Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:41 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

For Immediate Release:
February 24, 2014

Appalachian Mountain Speedweek Restructures Purse and Welcomes Harbaugh Amusement Machine back as Title Sponsor for 2014.

The Appalachian Mountain Speedweek, in conjunction with Bob and Diane Harbaugh, is proud to announce that Harbaugh Amusement Machine has returned as the title sponsor of the popular Mid-Atlantic Super Late Model racing series. 2014 will mark the third consecutive year that the Martinsburg, West Virginia Company, specializing in Mega Touch machines and Automated Teller Machines (ATM), will serve as the title sponsor for the Pennsylvania based series.

“We could never ask for a better title sponsor for the series” said series co-promoter, Kurt Smith. “Bob and Diane genuinely love racing and their involvement not only makes our Speedweek better, but the whole sport in general. They are very hands on sponsors, and that is certainly the way Jason and I like it. We have made a few changes that we feel will help the series drivers and speedways this year and Bob and Diane were instrumental in helping make those decisions” added Smith.

The Harbaugh Amusement Appalachian Mountain Speedweek would also like to announce a restructure of the series purse for 2014. Without reducing the overall total purse for an AMS series event, the winner’s share of an Appalachian Mtn. Speedweek event was reduced from $5,000 down to $4,000 with the thousand dollars being spread back through the field. An Appalachian Mtn. Speedweek event will now pay a minimum of $400 to start, up from $300 last year. The only position that will see a reduction in purse will be the winner. Every other position stays the same and most will see an increase in 2014.

“The purse restructure was something Kurt and I felt we needed to do” said co-promoter Jason Clapper. “This is a tough economy for our sport, as not only do the costs for the competitors keep rising, but the cost for the speedways to open the gates every week also keeps getting higher. Realistically, for the most part speedways cannot afford to raise the purse. We want to make it clear that we did not cut the total purse but felt it was more important not to have a top heavy purse. By cutting the winners share down to $4,000 we were able to add more money to each position from 9th through 24th and raise the start money to $400. Second place, as it always has will pay $2,000 and back through 8th place will stay the same as in years past. Once we talked to Bob and Diane about it, they agreed that this was the right thing to do to better the series. We all made this decision in an effort to help all the teams that do travel and race with us” stated Clapper.

Look for more exciting news from the Appalachian Mountain Speedweek in the weeks to come. You can keep up to date at the WRT redesign official Harbaugh Amusement Appalachian Mountain Speedweek web site at www.lmspeedweek.com and also on the series Face Book and Twitter accounts.

Appalachian Mountain Speedweek 2014 Marketing Partners:
Harbaugh Amusement Machine, Inc., Buchanan Auto Park, Crow Design, Dirt On Dirt.com, Dirt Late Model Illustrated Magazine, Ernie D’s Enterprises, HTMA/Hoosier Race Tires, K.R.S. Graphics, MBH Race Cars, Millers Racing Parts, Rocket Chassis, Schaeffer Racing Oil, Sign Design – Bill Funk, Sports Plus Video & WRT Speedwerx.

2014 Appalachian Mountain Speedweek Schedule:
May 30th – Roaring Knob Motorsports Complex
May 31st – Hagerstown Speedway
June 1st – Bedford Speedway
June 2nd – Port Royal Speedway - Charlie Grinestaff Memorial

Prepared & distributed by KRS Graphics Motorsports Media

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:32 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

This is how purses should be structured. Good work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:03 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Agree Sprint 76.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I dont understand how they couldnt come up with one more track. Four races is not a speedweek. Im sure Path Valley, Trailways, Susky, Eastbay or Natural Bridge would have been interested in a race. Although I still prefer Potomac and Winchester

Hagerstown: 4
Potomac: 3
Lincoln: 1
Path Valley: 1
Susquehanna Speedway Park: 1
Williams Grove: 4
Virginia Motor Speedway: 1
Winchester: 3
Trail Way: 1
Port Royal: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Spreading the money out will get you a higher car count than paying big money to win and a hotdog and coke for for second.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Would love to see the Grove pick up June 3rd and have the limited lates also. Make it an all late model show at the Grove.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:37 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

wentworth09w wrote:
I dont understand how they couldnt come up with one more track. Four races is not a speedweek. Im sure Path Valley, Trailways, Susky, Eastbay or Natural Bridge would have been interested in a race. Although I still prefer Potomac and Winchester

Is the current schedule "it" for this year, or are the organizers still in negotiations with one or more additional tracks? If this is the full schedule, is the limited number of dates due to the Speedweek organizers not trying to get more tracks for whatever reason, or were there tracks that declined, deciding that they didn't like the "terms and conditions" presented by the Speedweek team?

Not saying there's any good guys or bad guys. I'm sure everybody involved is trying to do the best they can for whatever entity they represent, and to benefit the Late Model class as a whole. I'm just trying to understand, not play the blame game.

Thanks in advance to anybody who has information to share.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

When I asked those involved I was told that Winchester & Potomac were going in a different direction this year, Dog Hollow was still closed but now has someone with a lease. Path Valley told me that they were contacted but with only two people actually doing all the work there never gave it a chance. I for one was very upset that there were not more races scheduled but was told by Mr. Davis and Mr. Jones that there is a possibility that there could be another track come on board. Not sure about Susky, never got a chance to talk to Mr. Fisher about them but it seems like people are not open to talk them. Would live to see another Super Late show at Susky as it is a Late Model track. Williams Grove is loved by the drivers but they are not real supportive of the Late models and have proven that over the years of AMS events. Have no answers, only questions. The AMS is an awesome series and I plan my vacation around it. Hope they are able to add at least one more event!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:21 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Maybe Port will come through and have a back to back night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:35 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I don't see them adding another date.. They sure wont add one after Ports race because that wont give the teams the speedweek deal is all about now time to get to Eldora..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:23 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

If you follow the years of AMS most of the teams don't go to the dream anyway. Eckert can stay at home, spend less and race against quality and sleep in own bed at night. Coffee, Mars, Smith, T-mac, Francis and Richards all enjoyed racing in the series.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:31 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I do want to thank everyone for their interest. I can tell you that discussions were had with a lot of different tracks including Mr. Fisher at SSP. This series is based out of Mechanicsburg so of course we hit the local tracks hard. Every track has valid business reasons to not take a mid week show in this economy and we respect that. I will say Lincoln Speedway called us and explained that they were presented with a no lose situation regarding their USAC show and it was still not an easy decision for them to make. We still have a great relationship with them and will be fans at their USAC show.

We might only have 4 tracks at this time but I can promise we will bring the best product we can to give you fans a great night of entertainment. We are very grateful to Rick Jones, Ernie Davis, Joe Padula along with the Bedford Fair Board and Steve O'Neal along with the Port Royal Fair Board. These 4 tracks have worked together and will not run late models against each other so that we can put this show on.

Jamie, I know in five years this series has not made you happy whether it is travel or too much competition but I promise you that Eldora does not play into it at all. If I remember correctly I think that our champion was the only driver that headed to Ohio. If we could get tracks that will run later in the week we would in a heartbeat. Our purse is $20,000 if you'd like to help one of the tracks out to add a show I am sure the speedway and the series and it's drivers including Mike would be very grateful. As much as you do not like the series we appreciate the races that you and the 06 team enter.

Best regards,
Appalachian Mountain Speedweek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:28 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

The first year the way the schedule was made up was bad.. We all know that and its water under the bridge... The issue is the local racers you all lost simply because they don't have the budget to risk not making the features.. And most felt with Mars..Coffey..Tmac..Eckert. Satterlee racing the chances of not making the feature were even more present and simply stopped racing the series.. That's pretty much my issue.. I liked the idea of this being done for the local drivers who support these local tracks on a weekly basis.. Get where I am coming from??? I don't care who rolls through the gate... Racing with good guys only makes ya better.. Pretty much why we raced at Hagerstown for those years to race with Stuhler.. Miller.. Spence.. Guys that made ya bring your A-Game to the track.. After we got better we hit bigger shows and are we are now... We race with those traveling guys a lot during the season.. Like I said.. Just wish there were less big named drivers and more local drivers... Lowering the purse may do that.. We liked that.. and applaud you guys for that... :clap: :bananadance:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think its a great series and feel anyone should be able to enter. I understand that it was started for the local guys, but you can't pick and choose whose allowed to race. To build your brand you need as many drivers/teams as possible to show up. Big dollar teams and all. Hats off to the tracks that are in for this year and the promoters that make all this happens. Yes it would be nice to have more tracks for this year but it is what it is. Maybe more teams will be able to attend all the shows since there are less this year. One can only hope.

We will find out and I hope all the teams bring their "A" game every night they come out to race for the entire season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Car counts have always been good, but this week is always a total pain in the ***. Never understood the obsession with always staying commited to this one week. Since it's enception the Dream year after year is somehow an obstacle. A lot of race teams are just coming off sometimes 4 day race weekends around Memorial Day. Plus it's just not that easy with kids still in school, and ball being played for crew guys, fans and family's to get behind this and totally get into it. Even mid June or mid July makes so much more sense. I always enjoy it, and never want to knock it. But this area should be able to get behind and back a 7 day or more swing, with all these premiere tracks and diehard fans and great race teams. Every team wants to be a full time team, but let's be realistic, not all can be. A 7 day stretch mid summer could turn into a great getaway or vacation week for fans and teams.