Silver Crown Race

Discuss anything related to Williams Grove
sprntlover
Site Admin
Site Admin

Silver Crown Race

Post by sprntlover » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 am

That ended up being a great race around the halfway mark. I wasn't too sure for the first 40 laps though :doh:
Editing Is A Rewording Activity

cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Re: Silver Crown Race

Post by cjettmail » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:40 am

The race didn't start to good but after about 25-30 laps it got good, the last 10 laps got real good. I thought Clauson was going to get Windom, great finish they better come back next year!!

KWR
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by KWR » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:07 am

Silver Crown racing is a little bit different than sprint car racing, I compare it to sipping wine to drinking beer.
I had some people tell me they thought it wasn't the greatest - that was during the first 45 lap "yellow flags-r-us" run.
After the race just about everybody thought it was great, saw some keyboard commandos on line complaining but they were the ones that always find something to complain about.
With the crowd, the car count (while not being a full field it was much better than the 16-18 that I was expecting) and the atmosphere I'm sure that they'll be back next year and I'll be counting the days.

One more thing, we walked the track after the race and were amazed to find a pair of 18" cushions in two and four.
Incredible what the track does in a hundred laps when they don't get to groom it.
...and where were the leaders racing - on the cushion.

CTtoPA
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by CTtoPA » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:59 am

This was my second time seeing them on a 1/2. The other time was the 2006 Sumar that had a yellow literally every 3 laps for the first 55 laps or so.
I thought the race was pretty good. Obviously strategy is different for 100 laps but Windom had them covered early on and never relinquished the lead.
Mark Smith did well with a 6th place finish!
Better Living Through Chemistry

cjettmail
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by cjettmail » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:31 pm

It is a Completely different racing, after the 30-35 lap mark it just kept getting better and the last 10 lap were great. And just look at what a good track does for the racing, Lincoln & Grandview should take notes and give the USAC guys a good race track the Grove was still good even on lap 100.
THEY MUST BRING THEM BACK, & maybe the USAC sprints someday.

Dave Exner
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Dave Exner » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm

The race got better and better as they ran and the last couple of laps were outstanding. It was great to see a large fan turnout. The Grove hit a home run with this race. Hope USAC comes back to the Grove soon!
I hate cold weather more than politicians..............

RSCAracer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RSCAracer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:27 pm

I believe it's was a great night of racing last night. I appreciated seeing those guys "back in" those "big sprinters" without the aid of a big wing brake. I enjoy wing sprint racing, but I'm growing tired of big wings locking down the cars racing, dirty air talk, red-flag fuel stops, rubbered-down surfaces, etc. Last night was a refreshing change and hope the USAC Silver Crown, Sprint and midgets come to the Grove next year. Regarding the comments on the good track condition I heard from some fans last night, ...... they did a good job preparing the track, but in my opinion there were other factors other than track preparation that resulted in a non-rubbered down and nice cushion surface. When you don't have all the laps that are run during most regular shows, have fewer cars, and cars that don't have wings which lock-down the soft tired 410s..... there's some of the reasons the track held up better.

Swandogg
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by Swandogg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:49 pm

I figured the mere lack of track time accounted for the early spins in the feature until the drivers got a handle on the track. Overall, I felt the entire show was excellent, and I hope to see USAC expand its presence in the east in the years to come!! :yessss: :yessss: :thumbright: :cheers2:
When in doubt....GAS IT!!!
'A man's got to know his limitations' - Dirty Harry

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 1321718744

2016 races:

Port Royal - 6
Mercer - 1
Sharon - 2
Eldora - 1
Lincoln - 1
Williams Grove - 2
Lernerville - 9
Thunder Mountain - 1
McKean County - 4
Tri-City (PA) - 1
Bradford - 1

CTtoPA
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Post by CTtoPA » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 am

They would probably do well at Port, Selinsgrove and Bridgeport. There are only 3 dirt miles on their schedule so a big 1/2 or 5/8 is the next best thing
Better Living Through Chemistry

minthess
Rookie
Rookie

Post by minthess » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 pm

An amazing nite. Mainly because of proper moisture.