Worst Run Progam in a long time.

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
Tig88
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Worst Run Progam in a long time.

Post by Tig88 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Last Evenings programs was absolutely one of the worst run programs ever. At one point I think the water trucks ran more laps then the race cars. No wonder the rumors are starting to fly about another track trying to run Friday Evenings next year. I do applaud the extra pay for winning from a certain row. But to continue only being able to draw 23 or less 410's to the Premier Sprint Car track on the East coast, should be signaling there is a major issue with the Clip. That's my humble opinion and sticking to it. Have at it.
I use to like Oreo Cookies and Chocolate milk.

The Butcher
Crew Member
Crew Member

Re: Worst Run Progam in a long time.

Post by The Butcher » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:11 pm

I'll save you a seat at Grandview next Friday night, TIG. :pinkelephant: :bdf:
Alcohol...I Drink It To Make You More Interesting!

topwing66$
Rookie
Rookie

Post by topwing66$ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:38 pm

I did not like nor did I understand the format last night and I spoke to several Driver's as well as Car Owner's and they were just as puzzled. I think that the purse of $6000.00 to win was great but to do it with a "Down Under" format was the issue. Just think how much it cost just one team last night just to field a car.....Their fuel and tire bills all doubled. Then a lot of cars were tore up with Driver's trying to run each other over. I say next year they should drop the existing format and race for 40 laps. Heck last night if a driver ran hot laps (5 laps), 2 heats (16 total laps/ 8 laps per heat), the dash (6 laps) and the 30 lap feature, they ran 57 total laps.
They should just run time trials with the driver who sets fast time locked into the feature. All other cars qualify thru heats with the top 2 locked into a 6 lap dash. A 40 lap feature would be the distance for the feature. Of course the 305's would be included in the program, just to give the 410 teams time to prepare their cars for the feature.

BlueOnBlack21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlueOnBlack21 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:10 am

Bring back triple 20's :cheers2:

topwing66$
Rookie
Rookie

Post by topwing66$ » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:34 am

:clap: :jiggy: :jiggy: :jiggy: :jiggy: :jiggy: :jiggy: I'll drink to that! :cheers2:
BlueOnBlack21 wrote:Bring back triple 20's :cheers2:

CTtoPA
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by CTtoPA » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Why criticize the facility in regards to the expense of fielding a car? They're running $40,000 motors that cost $6,000 to freshen for $3,600 to the winner. The economics of racing never make sense.
Better Living Through Chemistry

pushtruck
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by pushtruck » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 am

DRAW 23 CARS OR LESS
Add Allen, Darrah, Kreith, Schuchart and Smith to the 23 would show a better picture.

LOTSLOT OF CARS WERE TORN UP
Can happen at any track, any division from time to time.

I did not understand the 'slight adjustments?

I prefer 25 Laps, 20 laps seem like a Ted Johnson short coming.

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 pm

I've been saying for years that any format that you need a scorecard to keep track of where the cars are falling in line for a feature starting spot sucks. I'm glad the Grove confirmed it for everyone now.
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Ahh.."the clip", therefore lies the problem. Shorten those a straights a tad and make it a drivers track instead of a motor track. I think you would see more cars and better/closer racing. I agree about the complicated formats. I don't particularly care for double heats, passing points and all that nonsense. Dash, I can take or leave. Get to the feature already.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

DavidM
Legend
Legend

Post by DavidM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:19 am

hotrodney wrote:Ahh.."the clip", therefore lies the problem. Shorten those a straights a tad and make it a drivers track instead of a motor track. I think you would see more cars and better/closer racing. I agree about the complicated formats. I don't particularly care for double heats, passing points and all that nonsense. Dash, I can take or leave. Get to the feature already.

Messing with the layout at the Grove would be like removing the banking at Daytona or putting in a tri-oval at Indy. Some things don't need to be screwed with.
If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do" Warren Miller

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

BigRightRear
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by BigRightRear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:32 pm

They are getting a similar percentage of empty seats as a NASCRAP race in recent weeks...something is already messing with tradition.
Home of the OUTLAW A$$WHIPPERS
Lincoln = 1845 ft. = .35 mile T3=124 MPH
Eldora = 2287 ft. = .43 mile T3=135 MPH
Port = 2716 ft. = .51 mile T3=TBD
Grove = 2792 ft. = .53 mile T3=135 MPH
Selinsgrove = 2847 ft. = .54 mile T1=136 MPH

2015: 43 Races
Grove: 17 / Lincoln: 13 / Port: 4 / Susky: 5 / Path Valley: 2 / Trailway: 1 /. ISMA @ Waterford New London: 1

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:17 am

BigRightRear wrote:They are getting a similar percentage of empty seats as a NASCRAP race in recent weeks...something is already messing with tradition.
I noticed that too. People can say what they want about football and all that but the fact is, Williams Grove has lost a lot of its luster and the crowds all year (except for WoO weekends and speedweek) have reflected that. The atmosphere there is just flat and the vibe I get is that there just isn't much excitement surrounding the place anymore. It wasn't all that long ago that The Grove was like the taj mahal. Every Friday, the pits were full and anytime anyone won there, even on a regular Friday night, it was held in a higher regard than winning at any of the Saturday night tracks. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Unless the Outlaws are in town, its just another dirt track. They need to mend their relationship with the fans, teams and whoever else and get some promoting going on. Take the money spent on the fireworks that most of us are beyond tired of and put it into the purse or other promotions. Things are visibly headed in the wrong direction and its sad to see what was once Central Pa's most revered and iconic arena of speed struggling to get full fields and good crowds. I won't claim to have all the answers and I don't think for one minute that I could run a racetrack but something is wrong and I hope that we see a revival like we've seen in recent years at Port Royal.
Way she goes.............

Cody91
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by Cody91 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 am

JMO but the racing there for most nights is terrible, doesn't seem like much passing at all rare anyone comes from midpack, I feel the tracks configuration makes it like this. Lincoln may have a snoozer every now and then but most nights the features there are exciting, like the one with the 5 car battle for the win 2 weeks ago. Just my opinion but other then when the WoO is at the Grove there isn't much to attract you to go there anymore. This is JMO. I think to get the place to draw cars and fans it needs to be shortened by 1/4 of the straights atleast! Unless someone has a much better idea to fix this its gonna just keep getting worse and worse.

Highside
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Highside » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:05 am

racing on friday nights has been good most of the year, just because someone doesnt come from mid pack doesnt mean its not a good race

bigbrad115
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bigbrad115 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:13 pm

I realize that there are numerous factors involved in why the car counts and fan counts have dropped at the Grove.
But, I feel that the biggest factor in why car counts are low is simply the high cost of fielding a car. $50,000 engines, titanium parts, and high priced tire rules (just to name a few) have really put a hurting on most owners. Most teams these days seem to be family owned, and they can only afford to race one night per weekend. Plus, Saturday nights are when most of the drivers and crew help have off of work.
Gone are the days like in the 80's and 90's when the Grove was the place to see all of the good cars from Lincoln, Selinsgrove, and Port all in one spot.
Gone are the days when there was usually four heats and two B-mains on a regular Friday night race.

For the fans, it is no secret that everything costs more. Gasoline, food, rent, mortgages, car payments, (just to name a few) can take a good chunk of a single person's paycheck. Double or triple that if you have a family.
Admission isn't cheap, especially if you want to take the family. I'm sure that a family with two student admissions can reach $50. Plus another $50 for food and drinks for the evening.
There too, going one night a weekend seems to be what most family's can do. And Saturday night seems to be when the time is right for a family to go.