It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:12 am 

I have a few more online here:
http://photos.butlerracingphotos.com/p160869679

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:41 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Location: Fridays: Racing at selinsgrove...Saturday: At port workin on a sprint car.
Great shots I really like the first 1 my 2 favorite latemodel drivers. My new backround :thumbleft:

Trailways wins: 1

2009 Selinsgrove Lites Points champ
2009 PDKS Flat 370 Points champ

Tearin up the roads since Halloween '08

Hi my name is Tyler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:37 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Great shots Rhett, easily the toughest place I've ever tried to shoot...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:14 pm 
WRT Web Designs wrote:
Great shots Rhett, easily the toughest place I've ever tried to shoot...

Thanks. I only get to visit a few tracks. All of them here in my area (Fayetteville and Dublin to name a couple) are terribly difficult to shoot at because of infield pits, bad angles, dust, etc. On those tracks I can't use my 70-200 lens, I have to stay on the short side with a 28-70. Lowes seems to open up so many possibilities. I think it's my favorite place to shoot. I can't wait to get back out there in October for the "Showdown" event. I'm curious to hear more about what your experience has been there.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:25 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Everything that I struggled with was because of a lack of light. The musco lights are great, but they really don't seem to help me much, and because you're 1/2 mile off of the surface, my sb800 was absolutely useless. I have since upgraded my body and flash, so I'm interested to see what I can do at the World Finals this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
Excellent work Rhett. Looks like the new camera is treating you well. A good tool in the tool chest indeed :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:14 pm 
WRT Web Designs wrote:
Everything that I struggled with was because of a lack of light. The musco lights are great, but they really don't seem to help me much, and because you're 1/2 mile off of the surface, my sb800 was absolutely useless. I have since upgraded my body and flash, so I'm interested to see what I can do at the World Finals this year.

Yes, the only other time I was able to shoot there I used the SB800 at ISO 800. That was with a D80 and the noise was pretty obvious. That first shot above was with no flash. I decided that I was going to get some decent shots of Bloomer and Zilla without the dreaded reflective ghost that the 0 car usually hands us. I went up to ISO 1600 on the D300 and I'm very happy with the results on a few that I took of him with that setting. Beats the ghost. :)

There were two guys out there last night wielding the D3. hmmmm... :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:18 pm 
Greggbert wrote:
Excellent work Rhett. Looks like the new camera is treating you well. A good tool in the tool chest indeed :thumbleft:

Thanks! I can honestly say that I probably would not be doing this if it wasn't for me finding your photo work online at the end of last summer. What was an exercise in learning more about dirt racing in general led me to your photos. That created a monster. I don't think my wife appreciates it. :roflmao: So, while I hardly ever get the chance to see sprints in this area, I still check out your work to see how much more I need to learn. :)

:cheers2:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:34 pm 
Rhett, tell your Wife that you bought the camera and continue to invest in it's accessories so you could capture her radiant beauty since your old one could never do her justice.

Let me know how that works out for ya. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Good to see ya were up on the shutter and snagging multicar action stuff. Looks good.
I love shooting at Lowes. The Musco lighting so soooo good there that you can easily shoot ambient light with good glass. The distance to track isnt any worse than VMS or SG. And the size of the track lends to a 70-200mm lense. You can sweep the entire turns with that size.
hmm,must be something about Nikon pentaprisms that results in that wierd reverse ghosting ya see in some pics from reflective graphics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:31 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Great shots.....that's just how I remember the late models from last year at the World Finals. Can't hardly wait for this year.... :pinkelephant:

(Proverbs 17:14)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 am 
Slash wrote:
Good to see ya were up on the shutter and snagging multicar action stuff. Looks good.
I love shooting at Lowes. The Musco lighting so soooo good there that you can easily shoot ambient light with good glass. The distance to track isnt any worse than VMS or SG. And the size of the track lends to a 70-200mm lense. You can sweep the entire turns with that size.
hmm,must be something about Nikon pentaprisms that results in that wierd reverse ghosting ya see in some pics from reflective graphics.

Thanks. Yep, I took position at the furthest point in turn 1/2. The 70-200 seemed to be a perfect fit. My shutter was around 1/320th for most of the night. I got plenty of good shots at 1/250th as well. It's a catch 22 for me. I don't particularly enjoy the feeling I get when I see stop-action racing shots. Yep, the cars usually look crystal clear, which is good, but I lose the sense of motion. I stayed high on the shutter for this entire event and now I wish I would have gone lower, at least for hot laps. Oh well. :)

As for the ghosting, it's getting to the point to where I will simply stop photographing cars with reflective graphics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:12 am 
Skinner wrote:
Great shots.....that's just how I remember the late models from last year at the World Finals. Can't hardly wait for this year.... :pinkelephant:

Thanks Skinner. I hope you have a great time. I'll miss the World Finals. I'm going to go trick-or-treating with my kids. :)

The photos from the Colossal feature, which I'm trying to get online now, are a mess. Most of the cars were covered in mud, the track walls were covered, etc. There was also a lot of moisture / haze in the air following the rain that fell. White balance was awful (due to the abundance of red clay maybe?), exposures were off, etc. I guess for a main feature, they're OK. On the few tracks that I've shot, the dust is usually so bad that it's not even worth shooting the feature. Lowes sure does a good job of keeping the dust down! :)