8-8-2014 Williams Grove Highlights

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
KathyG
Rookie
Rookie

8-8-2014 Williams Grove Highlights

Post by KathyG » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:39 pm

8-8-2014 Williams Grove Highlights (Rick Lafferty Crash)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63_mxPfy0Pg

Enjoy!

supertc88
Legend
Legend

Re: 8-8-2014 Williams Grove Highlights

Post by supertc88 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:43 pm

NICE video! :thumbright:

Thanks KathyG! :thumbright:
Central PA - Home of the PA POSSE and the Best Dirt Track Racin' in America!

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

nowingsjeff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nowingsjeff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Can someone explain why they put Bower back one row when it was the other car that jumped on the feature start? How do you justify penalizing a car that didn't do anything wrong?

BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Thats just how the rule is. Been that way as long as i can remember :dontknow:

Dave Exner
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Dave Exner » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:16 pm

I have seen this rule used at other tracks and it really is not fair to the driver who is the one that didn't violate the rule.

Glad to see everyone was okay with the Rick Lafferty accident. I had my eye on him through the first and second turns and he hit the inside guard rail coming out of turn two and looked okay when he went past the bridge and then all heck broke loose. Nasty looking crash.

Great to see the show move along and it got us back home before 12:30 am and even got tied up in a traffic problem on the PA Turnpike that had a vehicle rolled over.

Drive safe and sober everyone...................DX
I hate cold weather more than politicians..............

nowingsjeff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nowingsjeff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:54 pm

BlueOnBlack21 wrote:Thats just how the rule is. Been that way as long as i can remember :dontknow:
Really? I still like an explanation why. Been going to sprintcar races since I got out of High School in 78, Have seen them run from coast to coast and in between and don't ever remember seeing that before. Although I must admit I quit going to winged sprintcar races in 1991.

Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Allen Reed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 pm

There are a couple things that take place on a start.

1. The pole position sets the pace.... meaning the speed they come to the line for the start.
2. The pole position gets the courtesy to decide when to go. There is a range of about 30 yards. A lot of tracks put 2 chalk lines and the pole position car decides where in between those 2 lines to go.
3. AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE............ the 2nd place car has a responsibility to keep pace with the pole position car and to go when they go. You are assuming the start was called back because the pole car "jumped"
He has the right to go when he decides to. The start very well may have been called back becuase Bower didn't go when the pole car went, thus screwing everyone behind her on the ouside row.

if they didn't have that rule in there, anytime the 2nd place car got caught " sleeping" on the start, all they would have to do is just not go. Looking like the pole car jumped and only he gets put back.

Both front cars play a role in starting a race. Hopefully that helps explain it.

nowingsjeff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nowingsjeff » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Allen Reed wrote:There are a couple things that take place on a start.

3. AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE............ the 2nd place car has a responsibility to keep pace with the pole position car and to go when they go. You are assuming the start was called back because the pole car "jumped" He has the right to go when he decides to. The start very well may have been called back becuase Bower didn't go when the pole car went, thus screwing everyone behind her on the ouside row. .
The video above is very clear. The pole car takes off before the first line. How does Bower get penalized for that? The rest of the cars except for the guy that jumped were all running together. Only the pole car jumped, so my question again is how is this fair?

Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Allen Reed » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:28 pm

nowingsjeff wrote:
Allen Reed wrote:There are a couple things that take place on a start.

3. AND THIS IS THE BIG ONE............ the 2nd place car has a responsibility to keep pace with the pole position car and to go when they go. You are assuming the start was called back because the pole car "jumped" He has the right to go when he decides to. The start very well may have been called back becuase Bower didn't go when the pole car went, thus screwing everyone behind her on the ouside row. .
The video above is very clear. The pole car takes off before the first line. How does Bower get penalized for that? The rest of the cars except for the guy that jumped were all running together. Only the pole car jumped, so my question again is how is this fair?

....... The start very well "MAY " have been called back.....

I did not say definitively that was the reason, I would suggest if the reason is that important to you that you should call the office and ask them. NO one on this board is going to have the absolute reason why except the flagman.

Williams Grove Speedway.........717-697-5000

nowingsjeff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nowingsjeff » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Allen, I'm questioning the rule, not the flagman or official who made the call. How do they justify penalizing the innocent party? It's like guilt by association. Who had the brain fart that thought this rule up? Or is it a WoO monkey see monkey do deal? Anyway you want to paint it, Bower got screwed. It's a strange rule and nobody has really explained why it was instituted and what it is really designed for.