Three Day National Open Weekend!

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Re: Three Day National Open Weekend!

Post by Brent Leach » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 am

Many of you same people that are complaining now are were probably at the WoO races at Lincoln last year before the WoO weekends at the Grove. Wouldn't that also add up to three tickets for three days. Why does everyone have to complain all the time?? :thinking:
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

DIRT-MAN
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by DIRT-MAN » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 am

Its very simple DON'T GO saves more room for the rest of us.

luvracing
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by luvracing » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:24 am

I agree "Don't go Thursday" if you don't want to. :chatterbox:

deweasefan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by deweasefan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Many people keep bringing up that they hope a 3 day package is offered similar to Charlotte. But when you compare them, even without a package deal at the grove, the National Open is still a better deal. It costs $89 for a 3 day ticket to Charlotte but Thursday is just time trials and some modified heats. General admission for all 3 days at the grove would be $95, just an extra $6, but you get 3 full racing programs.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm

deweasefan wrote:Many people keep bringing up that they hope a 3 day package is offered similar to Charlotte. But when you compare them, even without a package deal at the grove, the National Open is still a better deal. It costs $89 for a 3 day ticket to Charlotte but Thursday is just time trials and some modified heats. General admission for all 3 days at the grove would be $95, just an extra $6, but you get 3 full racing programs.
Missing 1 small detail...They have 3 divisions at Charlotte. I guess if you don't enjoy LM's or modifieds, then the Grove is a better deal.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

SLINKMASTERC
Racer
Racer

Post by SLINKMASTERC » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:13 pm

deweasefan wrote:Many people keep bringing up that they hope a 3 day package is offered similar to Charlotte. But when you compare them, even without a package deal at the grove, the National Open is still a better deal. It costs $89 for a 3 day ticket to Charlotte but Thursday is just time trials and some modified heats. General admission for all 3 days at the grove would be $95, just an extra $6, but you get 3 full racing programs.
:thinking: It's only 69.00 if you buy tickets for Charlotte before a certain date. Don't matter to me really as I will be there anyways. Have not missed a Natty O since 93 dont plan on missing one till Im in a Urn.
Racecar spelled backwards spells Racecar

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:51 am

It hasn't been $69 for a couple years.
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

Highside
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Highside » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43 am

renewed my tickets for the world finalsat the world finals this year...came out to about $87 a piece...i did get a free flashlight for renewing, that was cool...i dont like the idea of a split program but i will be there regardless

racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Post by racer33 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:40 pm

So we have three full days of racing.....big deal. Why not do like other venues and make Thursday a qualifying day with separate sessions for each day and add in something like two special races for the top 20 qualifiers from each day and give 4 from each day guaranteed starts in the Friday and Saturday shows. Something to spice the program up a little and put the big bucks you were going to pay on Thursday ($10 grand) into the national open purse because for a huge race it really doesn't pay squat unless you finish in the top eight. Some people spend a lot of money to tow in for this race from a very long distance for this show and finish 15th through 24th or 26th or 28th depending on the provisionals and hardly get enough to cover their expenses. Ask anyone who knows and they will tell you that every time you go on the track at Knoxville you get paid. These racers come in and put on the show and unless you are a full fledged outlaw team you have to pay for your driver, crew, fuel, lodging, etc. At least when you pay an entry fee at the Knoxville you know you are getting something back. Time to help the racers out, they need a break too. I think the idea of a three day ticket is a smart move and would bring in more fans. We bought our tickets in advance for Charlotte 2 years ago and paid $70 for all 3 days and got pit passes and grandstand seats (which we didn't use) but that was a great deal. Yes, they had a huge back gate to help with expenses but they had 3 full purses to pay. Time to come into the 21st century!

JTR13
Pit Member
Pit Member
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45

Post by JTR13 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:52 am

Comparing a race at the Grove compared to The Dirt Track at Charlotte is like comparing my kids baseball game on a local York County ballfield to Williamsport, PA... Both games are sanctioned and governed by the Little League, but they are apples and oranges, just like you can't compare a race at the Grove to a race at Charlotte...

I understand that the National Open is a little bit bigger of a deal then a normal weekly race, even a normal race sanctioned by the WOO, but it is still not the World Finals, so no, you're not going to get the same deal...
All "FOUR" Fun!!!

racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Post by racer33 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:26 am

Sorry, but you are incorrect.....the Groves National open is much bigger than the Charlotte race and commands much more respect and attention than Charlotte does. You can call that race the "World Finals" but it is nothing more than a three day show with all three divisions racing. Watch the fans there and as soon as their favorite division heat races end they get up and leave and they come back when their division comes back. The only time they stay seated is for the features and even then a lot of the fans leave after their favorite division is over. Charlotte is just the final race of the season and the champs get crowned there. The payoff is nothing special. As weak as the Groves payoff is back in the field it is still better than Charlotte. You can have a race at Susky the following week and call it the "Super Duper World Finals" but that doesn't make it so. The Grove's National Open is imbedded in the history of sprint car racing and it is the reason that it is one of the "Crown Jewels" of sprint racing. Charlotte has a long way to go to reach the status of the WILLIAMS GROVE NATIONAL OPEN. You need to delve into the history of Williams Grove and you will soon realize why the national open commands the respect that it does.

trecraft
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecraft » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 am

That third night just might be at the " Silverado Motel ".
Last edited by trecraft on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

trecraft
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecraft » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:31 am

That third night just might be at the " Silverado Motel ". :dontknow: Ok. It will be.

JTR13
Pit Member
Pit Member
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45

Post by JTR13 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 am

racer33 wrote:Sorry, but you are incorrect.....the Groves National open is much bigger than the Charlotte race and commands much more respect and attention than Charlotte does. You can call that race the "World Finals" but it is nothing more than a three day show with all three divisions racing. Watch the fans there and as soon as their favorite division heat races end they get up and leave and they come back when their division comes back. The only time they stay seated is for the features and even then a lot of the fans leave after their favorite division is over. Charlotte is just the final race of the season and the champs get crowned there. The payoff is nothing special. As weak as the Groves payoff is back in the field it is still better than Charlotte. You can have a race at Susky the following week and call it the "Super Duper World Finals" but that doesn't make it so. The Grove's National Open is imbedded in the history of sprint car racing and it is the reason that it is one of the "Crown Jewels" of sprint racing. Charlotte has a long way to go to reach the status of the WILLIAMS GROVE NATIONAL OPEN. You need to delve into the history of Williams Grove and you will soon realize why the national open commands the respect that it does.

Ok, maybe you either took my comparing the National Open to the World Finals either the wrong way or a little to personal there... Yes, the National open has a much larger history when it comes to both the WOO and Sprint Car racing in general, there's no debating that... But this has absolutely nothing to do with the history of either race and has everything to do with the business of racing and running/hosting an event... The point in my comparison between the field my son plays on every week to Williamsport is you are trying to compare an event that is held at a track owned by some woman who inherited from her father or otherwise wouldn't have anything to do with racing period to an event that is held a track that is owned by a multi-million if not multi-billion dollar corporation that owns 8 of the largest speedways in the world... Again, apples and oranges... But just like the purpose of this board, this is just my opinion, which also includes the opinion of I'll just be happy with what I am getting, an extra day of racing, and not complain about what I am not getting...

And I am also in no way disagreeing with everyone who is saying that some kind of package deal would be awesome, as well as probably an excellent business decision on both the Grove and the Outlaws part... But that in no way puts top dollar in her pocket so it just isn't going to happen...
All "FOUR" Fun!!!

cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by cjettmail » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:19 pm

The Grove Open is the 2nd biggest race in the World for sprint cars after Knoxville. Charlotte is just another outlaw race, With Mod's & late models .