Carnage from Selinsgrove last night....

Post your personal or favorite pictures of dirt Fendered cars
Greggbert

Re: Carnage from Selinsgrove last night....

Post by Greggbert » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:57 pm

I don't understand. Did it start raining and then there was a crash ? I can't tell if that's rain or dust in those first two shots. What happened ?

Greggbert

Post by Greggbert » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Some freaky weather stuff goes on up there from time to time. The 410 Sprint Fog Bowl the other year. The Pro stock sudden ice over the year before that. :thinking:

Darren Landis
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by Darren Landis » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:30 pm

looks like alot of work this week for alot of teams.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Wow! That is a lot of twisted metal, hate to see that.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:35 pm

PRF Designs wrote:
Greggbert wrote:Some freaky weather stuff goes on up there from time to time. The 410 Sprint Fog Bowl the other year. The Pro stock sudden ice over the year before that. :thinking:
Yeah that Fog race was probably the craziest thing I have ever seen at a race track. The mystery is what happened in turn 1 and 2 with Layton and Heimbach. :laughing7: :thinking:
Yeah I think Blaine got foganized that night. :laughing7: I remember an allstar race at Port Royal in the 90's that had to be cancelled because of fog. They even hotlapped the sprints for a few laps to try to get it to lift but to no avail, pretty spooky.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

Stroker
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by Stroker » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Wow !
Berkheimer Motorsports
Hammaker Automotive / Mike Buchenauer General Contracting / Jones Performance
J&T Fabrication / Teasdale Automotive Machining / Keystone Brawlers Wrestling
-----------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Quirk Custom Signs
Race Graphics / Signs / Decals / Lettering
We wrap race cars . helmets . vehicles
http://www.kevinquirk.com

taurus014
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by taurus014 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:57 pm

17 cars were still running at that point. The 92 of Romig and the 14C of Conrad were the only two I believe that were not involved. There was no stopping once that rain hit. What made it worse is just a few seconds later, maybe a minute or two, the power to the entire speedway went out.

High in the first turn
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by High in the first turn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:35 pm

Greggbert wrote:I don't understand. Did it start raining and then there was a crash ? I can't tell if that's rain or dust in those first two shots. What happened ?
Thats rain. Sheets of it. Since I never shot in a monsoon I wasn't sure what the setup should be. There were a few drops and then all of a sudden there were buckets of water. I was running for cover when I heard the crashing and turned to get the first 2 shots before ducking into a trailer. Within 10 minutes it stopped raining but there was ankle deep running water in the pits.

I personally talked to one crew member who said their driver was being transported to the hospital. He was walking around but they wanted to get him checked out. I saw another being treated in the pits but later saw him walking around.

Never have I seen such a bizarre string of events happen in such a short period of time. These pictures are not to assign blame but to document and unfortunate series of strange events.

I like many went running for cover as the track was inundated when I heard the crashing. The first thing I noticed were crew members scrambling to the track and my thoughts were I hope all the cars are stopped, but I'm sure concern and emotion had taken over at that point.

There was an incredible amount of confusion and high emotions after the incident as would be expected. My concern was for the drivers. I walked through the pits and saw drivers being treated by EMTs and talked to a crew member about a driver that was being taken to the hospital. Not to downplay any potential injuries I did see those drivers walking around either before or after those observations.

Here are some pictures of the damage.
Erics car, the first night out
Kid Lazer
Shuey sitting under Campbell
Steve checks out the damage
Last weeks winner
Beward in the trailer
Bobby Cropp told me that going into the first turn that when the wave of water hit him he thought he blew his engine.

Here's a shout out to all the hard working crew members who have some late nights ahead of them in the coming weeks.

Greggbert

Post by Greggbert » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 pm

Great job on documenting that Steve. Looks like a lot of work and $ for a lot of teams in the coming week(s). Mother Nature doesn't like race tracks this season.

Slash
Pit Member
Pit Member

Post by Slash » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:52 pm

We had torrential rains at Lernerville but the difference is the officials came around and said there is a bad storm coming in 5 to 10 minutes and 10 minutes later it hit hard. They were smart enuff not to have cars on the track with that chance of bad rain.. :poking: