Kimmel Memorial

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
Allen Reed
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Kimmel Memorial

Post by Allen Reed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 pm

CH_88 wrote:You could sell it to a developer or you could continually chase away fans and teams and the end result is the same. I'll take my chances complaining publicly. As far as my friends, they all feel the same way so no problems there. You can play devils advocate but look at the stands and the pits every week because that tells the story far better than I can. Its not like people are complaining about a non issue. This is going on right before us and everyone can see it. Its a shame.
My point exactly. ......if the end result is the same, the highest bidder it is. What do you think a developer would pay for that land knowing he can put up 300 new homes and a small strip plaza. I would guess he would pay 3-4 times the amount than a racing enthusiasts

NEWBOMB TURK
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by NEWBOMB TURK » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:22 pm

With the economy the way it is most people don't have the resources to go for a ride to the grove to turn around and go home. Therefore your going to get bad crowds on nights like this. I'm really surprised she tried. Big Diamond cancelled early, and Selinsgrove would have if not for the Outlaws being in town. With football season now going on look for some pretty slim crowds. Attendance is down at all tracks. Not just the grove. With car counts being down and parade racing being the norm, people are looking for a better bang for the buck, especially on nights like this. The promoters have cell phones with radar. I'm sure they new a storm was coming. Probably not a good idea for fireworks to get wet. Everything was paid for,set up and ready to set off. They can run the features at a later date and probably get a better crowd because of the extra racing. Running a race track is a business and if you plan on going under threatening skies you shouldn't be too surprised with the events of Sunday night.
This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

VikesN410s
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VikesN410s » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Imagine being part of a Super Sportsman team who now has to pay $50 pit admission to get a complete show..can't even give them the decency to give them a full show along with the make up..Pinky sure knew how to get in the positive for Friday with no 410s..

Bill Mc
Legend
Legend

Post by Bill Mc » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 pm

I love you fans who want to pay more $ to watch the races every week. Hate to break it to all if you that say this but raising admission would hurt more then it helps. Families don't have the $ to get in now, you start charging more and you'll see less fans in the stands. How would that help?

You guys really want to help the race teams out? Figure out a way to give the $ directly to the drivers. If you & 10 of your buddies donate $10 each once a month you could walk down to any race team after the races and hand it to them. That is a way better plan then trying to charge more $ to families who struggle to get to the track as it is.
Central PA 358 Racing Series - http://www.centralparacing.com
Central PA Racing Scene - http://www.centralparacingscene.com
2015 race count

Williams Grove-2
Lincoln- 7
Trail Way -2
Port - 1
Action Track -
Susquehanna -

12 races in 2016
43 races in 2015
43 races in 2014
40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Warthog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Bill Mc wrote:I love you fans who want to pay more $ to watch the races every week. Hate to break it to all if you that say this but raising admission would hurt more then it helps. Families don't have the $ to get in now, you start charging more and you'll see less fans in the stands. How would that help?

You guys really want to help the race teams out? Figure out a way to give the $ directly to the drivers. If you & 10 of your buddies donate $10 each once a month you could walk down to any race team after the races and hand it to them. That is a way better plan then trying to charge more $ to families who struggle to get to the track as it is.
Mike Bittinger had a good idea a couple years back when he had micro-sponsorships available to help him keep going. I bought one for myself, and went in with a buddy on another. The Beer Hill Gang sponsorship has been another example of fan involvement in funding racers. I know that racers really prefer to focus on racing, but with a little creativity, there are lots of ways to connect those who have a little bit extra with those who need a little bit extra - whether in racing or in lots of other aspects of the communities we all live in.

We're all in this together - the fans don't have anything without the racers, and vice versa.
Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 am

I am no fan of the World of Fireworks shows...BUT...if the downpour had hit 1 minute later when the cars were already at full speed, it would have been a total disaster...not to mention the difficulty of getting the safety crew onto a muddy track if someone had gotten hurt.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

zepplinrox
Legend
Legend

Post by zepplinrox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:48 pm

:signs:138:

"zepplinrox"- Brian

Susquehanna Speedway pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

AlbertW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AlbertW » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Any track, when rain is in the vicinity should quit the breaks, and get the racing going. Race fans are there for the racing, not the fluff that really does not interest them. When the fluff interferes with the racing, you will get unhappy race fans. Drivers will understand if breaks in the action are short so that the show can get in when weather conditions are such. And the fans sitting in the stands want to see the racing and not be looking at their smart phones at the radar wondering if the track will get the show moving.

luvracing
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by luvracing » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 pm

AlbertW wrote:Any track, when rain is in the vicinity should quit the breaks, and get the racing going. Race fans are there for the racing, not the fluff that really does not interest them. When the fluff interferes with the racing, you will get unhappy race fans. Drivers will understand if breaks in the action are short so that the show can get in when weather conditions are such. And the fans sitting in the stands want to see the racing and not be looking at their smart phones at the radar wondering if the track will get the show moving.

Agree. There was plenty of wasted time that could have moved the show along. We already had fireworks on Friday night could that not have been sufficient for the weekend!

bigbrad115
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bigbrad115 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I made the decision to go to Selinsgrove for the WoO Late models. If you wanted to see an extremely well run show, this one was it! They started 15 minutes early(6:45 pm), ran warmups for both divisions(40 Super Lates and 24 Limited), time trials for the supers, four heats and two consi's for the supers, three heats for the limited cars, a 50 lap feature for the supers and a 20 lapper for the limited lates. When all of the racing was complete, I was on my way down Rt. 35 at 9:30 pm! They ran the heats for all divisions with no lag time in between. When one heat was finished, the cars for the next one were pre-staged and were rolling onto the track before the last car in the previous heat went into the pits. There where very few cautions periods, and the only break they took was a short, maybe 10 to 15 minute intermission.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

zepplinrox wrote::signs:138:

It's Williams Grove! :cwm4:
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:35 pm

AlbertW wrote:Any track, when rain is in the vicinity should quit the breaks, and get the racing going. Race fans are there for the racing, not the fluff that really does not interest them. When the fluff interferes with the racing, you will get unhappy race fans. Drivers will understand if breaks in the action are short so that the show can get in when weather conditions are such. And the fans sitting in the stands want to see the racing and not be looking at their smart phones at the radar wondering if the track will get the show moving.
When fireworks take precedent over the racing, something needs to be said...and changed! Twice in 1 weekend? That's ridiculous. Even the biggest firework enthusiasts must be getting a little tired of them by now, no?
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tripod16652 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm

hotrodney wrote:
When fireworks take precedent over the racing, something needs to be said...and changed! Twice in 1 weekend? That's ridiculous. Even the biggest firework enthusiasts must be getting a little tired of them by now, no?
I couldn't agree more, I would hate to think that Pinky saw the ever shrinking "crowd" and intentionally ran out the clock until it rained so they could pocket our money and force us to pay again to see the features that we already paid once to see.

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:59 am

hotrodney wrote:
You guys are both right on the money. The problem with what's going on is that Williams Grove is chasing away its loyal customers and loyalty is very important in any business, especially racing. Anyone who has been going there for longer than a couple of years can see the ever growing number of empty seats. Of course there are economic reasons for that but a lot of it is just people being chased away. The die hard race fans are the ones who are there no matter what and they're the foundation from which everything else is built upon. They're the ones who are there in early march freezing their a$$es off and they expose countless people to our sport and at least in my case, every new person I've taken has become a fan and has since returned. They don't return because they saw fireworks, they return because they just saw the most exciting racecars on the face of the earth putting on a show and they want to see it again. Without those people, all you have are the casual fans who don't attend regularly and in my opinion, a racetrack just can't survive that way. How many times have we seen someone say on this message board or elsewhere that they used to go every week and had reserved seats and/or season tickets but now they don't go at all? I'm not quite to that point yet because quite frankly, I love sprint car racing and I love Williams Grove Speedway that much that I'm not ready to part with it yet. Some would say I should quit going (and they're probably right) and its getting to that point but I'm not one to make empty threats. I don't know how much longer I'll feel that way because I'm really getting fed up and I'm starting to think of some other things that I'd like to be doing on Friday nights that are far less aggravating and helluva lot cheaper. I'm sure they probably don't care about whether I go or not but I'll say this, if I don't go, there's going to be quite few people that go with me on a regular and semi regular basis who won't be there either. The point is, there's a bunch of other people who have already given it up and if things continue this way, there will be more including myself. My dad has been going there for 25 or 30 years and after Sunday, he's done with the place. Its a sad situation all around. It reminds me a lot of Port Royal in the mid 2000's through 2011 before Steve O'Neal and company stepped in and saved the day. Through a lot of hard work and dedication, they have turned Port Royal into a great place to spend a Saturday night and it shows because the crowds are great and there's a lot of excitement surrounding Port Royal these days. I just hope we see that type of thing happen at Williams Grove before its too late.
Way she goes.............

XracerX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XracerX » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I'll join the ******-fest here.

My complaint is that 25 -410 sprints are in the pits on the Billy Kimmel Memorial and Kids Night, and how many put their car in the infield for the fans to get a rare opportunity to see one up close and interact with the fans. I understand some had to work on their cars from the night before. Certainly half of them could have pushed around to the infield. Talk about missing an opportunity to make new fans, gain exposure for yourself and your sponsors. I just don't get it.

The Saturday Night Series makes these guys look like pre-Madonna's, too good to spend an hour with the fans. How many of these young fans will be fans for life because one day before the races they got to sit in a race car? Or the not so young fans got to peek inside the cockpit or feel the softness of the tires and get a real better appreciation for what they are watching.

Thanks for Williams Grove for doing it, hopefully the races team see the opportunities they passing up.
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence for ourselves to be sure.