Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Port 6/17/08
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:49 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I love Port,but the track sucks and it has for awhile.It's a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Charge $22 and run WOO late models only and the track will hold up and we will all get home at a reasonable hour.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I used to believe that a dry track was a WoO requirement but I've since learned that is not true. They almost always wind up with a dry, slick track because if the track is watered as much as it is for a normal weekly show, the extra cars plus time trials on it early in the evening leave it badly rutted, which can cause crashes and a one-lane track, both of which are worse than a dry, slick track. I know it seems like the WoO wants that kind of a track, but I was told by the person who preps a track that hosts WoO races that it doesn't happen because they want it that way.

There's no doubt that racing on so many dry slicks has made them better on them than most local teams. Perhaps in addition to practicing time-trialing the week before an Outlaw race, the track should be drier than usual.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:32 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Tweedlee wrote:
Charge $22 and run WOO late models only and the track will hold up and we will all get home at a reasonable hour.

The Wizzard wrote:
That will happen right after you charge $0.05 for a beer... :cheers2: ...A pitcher of beer I meant!... :doh:

psn tag: thefurb1593

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:01 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Brent Leach wrote:
They sure do a reMARKable job with the track though . :cwm4:

I don't beleive it that there were stones in the surface . Many on here say there are no stones. :cwm4: :cwm4: :cwm4:

That place is a quarry! It looked okay for the first week, but then the dirt he sprinkled over the rocks blew off! ReMARKable!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:17 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

This whole Port Royal debacle looks like a replay of Selinsgrove Speedway about 10 years ago! It takes a GOOD PROMOTER, A GOOD PR MAN AND MONEY to get out of it. I watched Selinsgrove sink to the pits and rise to one of the best tracks in the country. Promoting a race track is not something a fair board can do! Selinsgrove's Fair Board tried it. It is not a part time job! If the track has rocks in it, you get equipment in and take the track down to the base. Sift what you take off and put it back down. Get good SIFTED CLAY and put that on. That is what Selinsgrove did! They also put new SIFTED CLAY on every fall. Business people also love racing. They will donate their services and products for a little PR. Alot of what you see at Selinsgrove is because of local business's.
How the hell do you spell business's? :dontknow:

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm 
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:58 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Just a question--- What kind of race surface would you rather race on Wet and rough or dry and smooth?

Another question--- If you think Selinsgrove is the pinnacle of race tracks, why don't they listen to their fans requests and bring in an "Outlaw type" late model show?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:32 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Why does a track have to be wet & rough OR dry and smooth. How about somewhere in between. I go to the Grove every Friday and for the most part the track is excellent each and every week. Why, because they put the required effort into it every week. Every dirt track needs to sustain a cushion the ENTIRE night to create multiple racing grooves and thus entertaining racing. The Grove always has a cushion and even if drys out and slicks off there is still something for those who run the top to grab hold of. Seems the few times I go to Port each year hot laps and a few heats are good then it is crap after that.
Lesson number one from Tuesday night for next year, NO support divison needed. If you are not going to put forth the effort to have enough mositure in the track so it holds up then you sure as hell do not need 100 race cars putting laps on it.
As everyone seems to agree the Port is a great place to watch a race it is just the people running the place need to do a better job or let someone else do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:43 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

No Rookie wrote:
Another question--- If you think Selinsgrove is the pinnacle of race tracks, why don't they listen to their fans requests and bring in an "Outlaw type" late model show?

Because it's not the fans money to throw around. It's the promoters, and he feels it is not a "good" business decision to host an outlaw latemodel race. From what I heard, the grandstand was not packed at all for the 2nd year in a row out there at Port. Face it, this is sprint car country whether you like it or not.

I for one would love to see the big dogs at Selinsgrove, but it's not my money to waste.
The regular shows at $10 a head, the number of bigger shows they have on their schedule makes the promoter happy, the fans happy, and the local drivers happy. All is well at the Snyder county oval, even without the touring division at Selinsgrove.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:57 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

racehead wrote:
No Rookie wrote:

Because it's not the fans money to throw around. It's the promoters, and he feels it is not a "good" business decision to host an outlaw latemodel race. From what I heard, the grandstand was not packed at all for the 2nd year in a row out there at Port. Face it, this is sprint car country whether you like it or not.

I for one would love to see the big dogs at Selinsgrove, but it's not my money to waste.
The regular shows at $10 a head, the number of bigger shows they have on their schedule makes the promoter happy, the fans happy, and the local drivers happy. All is well at the Snyder county oval, even without the touring division at Selinsgrove.

What he said! :jiggy:

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:17 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

applepower wrote:
Why does a track have to be wet & rough OR dry and smooth. How about somewhere in between. I go to the Grove every Friday and for the most part the track is excellent each and every week. Why, because they put the required effort into it every week. Every dirt track needs to sustain a cushion the ENTIRE night to create multiple racing grooves and thus entertaining racing. The Grove always has a cushion and even if drys out and slicks off there is still something for those who run the top to grab hold of. Seems the few times I go to Port each year hot laps and a few heats are good then it is crap after that.
Lesson number one from Tuesday night for next year, NO support divison needed. If you are not going to put forth the effort to have enough mositure in the track so it holds up then you sure as hell do not need 100 race cars putting laps on it.
As everyone seems to agree the Port is a great place to watch a race it is just the people running the place need to do a better job or let someone else do it.

I agree with you apple! I was kinda comparing Port and Selinsgrove the nights I was at either.
Selinsgrove had bite but was a little rough and choppy. Port was smooth but dried out till feature time. There was good racing and passing at both tracks(reg shows). As several others said though after running around 100 cars what do you expect?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:25 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

racehead wrote:
No Rookie wrote:

So are you saying Port did not make money Tuesday night? I'm not saying to have the fans run the place but they do pay the ticket price and fill the stands. If "everybody" thinks Port is such a dump and they had 2 successful WoO latemodel shows look at the potential for Selinsgrove. Just my observation!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

if i recall correctly, when the springs ran their speedweek show, alan used to water the track a little right before the feature. just enough water to stay between wet and dry. i always liked that idea, i feel it made the feature a lot more entertaining to watch. the only downfall, not sure how that would affect the set up. it would be a little more guess work involved.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Quote:
4: You guys are stupid enough to keep paying big dollars to watch their shows. When you know it don't even compare to a regular show in PA at any of our tracks.

racefanatic - i dont feel stupid. i'll choose WoO late models at a dry port over 75% of the events at a rocky SSP anyday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next