Water Trucks versus Track Condition

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Water Trucks versus Track Condition

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:40 pm

I think CH_88 nailed it. It was the first week give them a break. Everyone expects a perfect track every week no matter what the weather :roll:

Ive seen plenty of races at other tracks that were terrible because of track conditions. The usac race at port a couple years ago comes to mind. Its a fine line between dry and slick with no top where everyone is on the bottom, and a heavy track where everyone flat foots around on the curb. Ive said it over and over the best track doesnt matter if it is heavy or slick...the best track needs to have multiple lanes where the drivers can move around and pass. IMO that is a wide, slick track with a nice curb around the top. With all the factors involved you just arent going to get that every week.

Be glad we have the tracks and racers we do to go watch every week.

BStrawser26
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by BStrawser26 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:16 am

BlueOnBlack21 wrote: Ive seen plenty of races at other tracks that were terrible because of track conditions. The usac race at port a couple years ago comes to mind.

:silenced:
Hillary for Prison 2016
National Debt
January 21,2009 10.6 Trillion
August 25, 2016 19.5 Trillion
Almost doubled under this worthless administration.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:40 pm

BlueOnBlack21 wrote:I think CH_88 nailed it. It was the first week give them a break. Everyone expects a perfect track every week no matter what the weather :roll:

Ive seen plenty of races at other tracks that were terrible because of track conditions. The usac race at port a couple years ago comes to mind. Its a fine line between dry and slick with no top where everyone is on the bottom, and a heavy track where everyone flat foots around on the curb. Ive said it over and over the best track doesnt matter if it is heavy or slick...the best track needs to have multiple lanes where the drivers can move around and pass. IMO that is a wide, slick track with a nice curb around the top. With all the factors involved you just arent going to get that every week.

I think you nailed it better than I did lol. You're exactly right. Too many people expect perfection every week. They expect to see the winner start 12th every week although they don't want to see the same guy win too often. They want to see a wide track, but it better be fast and have just the right sized cushion and dammit, NO DUST. See how that works? Can't have it both ways. Some weeks Montieth will blast from 18th to win running inches from the guardrail, other weeks, a fast guy will start on the pole and lead every lap. Sometimes the track will be dry, sometimes it won't. The variables are what make sprint car racing what it is. I've always said, there can be no good without the bad. In other words, if we see a barn burner week in and week out, everyone gets used to it and it becomes the norm so it will eventually not be that exciting anymore. Let's just be satisfied to have what we do because all in all, its pretty awesome despite some of the imperfections.
Way she goes.............

Deez Nuts
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by Deez Nuts » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:53 am

CH_88 wrote:
BlueOnBlack21 wrote:I think CH_88 nailed it. It was the first week give them a break. Everyone expects a perfect track every week no matter what the weather :roll:

I think you nailed it better than I did lol. You're exactly right. Too many people expect perfection every week. They expect to see the winner start 12th every week although they don't want to see the same guy win too often. They want to see a wide track, but it better be fast and have just the right sized cushion and dammit, NO DUST. See how that works? Can't have it both ways. Some weeks Montieth will blast from 18th to win running inches from the guardrail, other weeks, a fast guy will start on the pole and lead every lap. Sometimes the track will be dry, sometimes it won't. The variables are what make sprint car racing what it is. I've always said, there can be no good without the bad. In other words, if we see a barn burner week in and week out, everyone gets used to it and it becomes the norm so it will eventually not be that exciting anymore. Let's just be satisfied to have what we do because all in all, its pretty awesome despite some of the imperfections.

if people want the same track every week....go watch an asphalt race.... If you want to watch a dirt race, you have to accept that the track will be different every week. some weeks its good, other weeks its a little different. thats the name of the game.

Mrhappy1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mrhappy1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 am

I'll take dry slick with lots of passing any day over a rubber down surface.
Two totally different tracks!

GOSHOW
Legend
Legend

Post by GOSHOW » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Rubber down is a product of the tire and hopefully the current tire is a little better. Time will tell, but I have to agree any surface other than rubber down is race-able. Some peddle better than others and some are more gutsy than others pick your poison and if you can learn to do both well you have mastered your way to championships.

dsc1600
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by dsc1600 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:54 pm

The best races I've seen at the Grove is when the top is the preferred groove and the bottom/middle comes in mid race. That track can produce some of the best racing in the country.

STEVE PATTERSON
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by STEVE PATTERSON » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:16 am

Dry tracks Suck it's like watching Nascar follow the leader! Much better racing back when the Gary and the Larry show was going on. Just my opinion sorry (in the 70s.
THINGS TURN OUT BEST FOR THOSE OF US WHO MAKE THE BEST OF THE WAY THINGS TURN OUT.