like "where is everybody"?

Folks can always visit the pizza line during the second round of heats if they are bored.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:02 pm

BigRightRear wrote:It is a miracle in itself that something new (old to oz) is actually being tested here..After all...what we have right now is the stale formula that took capacity crowds in the 70s down to comments like "where is everybody"?

Folks can always visit the pizza line during the second round of heats if they are bored.
No, you'll want to watch the second round of heats and hit the pizza line for the feature with this format. The passing points systems have been tested many times the last few years and have produced some of the most boring features on record.

I'm a little confused though. I thought one of the main arguments against the handicapping invert was that it started the slow cars upfront thus causing accidents. :thinking: Now we're going to have a second round of heats with the slowest cars upfront? :thinking: Why do want to risk taking more cars out before the feature when car counts are already low for regular shows? Try anything once I guess.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Allen Reed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:04 pm

hotrodney wrote:This format will make the heats interesting but usually makes the feature a snoozer. It virtually guarantees the fastest cars will be on the front row. I guess that's what some people like though. :dontknow: IMO 2 rounds of heats is dumb. Add those extra laps to where it pays...the feature.
+3

May work well with 9 car avg. the sidewinders get per event. Just don't seeing it working with 20+ cars, let alone a bigger show with 30-35 cars.... jmo

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Passing points system sucks!
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm

I just got a call from an Australian who set me straight...so maybe Rodney is correct...the surface will suck all night long!
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

NEWBOMB TURK
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by NEWBOMB TURK » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 pm

Gotta give them credit for trying something new! Hopefully it works out. :thumbright:
This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

dustyroad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dustyroad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:52 pm

I read the format for the WSS and it made my head spin.
We should K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid.
I am an owner/driver of a 410 so I have some skin in the game.

Here is a crazy idea. How about having draws for the heats and make the heats start less cars and run 10 to 12 laps so the fast experienced teams could put their knowledge into effect because there high dollar shocks and hired crew chiefs would maybe make their cars faster in the latter laps. You know instead of 10 cars in a heat for 8 laps how about 6 cars for 10 laps or 8 cars for 12 laps and take 4 for the feature. And then make the features 30 laps and let the cream rise to the top.

Lets make passing mean something, this is racing not drag racing where time means everything. I can not believe all the fans that like time trials. I say again it is passing that means something. The All Star and USAC formats are some of the worst a driver could in theory pass the same car three times in one night before it counts just because of a bad time trial lap. Again we want passing and I want to get something for what I earned like passing a car in the heat or B-main and then starting ahead of them in the feature.

Also why do the big teams like the WoO and All Star format so much. I could never figure out why they like running a dash, that is like running a mini feature before the main feature, eight cars run a longer feature that the rest of the field. I mean why run the car in the dash and take a chance on wadding it up before the feature, I know to get a better starting spot but risk versus reward. But these same teams hate a draw race, where I might add a pass means something for the feature.
Like I said less cars in the heats more laps and more heats but easier for the fans to understand.