Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Port Royal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Fousty wrote:
Thanks for the post on letting some folks know what happened to me....I am the guy who runs that Ford that was leading on the last lap.I took a screwing,no doubt about it,first from the guy who spun me out and 2nd.,from the "Little Boy" who is the track president that sent me to the rear.If it would have been any other track other than Port Royal,I would have been put back where I was and the the dirty driver would have been put to the rear. This was as close as I have come to winning a race in 6 years,and I wish to thank everyone in the grandstand who stood up and spoke for me! I have raced at Port Royal for the past 11 years. We all know and have heard how Port Royal runs their shows.If I had a nickel for everyone who said I got screwed,I would have won more than the winning purse!
What is really going on "behind the scenes",and this is only a chip off the iceberg,is the track president has quite a grudge towards a few of us,including my sponsor,who actually cares about the place and wishes to make it better for all who attend Port Royal.He sinks piles of $$$$ into the place by installing new rest rooms/showers in the infield,supporting the drivers by providing a "Driver and Crew Appreciation" cookout,purchasing bikes for "kids night",and on and on.....My sponsor wants to install new wiring for the track lights next but for some reason has hit a brick wall,and it has'nt happened,Why?.We all know Port Royal is always financially broke,(yea',too many cooks with their hands in the kettles),yet they keep taking a crap on the people who "want to" support the place and make it better for all who attend.By the way,has anyone ever had anything fit to eat from any of their "family/board member owned" concession stands???They have access to a perminant building on the grounds that is capable of serving folks home cooked meals,that they can sit down and enjoy....and even collect 25% of the sales from this actual concession building,but they really want $700 minimum per race night for it to be open.Yea' thats another crooked situation,as if some of those pockets are'nt being stuffed enough.Has anyone wondered why the OIP pizza stand has not been open for food sales this year behind the grandstand? Port Royal is always more than happy to take your money,yet they will never want listen or act upon any suggestions.His position(track president) has gotten some attention recently,and when my situation arose on the track he had a split moment to make the right decision and the wrong decision....well,he chose to see the oportunity to get back at my sponsor and I and obviously chose personal matters instead of a professional determination.I can only hope he may have thought twice when he heard the reaction from the grandstand afterwards.I may end up taking a shot in the arm by posting all :clap: this if certain folks see my poting,but its about time it comes to the surface how they run their show! Thanks for letting me vent a bit! Neil Foust.

That's too bad that they took your first win away :(

I don't understand the way the place is run either. The church stand and the OIP are excellent ways to make money! Does make you wonder if they don't want the competition. If the money all goes in the tracks kitty why does it matter where it comes from? I've heard rumors for years that the board members were skimming money off the top. These examples just make it more believable.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 pm 
Well, Fousty, it seems you have faced the wrath of PRS. This is a tremendous facility that is poorly run. Although I'm not a regular racer at PRS...that is, not there every week...I've run there enough to know that their officiating is inconsistent. One week, depending on who you are, you might pull a trick such as was pulled on you, and get away with it. The next week, you do the same thing, and they put you to the back. I guess if you run enough races there, and they consider you a regular, they treat you different, though not well!

I was at this race, and saw the incident. Why they didn't put the car that spun you to the back (along with you), is beyond me.

You run well, facing long odds, in the Ford. I applaud your efforts.

Another racer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

The Wizzard wrote:
I wonder if 1080 has an explanation for this?... :thinking2:

psn tag: thefurb1593

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:36 pm 
Just my opinion,but we have been to race tracks in West Virginia,in Syracuse N.Y.to Maryland, and all over Pa. and the best food to BE found is Port Royal. Selinsgrove has second. We don`t attend every Sat. night but we often run over for a guick sandwich or fries .What happened to you during the pro stock race was not right, but in the same sentence the 11 car did what he had to to stay ahead of the 27. What you fail to realize is you were going for a spin it was just who was going to move you out of the way. If the 11 car hadn`t done it !The 27 was fixin to take you both. So just for future reference Lead -Follow or Get Out OF THE WAY.Everyone is just sick of seeing the 27 in victory lane.But there again who helped sponsor the money race. The 27 owner so of course he gets away with rough riding SO if its ok for one.At Port the remember The First RULE IS-THERE ARE NO RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also don`try BRINGING the church stand in to your Saturday night discussion, it is only open Fair week, Its for that week only, and besides who has time to sit down for a meal.?

But know that as for the officials,their lack of knowing how to run a racetrack you are RIGHT ON THE MONEY.Port needs a business man to take the lead at that place, someone who knows that place can make a profit,basically it`s a business and should be run as one!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:47 pm 
now we are getting close to as why the oip is closed, 25%? :whistle:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:07 pm 
Port Rpyal Speedway wanted to much money, till the employes where paid,food purchased ect. to operate plus pay the speedway their exterme amount, he decided not to open. Now that the race crowd knows the OIP isnt open- They just stop before the races to eat.
The only looser here is the race track.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:54 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Fousty wrote:
Thanks for the post on letting some folks know what happened to me....I am the guy who runs that Ford that was leading on the last lap.I took a screwing,no doubt about it,first from the guy who spun me out and 2nd.,from the "Little Boy" who is the track president that sent me to the rear.If it would have been any other track other than Port Royal,I would have been put back where I was and the the dirty driver would have been put to the rear.

Neil:

I do not know anything about this whole thread, but I caught your post and just wanted to share a thought with you. I grew up at Silver Spring and later became an official there and now I'm at Williams Grove and I just wanted tp let you know that Silver spring nor Williams Grove ever put a spun driver back to their posistion! We had the same thing happen this past saturday in our 4 cyl division. With a couple of laps to go the second place car got into the leader and the leader spun out. We felt it could have been avoided so we sent the second place car to the rear, then the car that was leading tried to get his spot back but unfortunetly he spun and stopped and any car that stops must go to the rear, so he went to the rear also. So you can't say any other track would have gave you your spot back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:07 pm 
We would like to set some facts straight.

Kids' Night was last Saturday, July 12. Aumiller did not donate any money or prizes. We also had a sandwich sale as a fundraiser and Foust's wife, owner of Rhonda's Country Cookin', refused to buy any sandwiches because she was not asked to make them. Talk about being childish!

As for the bathrooms, they are very nice and were in definite need of being repaired. We greatly appreciate what Aumiller and his crew did. However, they are not completed yet, and there are some problems that need fixed. The ladies' room attendant has to carry a bucket full of water in order for the one toilet to flush. The stonework on the front has not been done either. We have no problem with him wanting to do the lights, but we would like the first job completed before starting another big project. He has started the lights as you could see on Saturday, and they did make a big difference.

As for the Renninger contract, we as a board have the right to vote and decide on whom gets the contract. The Renninger's got the contract. The board voted on $600 or 25%, whichever is greater. The Renninger's have the right to decide who gets to open.

As for the racing part, not everything can be blamed on the president. We have officials around the track. The decision was agreed upon by several officials. Not just one person makes a call.

The finances at Port Royal are much better than in the Graybill era. We are definitely not skimming off the top. Have you seen the economy lately? We can only do so much when we are trying to pull ourselves out of a hole from previous members' mistakes (over 10 years ago).

If you have any questions or complaints, try going to the president or other members in a calm manner. Yelling and screaming usually does not get a person anywhere. Also, know your facts before you start badmouthing! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 pm 
FYI - PRS has just purchashed some more lights from Justin at Williams Grove Speedway. :D

Neil - Don't hide behind words on the message board. Did you talk to Tommy face to face? If not, try to talk to him in a calm manner Saturday night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 pm 
Legend
Legend

I don't know who you are PRS member. But they were two well written posts. :thumbleft:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:17 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

:buttkick:

PORT ROYAL 1
Laurens County 4
Charlotte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

:popcorn:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Kevin Quirk Custom Signs
Race Graphics / Signs / Decals / Lettering
We wrap race cars . helmets . vehicles
http://www.kevinquirk.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

:girlfight:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:52 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

This is a worthless thread. It is clear you are someone with a "axe to grind" due to you misfortune in the race. Instead of focusing just on the race, you took it to a personal matter. When in fact, a true race office from Williams Grove stated:

It was the right call

Now, the personal attacks continue even though your main gripe was thrown out the window.

:chatterbox:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:14 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I don't think the place is making big bucks. As brent said once, you have to remember that the money goes to the maintenance of all grounds just not the race track. There are many nights that the tracks takes a bath early in the season. I don't have specific information but the overhead costs to operate a track must be enormous.

Let's say they have 2,000 at $15 general admission, 240 people pits at $20. That is $34,800 gross.

rough estimates on costs;
*amusement tax gets $3,000 right off the bat.
*Competitor payouts (my guess) estimates; sprints, late models and pro stocks for a total of $22k
*Oh, what about insurance....do we need that ovium??? $2.5k per race estimate (prolly higher)

Total = $27,500

Ok, now let's stop for a minute..... to break-even on amusement tax, purse and insurance, they have to sell 1,513 adult general admission and 240 pit passes = $27,495 gross revenue....How many nights are there less than 1,500 people. I would say a good many.

Other operating costs include; track preparation, equipment fuel, operating staff (oh, yes people should be paid for there time working at the track), electricity, water, sewer, garbage, maintenance, fire and rescue staffing. I am sure I missed something. Then, there is the overall grounds maintenance that is an additional expense as opposed to a normal track.