Water Trucks versus Track Condition

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Water Trucks versus Track Condition

Post by racer33 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 pm

Every time I see those heavy water trucks on the track I know that we are going asphalt again. They make a nice smooth race track, the only problem is they are out there making asphalt. Packed down and hard as a rock but it has one advantage.....it gets slick as hell in no time if that's what you are looking for. And you can feel sure that before the feature they will go up top and put what little cushion there is right up against the fence and they really believe they have made someplace new for the drivers to race and in five laps it's gone. That was a great parade on Friday night, the usual follow the leader. Had it not been for Montieth there would have been no excitement. They should be paying him entertainment money just to be there. Had it not been for lapped traffic there would have been no passing up front. It's just wonderful that we have another season of a crappy racetrack to look forward to. One race in and I'm already disgusted, but never fear, we have the fireworks to look forward to for entertainment since the racing sucks. Hard to believe that Williams Grove Speedway, one of the premiere racetracks in the country, can put on such lousy shows over and over and it does not seem to bother anyone in charge. Sucks, really sucks!!

JTR13
Pit Member
Pit Member
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45

Re: Water Trucks versus Track Condition

Post by JTR13 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 am

You hate the place so much, yet you still go, hmmmmmm...
All "FOUR" Fun!!!

MehalickMotorsports14
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by MehalickMotorsports14 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:54 am

racer33 wrote:Every time I see those heavy water trucks on the track I know that we are going asphalt again. They make a nice smooth race track, the only problem is they are out there making asphalt. Packed down and hard as a rock but it has one advantage.....it gets slick as hell in no time if that's what you are looking for. And you can feel sure that before the feature they will go up top and put what little cushion there is right up against the fence and they really believe they have made someplace new for the drivers to race and in five laps it's gone. That was a great parade on Friday night, the usual follow the leader. Had it not been for Montieth there would have been no excitement. They should be paying him entertainment money just to be there. Had it not been for lapped traffic there would have been no passing up front. It's just wonderful that we have another season of a crappy racetrack to look forward to. One race in and I'm already disgusted, but never fear, we have the fireworks to look forward to for entertainment since the racing sucks. Hard to believe that Williams Grove Speedway, one of the premiere racetracks in the country, can put on such lousy shows over and over and it does not seem to bother anyone in charge. Sucks, really sucks!!

The water trucks aren't the problem. It's the material they have on the track. REAL clay absorbs and holds moisture. Most race tracks don't have REAL clay.

racer33
Rookie
Rookie

Post by racer33 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:55 am

I don't hate the place, I love the place and that is why posted this. I've been going there since 1949. I have served on four 410 crews, 2 USAC crews and various other racers in my 71 years so I'm no rookie at this. You on the other hand are just someone who likes to make anal comments about the posts that everone else makes. Post something that someone cares about.

bmd5229
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by bmd5229 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:39 pm

You're also forgetting there was no handicapping, so if it happens someone fast is on the front row or second row, then it's going to be the same thing. I Was hoping it would slick off and make it a drivers track. That seems to be the racing people prefer now, is dry slick, making the drivers do the work not the cars
"Believe deep down in your heart that you are destined to do great things." - JVP

DIRT-MAN
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by DIRT-MAN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:29 am

Sure was better then watching it snow ;)

PA Oiler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PA Oiler » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 am

How about the heats? They might as well run 5 lap heats. After the fifth lap there is not one change of position. The Outlaws run 8 laps and that is too many.

Esh Fan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Esh Fan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 pm

I agree with the OP 100%. I've actually gotten tired of saying it. And I have gone long periods of boycotting what I think is insulting to my intelligence racing. I have lots of friends that go and I like to have some beers as much as the next guy. But at some point I can't take it anymore and refuse to be a party to it.

Well at least there are other options. Go on Sat night, to a different track where the racing is almost always good. Again, I do agree with you and I have posted similar comments in the recent past.
I feel the same way about tonight. If it's a go and they run, should I even bother going over given the strong likelihood it will be another sealed over track?

I know that it's only $14 and I would like very much to see the car I help sponsor run, but can bet it will be a repeat of last week. A parade. It's a shame, it really is. I have always been entertained at either Lincoln, Port or Selinsgrove. Hell, even Susque. Williams Grove is 50/50, at best. It's a crap shoot.

dirtinmyeyes
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dirtinmyeyes » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:52 pm

its sure a lot better than no race track

Buildy
Legend
Legend

Post by Buildy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Montieth went from 17th to 3rd and was contending for the win,so don`t tell me it can`t be done.

PA Oiler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PA Oiler » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:21 pm

I am not taking one thing away from Montieth but he had absolutely no traffic to deal with. He was the only car on the tpo. Marks ran up there for a bit. One other thing, Montieth can run the top like no one else.

The racing was horrible. It was locked to the bottom except for Montieth.

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm

PA Oiler wrote:I am not taking one thing away from Montieth but he had absolutely no traffic to deal with. He was the only car on the tpo. Marks ran up there for a bit. One other thing, Montieth can run the top like no one else.

The racing was horrible. It was locked to the bottom except for Montieth.
Horrible? Whether or not the track sucked, that was anything but a horrible race. Montieth had no traffic to contend with because he went where few others dared to go. That's why slick and wide tracks are the ones that produce the best racing. You won't see any track records but what you will see, is the best drivers coming forward and those who only know how to floor it and hang on, go backwards. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath. It was only the first week of a very long season and all the tracks are battling bad weather. Believe it or not, mother nature is the biggest factor in how a track surface turns out. Sun, wind, humidity, and precipitation throughout the week all have a huge affect on how a racing surface turns out and the weather has been about as uncooperative as it could be since late winter. Give them a break.
Last edited by CH_88 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Way she goes.............

zepplinrox
Legend
Legend

Post by zepplinrox » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:56 pm

I don't know how much bigger the track is for Montieth but he sure seems to give it his best!
"zepplinrox"- Brian

Susquehanna Speedway pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

WINGMAN
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by WINGMAN » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:30 pm

I heard this every season.

Come on man.......
1. If you want to pass someone, means NOT running the same line. You have to "find" a better line.

2. Nobody is tell who to drive the top or the bottom. And track conditions never factor in on it.

3. I know a couple guys who started 15th or 14th for being the POINTS LEADER............... EVERYWEEK....and would win on a much smaller, smoother, and tighter track than the Grove. YOU HAD TO DRIVE AT SILVER SPRINGS!!

As far as dry slick and hard.......it obvious you've never watched the man in the 69K. Especially at SUSKY. He's a master at it. It might have to do with that young man name BROWN setting it up too.

Just my 2 cents.......
http://luckyshotphotography.net
WRT-Speedwerx-Wingert

Sprintcars100
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Sprintcars100 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 pm

Dry and slick is ok if there's some grip up top, the key to that race was they wet the top down, just like lincoln last week the racing was bad untill they wet the top down. Had they not done that it would've been freight train around the bottom and if you slide up into the dust your going to the rear.
2015 races:
5 Lincoln
2 Hagerstown
5 Williamsgrove
11 Port Royal
14 Path Valley
1 Selinsgrove
1 Susky
1 New Eygpt
1 Kutztown Action Track USA
1 Uttica Rome
1 Kokomo In.