Kimmel Memorial

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie

Kimmel Memorial

Post by tripod16652 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:46 pm

What a joke, rain headed directly for the speedway and we take time out for fireworks??? Unbelievable, they knew the rain was coming, why not bag the stupid fireworks, instead of giving the guys in the last heat 5 minutes to get ready and get the feature on the track they waste 20 minutes having fireworks. We drove 2 hours, wasted $30.00 on worthless rain checks for nothing, the fireworks thing is getting real old, Friday night and again tonight, I'm done with that place.

kossuth
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by kossuth » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:10 pm

Drove an hour and a half from Frederick. While the fireworks did eat into the time some honestly it didn't matter in the end. The end result would have been the same. It's just that the rain out would have occurred on lap 18-20 of the feature vs right before the beginning. It is what it is. You have to give the teams 5-10 minutes to turn the cars around ie refuel and new tires if desired. It wouldn't have mattered.

Thanks for trying to get it in Williams Grove. The effort is definately appreciated here.

Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by Shuey21 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 pm

kossuth wrote:Drove an hour and a half from Frederick. While the fireworks did eat into the time some honestly it didn't matter in the end. The end result would have been the same. It's just that the rain out would have occurred on lap 18-20 of the feature vs right before the beginning. It is what it is. You have to give the teams 5-10 minutes to turn the cars around ie refuel and new tires if desired. It wouldn't have mattered.

Thanks for trying to get it in Williams Grove. The effort is definately appreciated here.
Yeah well lap 18-20 is an official race. Fireworks aren't necessary unless it 4th of July IMO
2015 Count: 50

2016: 20
Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tripod16652 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 pm

kossuth wrote:Drove an hour and a half from Frederick. While the fireworks did eat into the time some honestly it didn't matter in the end. The end result would have been the same. It's just that the rain out would have occurred on lap 18-20 of the feature vs right before the beginning. It is what it is. You have to give the teams 5-10 minutes to turn the cars around ie refuel and new tires if desired. It wouldn't have mattered.

"Trying to get it in", you have got to be joking, that was the most lame attempt of trying to get a race completeted that I have ever seen. There was a big push to move things along until the qualifiers were over and they didn't have to honor rain checks, then there's time to have fireworks??? Sorry dude I'm not buying what your trying to sell. On twitter they said it was kid's night and they enjoy fireworks, if that was so important why weren't the bike races? It's no wonder the stands are empty every week except for Outlaw shows, it's apparent to me that the people who go there expecting to actually see a race take a back seat.

bmd5229
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by bmd5229 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:35 am

Im sorry but from what I hear the kids night wasn't a huge success to begin with. Three drivers signing autographs?? No bouncy house, or dunk tank like advertised, which I heard for myself numerous times, not just word of mouth. I understand kids are our future spectators, but there has to be another way to get them involved other than fireworks. They like them and pay attention to them now but are busy playing during the races. I know its hard to keep a kid content during the races and I get it, but by the time they are adults or able to come on their own, they wont care about the fireworks and maybe wouldn't have seen enough racing to know if they actually want to come or not to see racing. I believe they will think the way most adults do, seen one firework session, seen them all. Im not bashing the groves decision because well, lets face it, every regular is used to it by now. I am sorry for the out of staters, or once in a whilers that had to experience it. Hopefully it will not turn you away from returning, and you will join us again. I think the only way to stop the fireworks are people ignore them, not everyone clap at the end of them and applaud them. Show them that we would rather see the 5 place driver get more than 750$ and less get put towards 20 firework shows a year. Just my .02 which I know nobody asked for but gave it anyway.
"Believe deep down in your heart that you are destined to do great things." - JVP

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Warthog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 am

Maybe the fireworks shows are a subtle attempt to give the neighbors some free entertainment, so that they won't complain about the track under other circumstances.
Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 am

It saddens me to see how bad things are at the Grove these days. They could've easily got that show in. They screwed around for a little over a half hour after the final heat. I'm sorry but the fireworks should've been bagged. They used the excuse that they felt the need to set them off because it was kids night. That's complete B.S. and they know it. If the kids were so **** important why the hell did they move the bike races, and where was the bounce house and dunk tank that they ADVERTISED? The fact is, they saw the rain coming and they did an excellent job of getting the heats done then after they had everyone's money, they were perrfectly content with letting mother nature take it over from there. I consider Lincoln to be the gold standard when it comes to running a show through with threatening weather and they NEVER would've pulled a stunt like that. There were a lot of angry people and you can just add them with the rest of the 100's of loyal fans who have been alienated by her less than stellar practices over the past several years. Look at the bleachers every week. Numbers never lie and the shrinking crowds tell the story. It's really shame that such a historical and storied facility is being treated this way. Jack Gunn has got to be rolling in his grave right now.
Last edited by CH_88 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Way she goes.............

Tig88
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Tig88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:51 am

Glad I didn't take the 5 mile drive to the Grove last evening. That's just $15 more for the strippers in Denver next week :jiggy:
I use to like Oreo Cookies and Chocolate milk.

1idirtking
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 1idirtking » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:43 am

Im really glad that at the last moment, I decided not to make the 95 mile drive. Iv'e been bitching about all the fireworks for years but I'm an old grouch who just doesn't care about the kids. :roll: I'd much rather see that waste of money go to the purse.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tripod16652 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 am

1idirtking wrote:Im really glad that at the last moment, I decided not to make the 95 mile drive. Iv'e been bitching about all the fireworks for years but I'm an old grouch who just doesn't care about the kids. :roll: I'd much rather see that waste of money go to the purse.
Right on the money.

Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Allen Reed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:05 pm

CH_88 wrote:It saddens me to see how bad things are at the Grove these days. They could've easily got that show in. They screwed around for a little over a half hour after the final heat. I'm sorry but the fireworks should've been bagged. They used the excuse that they felt the need to set them off because it was kids night. That's complete B.S. and they know it. If the kids were so **** important why the hell did they move the bike races, and where was the bounce house and dunk tank that they ADVERTISED? The fact is, they saw the rain coming and they did an excellent job of getting the heats done then after they had everyone's money, they were perrfectly content with letting mother nature take it over from there. I consider Lincoln to be the gold standard when it comes to running a show through with threatening weather and they NEVER would've pulled a stunt like that. There were a lot of angry people and you can just add them with the rest of the 100's of loyal fans who have been alienated by her less than stellar practices over the past several years. Look at the bleachers every week. Numbers never lie and the shrinking crowds tell the story. It's really shame that such a historical and storied facility is being treated this way. Jack Gunn has got to be rolling in his grave right now.

I'm gonna play devils advocate here and put the Pink Lady's hat on ..........
If I had to continually read all the complaining from the same few I would definitely make your wishes come True.....I would just sell the place.........

But before you start jumping for joy let me be a little more clear...... I would NOT be selling to Tony Sterwart, Kasey Kahne, ect.
I would contact the biggest housing / retail developer and make the deal. I would then make my one and only post on my OWN message board thanking the majority of the fans and to tell them to seek out the few complainers and THANK THEM personally for the sale. I'd take my money and head back to Philly and never have to hear another keyboard track owner tell me how to run " MY " facility.

Again, just playing devils advocate for some " food for thought "..............something to think about !!!
Who would come to the table with the better offer, Stewart, Kahne, some other promoter or that Developer ?????

Wouldn't be better to just complain to your buddies instead of this board , or is it that your friends are tired of hearing the few of you complaining about everything the track does ?

Think about that scenario for awhile.....

Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by Shuey21 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Another thing with someone said they tried their best I doubt it. Selinsgrove had 41 Super Lates, 24 limited's so 4 heats and 2 B Mains for Supers and a 50 Lap A Main. Limiteds 3 heats and a 20 lap feature done by 9:30! They knew their was a chance and hurried it along.
2015 Count: 50

2016: 20
Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by cjettmail » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:58 pm

1idirtking is right, Take the money from fireworks put it in the purse. They could use more money, I would even pay an extra $1 or 2 to get in if I knew she would put it in the purse !!!!
It's a shame the Grove has went down hill, She don't know what she has !! She has things you can't buy, History, tradition & a name know all over the world.

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:40 pm

You could sell it to a developer or you could continually chase away fans and teams and the end result is the same. I'll take my chances complaining publicly. As far as my friends, they all feel the same way so no problems there. You can play devils advocate but look at the stands and the pits every week because that tells the story far better than I can. Its not like people are complaining about a non issue. This is going on right before us and everyone can see it. Its a shame.

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 pm

cjettmail wrote:1idirtking is right, Take the money from fireworks put it in the purse. They could use more money, I would even pay an extra $1 or 2 to get in if I knew she would put it in the purse !!!!
It's a shame the Grove has went down hill, She don't know what she has !! She has things you can't buy, History, tradition & a name know all over the world.
THIS^^^^^