Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench
Posts: 1869
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:53 am
Location: Posse Soil

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by BigRightRear » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:59 pm

pell021 wrote:Happened a few years ago with Lance too if I remember correctly. He flew back from Knoxville to run Friday night at WG. It was Erdley's car, but they threw a 30C top wing on it so Lance and that team could get both the owner and driver points for the night.
And he wrecked it if I remember correctly.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

User avatar
bmd5229
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by bmd5229 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Why are we making a big deal about a freaking wing?? Ever think maybe the backup may have been in Knoxville with them?? Whats the big deal, not the first owner, nor will it be the last owner to do this.
"Believe deep down in your heart that you are destined to do great things." - JVP

User avatar
AppleCBD12
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Dover, PA

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by AppleCBD12 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:08 am

bmd5229 wrote:Why are we making a big deal about a freaking wing?? Ever think maybe the backup may have been in Knoxville with them?? Whats the big deal, not the first owner, nor will it be the last owner to do this.
Because it is cheating. If you want owner points then you should own the car, not just the wing on top of the car. But also having said that, if the Grove allows bs like that to take place, then shame on them and I do not blame Hefner for doing it. Like somebody else said, Mr. Hamilton used to put somebody in a back up car for the owner points. He did it the right and fair way.

User avatar
bmd5229
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by bmd5229 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:07 am

Well if you all want to get technical about it, Heffner is the President at Lelands, and Lelands sponsors Michaels car. Hence why when Curt needed a wing for the show a couple weeks ago, they took Hodnetts.
"Believe deep down in your heart that you are destined to do great things." - JVP

User avatar
BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: WG Backstretch

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 am

Who the hell cares? When have we ever gone into the last race of the season debating whos going to win the owners championship, and being on the edge of our seats all night :roll:

User avatar
dirtinmyeyes
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:43 pm
Location: millersville MD

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by dirtinmyeyes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:02 pm

this is the best post n along time

User avatar
wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Littlestown, PA

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by wentworth09w » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:05 pm

AppleCBD12 wrote:
bmd5229 wrote:Why are we making a big deal about a freaking wing?? Ever think maybe the backup may have been in Knoxville with them?? Whats the big deal, not the first owner, nor will it be the last owner to do this.
Because it is cheating. If you want owner points then you should own the car, not just the wing on top of the car. But also having said that, if the Grove allows bs like that to take place, then shame on them and I do not blame Hefner for doing it. Like somebody else said, Mr. Hamilton used to put somebody in a back up car for the owner points. He did it the right and fair way.
As previously stated... If the Grove is going to run against Knoxville then this is going to happen and rightfully so. You can't blame the big teams for racing in the biggest races. If you want to have a competitive field of cars who can run with the Outlaws any day then you need to allow them to run in the biggest race. It is a direct product of having a competitive group of drivers. If you want to race on Nationals weekend, make it a non-points race or something. Might be a good opportunity to run a Wingless show. (410's and Super Sportsman) I would definitely be there.

User avatar
BigNugs87
Racer
Racer
Posts: 3227
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 pm

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by BigNugs87 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:55 pm

bmd5229 wrote:Well if you all want to get technical about it, Heffner is the President at Lelands, and Lelands sponsors Michaels car. Hence why when Curt needed a wing for the show a couple weeks ago, they took Hodnetts.
Michael also uses a 410 owned by Heffner.
Beerhill, bottoms up!!!!

User avatar
BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: WG Backstretch

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:17 pm

wentworth09w wrote:
AppleCBD12 wrote:
bmd5229 wrote:Why are we making a big deal about a freaking wing?? Ever think maybe the backup may have been in Knoxville with them?? Whats the big deal, not the first owner, nor will it be the last owner to do this.
Because it is cheating. If you want owner points then you should own the car, not just the wing on top of the car. But also having said that, if the Grove allows bs like that to take place, then shame on them and I do not blame Hefner for doing it. Like somebody else said, Mr. Hamilton used to put somebody in a back up car for the owner points. He did it the right and fair way.
As previously stated... If the Grove is going to run against Knoxville then this is going to happen and rightfully so. You can't blame the big teams for racing in the biggest races. If you want to have a competitive field of cars who can run with the Outlaws any day then you need to allow them to run in the biggest race. It is a direct product of having a competitive group of drivers. If you want to race on Nationals weekend, make it a non-points race or something. Might be a good opportunity to run a Wingless show. (410's and Super Sportsman) I would definitely be there.
We have plenty of drivers that do just fine when the outlaws are in town that dont go to knoxville. If we make this a non points race, then do we do the same for the kings royal? The four crown? The ironman 55? Where does it stop? Our points system is just fine. Heres an idea: if the owners or drivers have a problem with it then they can all get together and lobby for a change. Once again all the keyboard owners/racers deciding whats best for sprint car racing :poking:

User avatar
wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Littlestown, PA

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by wentworth09w » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Not a keyboard owner/racer. Just a fan, one of the most important components of dirt track racing. I know for a fact that I am not nor will I ever be interested in driving a Sprint car, but I still enjoy going to the races. But I do know the divisions I have raced in (Asphalt) /plan to race in in the future (Dirt) it is very annoying when tracks schedule points races against other big races. How does it not make sense? Perhaps it makes it easier for Monteith or the others who stayed home to win the championship if the main competition is out of town racing with the best drivers in the world like they should be. What is the future of Knoxville going to be if anyone who races anywhere for points stays home? Then it is just a regular Outlaw race.... bad for sprint car racing. But what do I know, I'm just a lowly fan of Sprint Car racing... maybe I should just stay home and spend my money at the movies or something..

Thanks,
Jeff.

User avatar
BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: WG Backstretch

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:25 pm

First of all this has nothing to do with my driver staying home to try and win a championship. Hes already out of it! He willingly skipped a race this year, and quite franky hasnt performed as well as kreitz and hodnett.

And second i think with 100+ cars at knoxville, the future of racing there is just fine. How many guys really had a shot at making the A? 40? Maybe thats why only 3 of our regulars went. I bet if the grove didnt race at all last weekend, wed still only have 3 cars go.

Our local tracks do a great job of scheduling around one another, and im sure that is hard enough for them. As a racer whats more important? Chasing money or a points title :thinking:

Snappy-3
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:11 am

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by Snappy-3 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Allowing this happen is a huge BS deal and the Grove needs to stop it. The other Saturday night tracks don't pull this crap, and if they have started to, they need to stop. Totally not fair to all the other teams and especially the owners. It costs approximately $20,000 to make that trip and a solid week of vacation time. The teams that go, for the most part, are full time teams or have a "professional" driver. Nothing against those that go; but it's their CHOICE to go. They are running against the Grove (who does not penalize them either). What has happened in the past - the owner who was allowed to run a car with a different driver Knoxville week, has won the owner championship and a driver from a different team won the Driver Championship. That is stupidly insane. Nice way to screw things up.

BTW, since the Grove has reduced the Banquet to a cold pork sandwich handout and Walmart Christmas madness mess on the front stretch at the end of the fall Fest race completely diminishes the whole Championship thing anyway.

User avatar
Scott H
Crew Member
Crew Member
Posts: 1024
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Harford County, MD

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by Scott H » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:10 pm

from Lincoln Speedway 8-14-2010

Drivers received 100 show up points only for the night due to several Lincoln regulars competing at the Knoxville Nationals and Marks would have benefitted had the race been a points show. (Marks was chasing Montieth for the title)

I don't know who all went to Knoxville that year, but I think they stopped doing the show up points only races that year.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?

User avatar
g2aacc
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: NoYoCo
Contact:

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by g2aacc » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Points Racing=NASCRAP :whistle:
Second place is the First loser.....

User avatar
pushtruck
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: Why did 5G use Hodnett's #27 Wing?

Post by pushtruck » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:00 pm

This is an annual post every year. I remember Jeff Foote sitting in for Lance in the 88H. Also Dale Hammaker for Greg in the 22.
I forget who but the biggest stink was the other year when a Knoxville bound owner simply 'bought' a competing sprinter for the night!
Can you list other owner one night entries?

Pushtruck

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests