Three Day National Open Weekend!

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
beefmobile29
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Three Day National Open Weekend!

Post by beefmobile29 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Its really sad about how this track has been run in the past couple years...now their going to run a three day show that doesn't pay...the biggest problem in PA is they don't pay...you asked or do your own research.that's why the national open doesn't get any surprise drivers any more.a guy driving an number 21 from the Midwest told me last year you will never see him in PA ..making both shows an even in the dash both nights he didn't make any more.you look for yourself the payout for the Saturday night 50,000 to win.it sinks like the Titanic.compair it to the kings royal or the Knoxville nationals..the national open is far from the second best rest in the states.maybe history but history doesn't pay..a three day show to me is a money maker for only one person.opps two sorry that's the owner an hot dog salesman.the track will be junk for the final night

JTR13
Pit Member
Pit Member
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45

Post by JTR13 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:10 am

cjettmail wrote:The Grove Open is the 2nd biggest race in the World for sprint cars after Knoxville. Charlotte is just another outlaw race, With Mod's & late models .
Again, wasn't comparing the race or the history of the race, I was comparing the venues... However I don't agree with the fact that Charlotte is "just another outlaw race"...

And unfortunetly I have to agree with beefmobile, the Open as become the farthest thing from the 2nd biggest race in the World... If that were true we would be getting a lot more travelers like there was at one time and like some events still continue to get...
All "FOUR" Fun!!!

racerx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by racerx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Just another way to suck more money from you. I missed my first national open in 25 years last year,not sure if i,ll go back!

sprintcars-4-life
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sprintcars-4-life » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:17 pm

I think it's nice to see tracks still able to make money in today's environment, shouldn't that be applauded? :laughing7: :whistle: :twisted:
YCP student and die hard Sprint car fan. I like Rahmer, DD, and Budweiser

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 am

an extra day of preliminary drinking for the hardcore element might prove to be a calming effect for the final night
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

NEWBOMB TURK
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by NEWBOMB TURK » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:01 am

beefmobile29 wrote:Its really sad about how this track has been run in the past couple years...now their going to run a three day show that doesn't pay...the biggest problem in PA is they don't pay...you asked or do your own research.that's why the national open doesn't get any surprise drivers any more.a guy driving an number 21 from the Midwest told me last year you will never see him in PA ..making both shows an even in the dash both nights he didn't make any more.you look for yourself the payout for the Saturday night 50,000 to win.it sinks like the Titanic.compair it to the kings royal or the Knoxville nationals..the national open is far from the second best rest in the states.maybe history but history doesn't pay..a three day show to me is a money maker for only one person.opps two sorry that's the owner an hot dog salesman.the track will be junk for the final night
More money and another night isn't going to change anything except the balance of your bank account and the balance of the Groves. The 21 from the Midwest needs to stay in the Midwest. He was a back marker. Time trial shows with the winner more than likely coming off the first or second row. Lots of drunks, that have no idea why or how they got there. Might get a free high just walking through the parking lot. Just like work. Same **** different day.
This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:17 am

beefmobile29 wrote:Its really sad about how this track has been run in the past couple years...now their going to run a three day show that doesn't pay...the biggest problem in PA is they don't pay...you asked or do your own research.that's why the national open doesn't get any surprise drivers any more.a guy driving an number 21 from the Midwest told me last year you will never see him in PA ..making both shows an even in the dash both nights he didn't make any more.you look for yourself the payout for the Saturday night 50,000 to win.it sinks like the Titanic.compair it to the kings royal or the Knoxville nationals..the national open is far from the second best rest in the states.maybe history but history doesn't pay..a three day show to me is a money maker for only one person.opps two sorry that's the owner an hot dog salesman.the track will be junk for the final night
Nothing comes even remotely close to the payout of the Knoxville Nationals; not the Grove Open or Kings Royal which I think are about the same total purse. The Royal or the Grove Open would be the second biggest race, 1 or the other, unless I'm forgetting something. The Gold Cup doesn't pay squat anymore. Like any race other than the nationals, you need to finish near the front of the A-main to make any money. Brown didn't finish well either night he was here hence he didn't make much. You gotta do more than just show up. He's out in AZ right now racing for much less than what the National Open pays. Pretty sure he went out to CA on 1 of the WOO swings last year to race for regular WOO payouts. I'll bet he goes to FL too to race for even less money....excuses.

I think we'd all love to see the natty pay more back through the field, and every other sprint car race for that matter, but in the real world the track needs to make some money to survive.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Warthog » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:40 am

hotrodney wrote: I think we'd all love to see the natty pay more back through the field, and every other sprint car race for that matter, but in the real world the track needs to make some money to survive.
These sorts of situations can work one of two ways:
1) less excitement, drawing fewer fans, giving sponsors less reason to advertise, thus less money to pay out, which leads to fewer cars, less excitement...
2) More excitement and attention, drawing more fans, creating more reason for advertisers/sponsors to commit money, thus more to pay out, drawing more cars, generating more excitement...

As a promoter, if you wish to pursue option 2, you have a choice - either risk a good bit of money yourself to build the excitement and potentially see the payout long-term (getting a rep like Knoxville, and drawing the cars, fans and sponsorships to pay for it), or you work your butt off to build the excitement and convince the sponsors to take the chance on getting a long-term return on their dollars, and convince the teams that your race is one that they have to be at.

Or you create a gimmick, such as a million-dollar payout if one driver wins all nights (with the million covered by an insurance policy - you have to pay the premium, but as a promoter, that fixes your costs up front). The latter generates attention, but still might not draw enough funds to pay well back through the pack.
Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:05 pm

Warthog wrote:
hotrodney wrote: I think we'd all love to see the natty pay more back through the field, and every other sprint car race for that matter, but in the real world the track needs to make some money to survive.
These sorts of situations can work one of two ways:
1) less excitement, drawing fewer fans, giving sponsors less reason to advertise, thus less money to pay out, which leads to fewer cars, less excitement...
2) More excitement and attention, drawing more fans, creating more reason for advertisers/sponsors to commit money, thus more to pay out, drawing more cars, generating more excitement...

As a promoter, if you wish to pursue option 2, you have a choice - either risk a good bit of money yourself to build the excitement and potentially see the payout long-term (getting a rep like Knoxville, and drawing the cars, fans and sponsorships to pay for it), or you work your butt off to build the excitement and convince the sponsors to take the chance on getting a long-term return on their dollars, and convince the teams that your race is one that they have to be at.

Or you create a gimmick, such as a million-dollar payout if one driver wins all nights (with the million covered by an insurance policy - you have to pay the premium, but as a promoter, that fixes your costs up front). The latter generates attention, but still might not draw enough funds to pay well back through the pack.
I think for the national Open, an extra night is gonna draw more excitement for sure; more fans and cars I don't know. Mid-50's car counts like they've been getting is pretty darn good. Thursday night is always a little iffy as far as fans

Tweedlee
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Tweedlee » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:53 pm

3 days at the paper clip? 2 too many.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Tweedlee wrote:3 days at the paper clip? 2 too many.
You wouldn't attend any anyhow! LOL

Tweedlee
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Tweedlee » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 pm

hotrodney wrote:
You are correct. I wouldn't attend one.

Hopefully Tony Stewart can get the edge on the World of Outlaws so that we can see a top series at other tracks instead of 3 stinking days at the clip.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Tweedlee wrote:
hotrodney wrote:
You are correct. I wouldn't attend one.

Hopefully Tony Stewart can get the edge on the World of Outlaws so that we can see a top series at other tracks instead of 3 stinking days at the clip.
The outlaws now race at Lincoln twice and Port once so that is good. The Port race last Oct. was good 1!

longtimefan
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by longtimefan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Tweedlee, did you get the painting done you were talking to the guy about last fall? I am seldom seen in a bar but if he does that painting I might have to come to see it.

Tweedlee
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by Tweedlee » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:06 am

longtimefan wrote:Tweedlee, did you get the painting done you were talking to the guy about last fall? I am seldom seen in a bar but if he does that painting I might have to come to see it.
He came back one day when I was not there. I heard he was very good. Do you know how to get ahold of him?