McKean County and Winchester questions?

Discuss Miscellaneous Fendered Car Racing
Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

McKean County and Winchester questions?

Post by Shuey21 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Im making the tow to either Winchester or McKean Saturday for the first time. How's the seating? Food? Seen the Yoders, Bard, and Kann are heading to McKean but most of the big dogs will be at Winchester.
2015 Count: 50

2016: 20
Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

pajamie
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Re: McKean County and Winchester questions?

Post by pajamie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Just save your time and head to McKean Co.. If we hadn't gotten busted up at Natural Bridge this past weekend we would have made the tow as well..

Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by Shuey21 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:45 pm

pajamie wrote:Just save your time and head to McKean Co.. If we hadn't gotten busted up at Natural Bridge this past weekend we would have made the tow as well..
Both tracks are exactly 2 hours and 59 minutes away :laughing7: I know the Blairs run McKean maybe Fuller too. Briggs won this race last year.

Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

pajamie
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by pajamie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:18 pm

just giving ya a heads up.. Personally.. I would go to McKean.. Been to Winchester a few times this season and know what the track was like...

Ted
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by Ted » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:10 am

Wouldn't waste my time with either last couple times I was at mckean the surface was horrible the first couple times in 04-07 it was awesome they used to put a barrel of borax soap in the water and the track got slick and smooth never ate tires up almost made the track like wax. It's on a old fair grounds the original track was bigger if you go in the pits you can see how much bigger it is get there early if you go they'll pack the place not sure how your going up but route 6 will shake your teeth out. Winchester the last couple years hasn't been great either follow the leader get in the bottom follow each other around pretty much who starts 2nds going to win all about starting position not a lot of track Prep the grader was broken for the 200 not that it mattered anyway a 2 years ago when it was fast and they were close to breaking the track record every night the racing was awesome. Just my 2 cents
Miller time turned to Schlitz time!.
12 out of last 16

psn tag: thefurb1593

pajamie
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by pajamie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 am

Winchester already cancelled tomorrow nights race...

wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wentworth09w » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Winchester is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. They do need to do a lot of work on that surface, but I've still seen some very exciting races there this season. The show just running Saturday should be a good one. Most of the big drivers from this area will be there as opposed to McKean.

If it were me I would flip a coin, they will both be great shows. The tipping point is probably the amount of racing at McKean.

I love the E Mods, then the big Crate race, and also 360 Late Models.

Thanks,
Jeff.

pajamie
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by pajamie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Don't really agree with the drivers statement but the rest pretty much is the truth..

Ted
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by Ted » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:12 pm

man I must of been to the wrong winchester this year the 10 races I've been too it's been all aboard the one lane train oh wait bench racers know way more than anyone else
Miller time turned to Schlitz time!.
12 out of last 16

psn tag: thefurb1593

Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by Shuey21 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Chose McKean and the track sucked 1 lane around the bottom. But better than sitting at home.

Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

VA Mudslinger
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Post by VA Mudslinger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Winchester was good this past Saturday. Hammer down and a great battle at the end between Anderson and Covert
Follow @LiveDirtUpdates for live updates fom the area and national events

wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wentworth09w » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Ted wrote:man I must of been to the wrong winchester this year the 10 races I've been too it's been all aboard the one lane train oh wait bench racers know way more than anyone else
So wait, because you what.. play rFactor.. you are suddenly more qualified to judge whether the race that I watch is good or not? I would highly doubt that you are any more qualified than I am to judge the quality of a race. I spent years working on an asphalt late model team, and have spent years working at race tracks in the North East, and Dirt Tracks in the Mid West. I've been in the drivers seat more than a few times on both Asphalt and Dirt whether it be for a practice, or race. Does any of that qualify me to tell you whether or not you had a good time at the track? NOPE. So even if you are a 25 time World 100 winner (in rfactor or in real life...) you have absolutely no ability to tell me that a race I saw wasn't good.

I've been to 8 races at Winchester so far this season, there have been a few boring races (WoO race) and a few exciting ones (This week is a good example of those). I can tell you though I never leave the track disappointed. If the SLM race wasn't spectacular, the Crates, or Pure Stocks more than made up for it.

Lastly, there is nothing I consider more downright IGNORANT or detrimental to this sport than the mind set of some clearly very ignorant drivers, fans, crew members or whoever else has regarding fans. The fact that the term bench racers exists is bad enough, but the fact that it is so widely used is even worse. You do understand that without "bench racers" this sport will not be here. There is no way a track will stay open so that people can race $80,000 un-sponsored race cars around an un-sponsored track with zero people in the stands. Those bench racers are the single most important piece of motor sports. The cars, drivers, owners, sanctioning bodies, tracks and everything else is entirely useless without them.

In closing, please stop wasting the bandwidth of this site with your completely useless posts. If you have something constructive to add then by all means do so. But if you are just going to continue to trash race tracks, and race fans then I don't think this is the sport for you.

Thanks,
Jeff.

wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wentworth09w » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 pm

pajamie wrote:Don't really agree with the drivers statement but the rest pretty much is the truth..
Well my thinking on the drivers statement is the bigger drivers from the Hagerstown, Winchester, Potomac, Port, Selinsgrove area. Those drivers would be Covert, Lathroum, Frye, Kann, Dylan Yoder, JT Spence, Kenny Moreland, Kyle Hardy, Kenny and Mark Pettyjohn, Satterlee, Stone, Keith Jackson, Stuhler, Lupfer, Rine, Eckert, etc.

Of those the majority landed at Winchester (bold), although some did go to McKean (italics)

I think the stronger field was at McKean, but the majority of the strong drivers came from the W. PA area (Miley, Blair, Briggs, Frank, Knight, Johnson, Eck, etc.)

Thanks,
Jeff.

DavidM
Legend
Legend

Post by DavidM » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:45 am

wentworth09w kind of OT, but the team you worked with did they ever race a Old Dominion Speedway in VA?
If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do" Warren Miller

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wentworth09w » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 pm

DavidM wrote:wentworth09w kind of OT, but the team you worked with did they ever race a Old Dominion Speedway in VA?
Unfortunately no, we used to run a bunch of the ACT tour races, and weekly at Lee USA Speedway in NH, and at Wiscasset Speedway (used to be Raceway) in Maine. We ran a couple of Oxford 250's also.

I used to work for Super Late Model team for about half a season at Seekonk Speedway in MA as well, and a Midwest Modified on dirt in North Dakota for the 2012 season.