Wheel covers flying off

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
baldtireman
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Wheel covers flying off

Post by baldtireman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Raz59 wrote:Last few laps of the Outlaw feature i saw a wheel cover come off of Dewease or Schatz and fly about 70-80 feet into the air and half the length of the backstretch.

Then, during the Saturday night Sportsman race this past week, one came off at the end of the frontstretch and went flying way up in the air and straight down over the 1st turn fence.

I know this has happened in the past but it seems to be happening more now then ever. I was telling some others about this and they all have said they have seen others coming off.

It's getting a little scary for me. I bring a 10 year old and 7 year old to the races every week. I try to keep them as safe as possible but those things are out of control and the way they went flying, if it's coming at you, there is nothing you are going to do.

Question is, what can they do about it? Go back to foam? Bolt on? Or, do we just hope to stay lucky and not worry about it?

I have raced myself and have been part of teams for years. We accept the dangers that come with the sport. But the fans??? We need to do whatever it takes to keep them safe.
Nobody brought up the plastic dzus buttons that are JUNK........
:roll:

Dave Exner
Pit Member
Pit Member

Re: Wheel covers flying off

Post by Dave Exner » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 am

Sad to think that it will be taken care of after a fan gets hit with one.

I look at the outside guardrail and there are a few places on the the backstretch that look scary.
Lot of slack in the cable. Would never pass the NJSP inspectors in NJ.
I hate cold weather more than politicians..............