WG Refreshment Stands

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
bkahn67
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Re: WG Refreshment Stands

Post by bkahn67 » Thu May 14, 2015 3:19 pm

I agree with just about everyone on here, I don't go to the races for food either but that dosnt make it right to serve subpar food and ask a premium price for it. I think the reason people are "whining" is because they know what Williamsgrove once was and what it could still be if some changes were made. Posse/Williamsgrove fans take pride in their drivers and their tracks and frankly the track is nothing to be proud of anymore. Social media can make or brake you, I agree you don't want to scare fans away with bad reviews but on the other hand this is the simplest way to communicate your displeasure with current state of things at the track. If it was only one or two bad eggs whining I would agree that these posts were causing more harm than good but at some point someone from Williamsgrove needs to listen to what the majority of their paying customers are saying and make changes or suffer the consequences. I guarantee if the Grove made some positive changes the same proud fans would be on here saying how great the improvements are and what a great track it is. Don't blame the fans for voicing their opinions, its the Grove managements turn to follow through and give these great Pennsylvania fans a track they can be proud of. I appreciate the comments on how lucky we are to have such nice facilities here in central PA, but we are talking about one of the most famous well known dirt tracks in the world, can you imagine what it must be like for someone traveling several hours to come to the world famous Williamsgrove Speedway for their very first time, they are expecting a world famous facility to be something special and they get there and see the run down antiquated state of Williamsgrove and cant get a soda because they ran out? I think this has more to do with the lack of spectators than any forum posts could ever have, JMO

Mr. Port

Post by Mr. Port » Thu May 14, 2015 6:51 pm

I agree and well said bahkn67.

DIRT-MAN
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by DIRT-MAN » Thu May 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Soooo with this all being said. If king of dirt Mr. Rahmer would promote Sellinsgrove Speedway on Friday nights would the crowd follow?

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Warthog » Thu May 14, 2015 7:12 pm

It's the same simple rules for any business. Treat the customer like you'd want to be treated, charge a fair price for a good product, work to keep the customers you have, then communicate with those who might want what you have to offer. The race fan's experience includes everything - the quality of the racing, the competence and friendliness of the staff, the quality and price of the food, clean restrooms, safety factors, good security to take care of any problems quickly and fairly. If any one of those factors is out of line, guess what most people remember? "It was a great night, EXCEPT..."

As many people have noted, a good promoter or track owner cares about the details, and cares about the fans. It sounds like the promotion team at Port gets it. They've done a good job so far in bringing Port back, and they are striving to improve. It sounds like Fred Rahmer gets it and is doing a good job in the shows that he puts on. I hope that some day, Lincoln and Williams Grove will get back to a mindset of trying to be the best that they can be, rather than taking the view that they've been around a long time, and people will come no matter what they do or don't do. And I hope that whoever takes over at Selinsgrove when the current promoter retires will also follow the lead of the Port team, and look at the place with an eye toward making improvements, not simply being satisfied with how it is.

Even so, let's be supportive, keep the criticism constructive, and do what we can to help the promoters at all the tracks identify and fix what needs fixing, so that together we can make things better for all of us.
Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Fri May 15, 2015 12:08 am

Put a fork in Selinsgrove...no matter how good the cheeseburger is, it sucks if it is covered with dust.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

NEWBOMB TURK
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by NEWBOMB TURK » Fri May 15, 2015 8:44 am

BigRightRear wrote:Put a fork in Selinsgrove...no matter how good the cheeseburger is, it sucks if it is covered with dust.
Very odd that you would be eating a cheeseburger while watching a race! :dontknow:
This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

wolfie2985
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wolfie2985 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Those good tastin' and good for ya' infield fries circa early/mid-80's were the best ever....had that peanut oil/racin' oil/methanol/nitro blend or something...each serving likely took a year off your life but they were worth it

Highside
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Highside » Fri May 15, 2015 3:15 pm

for comparison last weekend at eldora we got chicken tenders, some type of kielbasa/sausage, spicy cheese bites, a box of popcorn, and 2 beers for $14

bkahn67
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by bkahn67 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:19 pm

BigRightRear wrote:Put a fork in Selinsgrove...no matter how good the cheeseburger is, it sucks if it is covered with dust.
And even with 16 cars Selinsgrove has the best racing in Pennsylvania week in week out and No dust what so ever. The track has been smooth wide and racy every week, you go pay 30 for the freight train tonight at Williamsgrove I'll go watch a real race with three and 4 wide in the corners, winners coming from mid field, tons of passing even in the heat races. you base your opinion on the one race you attended last year after weeks of rain when the track was bumpy and Hodnett put on a hell if a show, how can you talk crap about Selinsgrove when you go to the track once a year? I guarantee I will see better racing at Selinsgrove than you will with the Outlaws Williamsgrove, have fun BigFatRear.

RunWYB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RunWYB » Sat May 16, 2015 7:10 pm

bkahn67 wrote:
And even with 16 cars Selinsgrove has the best racing in Pennsylvania week in week out and No dust what so ever. The track has been smooth wide and racy every week, you go pay 30 for the freight train tonight at Williamsgrove I'll go watch a real race with three and 4 wide in the corners, winners coming from mid field, tons of passing even in the heat races. you base your opinion on the one race you attended last year after weeks of rain when the track was bumpy and Hodnett put on a hell if a show, how can you talk crap about Selinsgrove when you go to the track once a year? I guarantee I will see better racing at Selinsgrove than you will with the Outlaws Williamsgrove, have fun BigFatRear.

:yessss: well said....had if counted right from 12 ESS cars already parked in the pits. Holy cow from 4:50-5:15 the skies opened and laid down a gully washer!

Was looking forward to another night of great racing!

racebug
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by racebug » Sat May 16, 2015 10:35 pm

there was no way Selinsgrove could have run tonight and I don't care if Fred Putney would have been there. Absolutely nothing against Fred but they had such a bad storm there was no way!

racehead
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by racehead » Sun May 17, 2015 11:46 am

I only get to Lincoln when the outlaws are there, and don't plan on missing any of them. Lincoln, (and port), have taken over the grove for my only two local, "outlaw viewing tracks".

Now, about the dust, depending on where you sit at any given race track, will depend on how much dust in your face. A sandstorm, average dust , or a little dust.
The Covered grandstands at Selinsgrove, no problem. Sit deep in turn one,,,,,,, possibly a lot of dust.
The majority of the seats at Selinsgrove are from way down the frontstretch to deep into turn one. The main grandstand really doesn't hold that many people (especially the forum guru's on here). The newer aluminum and wooden turn one grandstands seat many more than the covered grandstand, so naturally, your gonna have more fans bitchin about the dust than not. Take the grandstand down, add more aluminum higher seating like port, and it fixes the dust problem for hundreds more.

There's hardly any dust at port, because their bleachers are front stretch only. Their turns are narrow so it doesn't cause an issue like Selinsgrove's super wide, long, and sweeping full throttle monsters. A sprint car or latemodel's car is kicking it sideways for much more of a time at Selinsgrove than any other track around which obviously gives you more of a dust factor.

But my main point about dust is,,,,,Buy a pair of goggles for $5. Problem solved!
For anyone that states that Lincoln never gets dusty, I beg to differ. Now granted, we were sitting coming deep off of turn 4, where the dust and mud will fly. I never missed one lap with my goggles, and never complained one ounce. It's a dirt track for god sakes, and I voluntarily sat in mud clump and sandstorm alley. enjoyed every bit of it. I looked around during the feature and seen dozens of fans looking away, squinting, wiping, covering, you name it. I shook my head and wondered, you spent $30 to get in here, and missed half the feature. 5 more dollars and you could have seen every lap like me!