Wheel covers flying off

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
Raz59
Rookie
Rookie

Wheel covers flying off

Post by Raz59 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Last few laps of the Outlaw feature i saw a wheel cover come off of Dewease or Schatz and fly about 70-80 feet into the air and half the length of the backstretch.

Then, during the Saturday night Sportsman race this past week, one came off at the end of the frontstretch and went flying way up in the air and straight down over the 1st turn fence.

I know this has happened in the past but it seems to be happening more now then ever. I was telling some others about this and they all have said they have seen others coming off.

It's getting a little scary for me. I bring a 10 year old and 7 year old to the races every week. I try to keep them as safe as possible but those things are out of control and the way they went flying, if it's coming at you, there is nothing you are going to do.

Question is, what can they do about it? Go back to foam? Bolt on? Or, do we just hope to stay lucky and not worry about it?

I have raced myself and have been part of teams for years. We accept the dangers that come with the sport. But the fans??? We need to do whatever it takes to keep them safe.
Go Pack!!!!!

sprntlover
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wheel covers flying off

Post by sprntlover » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 pm

I have that same concern. I saw wheel covers flying off many times and did see the Lance or Donny one fly off. There was one that flew off at Lincoln and was flying like a frisbee over the people in grandstands and hit someone's arm and cut it pretty good. So glad it wasn't his head or neck.
Editing Is A Rewording Activity

mark@xxxraceco.com
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mark@xxxraceco.com » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Some wheel companies are making 5 dzus wheel covers that help somewhat.

polarbear119
Rookie
Rookie

Post by polarbear119 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm

What needs done is to find these flyers and try to figure out what is happening. There is only 2 things I have seen cause covers to take flight and that is driver induced damage and lack of preventative maintenance. Being a tire man for the past 25 or so years on both 410 & 358's, I've always made it priority to replace anything that was not bad. I've always kept spare springs and dzus buttons on hand and also spare covers and beadlocks in case one was bad. Anytime you install a cover you know if the dzus feels right and if it doesn't feel right it get's fixed. I agree we need to address the safety aspect of these but we need to start with seeing what the causes are before we blindly throw more rules out there.

c4
Legend
Legend

Post by c4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:12 pm

every point you made is valid except for when the car is being pushed out and the thrash is going on.....adjust the tire pressure....cover doesnt feel right....go with it and fix it later.....there lies the potential problem.
that or the person putting the cover on either doesnt know that all three buttons have to be engaged ("two is good enough for now"), or doesnt know what "feels right" feels like.....
and in all reality, all it takes is to bang a nice cushion the wrong way or someone elses wheel and its enough to knock one of the buttons loose.
duct tape works, foam is ok till it gets pushed in by mud, plastic covers with rounded edges seem to be the best all around good idea thats out there right now but, as far as i know, weld is the only manufacturer making them and they only fit weld wheels. nothing takes the place of making sure the springs are adjusted correctly and provide enough tension to lock the button in.

DIRT-MAN
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by DIRT-MAN » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Na lets wait to someone gets hurt bad then try and fix the problem.

c4
Legend
Legend

Post by c4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:07 pm

do you have a solution?

bskarter4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bskarter4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Bassett makes plastic ones for the IMCA cars, but the crapshoot would be how the dzus holes line up.

I was going to get some of that poly sheeting that stock car guys used to use for bodywork & trim and make my own. With a circle cutter on a Dremel, they would be a snap to cut. Trace your dzus holes and punch with a unibit.

pajamie
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by pajamie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Dominator makes plastic covers that fit Weld Wheels.. I have a few of them for the late model.. I've had 1 come off this season and I have no idea how or why.. I put another cover on the same wheel and the dzus buttons snapped.. checked the springs..I tugged on it and nothing was loose.. Fastak late model series is actually outlawing wheel covers next season after one flying off and into the stands..

http://www.dominatorraceproducts.com/

T-440
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by T-440 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:42 am

Is there anyway that they could have a small tether cord attached between the wheel and the cover?

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Yup , I'd like to see the wheel cover flying around on a tether. :handoverhead:
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wentworth09w » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:07 pm

There has to be some solution to it. I saw the one come flying off this week, if it had happened closer to the beginning of the front stretch someone in the stands would have had a much different night.

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 pm

The tracks are so dry that the chances of packing a wheel with dust is minimal...time for a new safe invention.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

kossuth
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kossuth » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:22 pm

The true problem is the thing is aerodynamic like a frisbee and is being tossed at about 130 mph. I'm not 100% sure how much less deadly a plastic cover would be over a metal one. At 130 mph I think either could cause major injury. I'm no engineer but seems to me the best way to keep them from launching is to make them as unaerodynamic as possible. Somebody mentioned I think over on hoseheads to put some sorta flap on the inside. Sounded like a decent idea, but not so sure how you could keep the deal balanced etc while it was on the car.

My idea is pretty simple. Take a piece of adhesive backed foam about 3-4 inches thick and attach it to the inside part of the metal/plastic covers. That way when the deal comes off there the foam will catch the air like a sail and either drive it into the ground or toss it upwards dissipating the energy.

Not so sure how it would work in practice being I'm in no way an engineer but to me if you make it as unaerodynamic as possible when on its own it won't fly (as fast/far)

MehalickMotorsports14
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by MehalickMotorsports14 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:56 pm

another simple solution to do is just tape the end of the button... how many wheel covers have come off and there's no tape on the buttons?