Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Discuss Miscellaneous Fendered Car Racing
User avatar
hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4714
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm
Location: 704 Houser St.

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by hotrodney » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Warthog wrote:
Shuey21 wrote:
No Rookie wrote:This is my opinion.... There are a few local tracks that could be hurting for car counts in the future because of their
failure to support and promote Late Model racing. If you look at the ages of their core group of drivers they are getting
up there. Nothing much has been done to draw new talent to the division. I do commend some of the tracks for bringing
in a additional Late Model feeder type division to boost interest in the division (super).
:thinking: Every local track around here supports the Late Models well.
He specified Supers, not 358s/Sportsman/Limited Late Models. I don't think the Grove's token one Friday night SLM race per year (assuming no rain out) counts as heavy support for Supers, and Lincoln isn't too much better. Port has the Supers as a co-headline division with the 410s, but other than that, Hagerstown, Winchester and Potomac seem to be the main support for Supers.

One can debate it, but I do think there's a case to be made that the progression for a young driver in open wheel is much better supported in this area (karts, micros, 358s or Super Sportsman, then 410s) than the growth path for fendered racing. A young driver who wants to always have options of places to race as he or she rises through the levels of both skill and investment has much better choices going with open wheel racing.

Will that lead to an eventual lack of SLM competitors at some of the local tracks? I'm not sure that I'd go that far. But it could.
Port has super LM's as co-headliner to the 410's? Give me some of what you're smoking! They are a distant second. I must admit the new econo -late division is a nice feeder but Selinsgrove has more higher paying SLM races than Port does by far in the mid-state area.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

User avatar
Sprint 76
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Sprint 76 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:12 pm

We're fortunate to have 2 Saturday night tracks in central PA that both have consistently excellent surfaces for the SLMs. As far as 410s vs SLM, you can't fault a track for favoring the 410's when that's what the majority of fans in this area want to see. Keep giving us great surfaces to race on, and slowly but surely the fans will learn where the "real" racing is at :D

User avatar
wentworth09w
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:54 am
Location: Littlestown, PA

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by wentworth09w » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:54 am

As someone else said, the main support for the LM division takes place at Hagerstown, Potomac, Winchester, Bedford and West. Selinsgrove and Port run Late Models which I am very thankful for but you certainly don't get the same feeling watching them at those tracks as you do at a track where they are the division of choice. Port and Selinsgrove have some good drivers but I think the majority of the "Heavy Hitters" in the area tend to run where they are the featured division. I would say from going to Port a few times that the SLM is not a co-headliner there. I think they provide just as good if not better racing than the 410's on most nights but in the end the fans pay the ticket price to see the 410's. I can't fault them for that although I can safely say I would not set foot in that track if not for the SLMs.

I spoke with someone about the 355 division at the York car show. From what I heard they are planning to transition that division to a Crate LM division. They allow the 355's as of now because many of the Pro Stock drivers had those motors. I think transitioning to a Crate LM division would be the best thing for the Late Models at Port. You will get many outside drivers, potentially a RUSH touring series race and of course a great feeder division for the Late Models.

The only questions is, do you go Rush/NeSmith or FASTRAK?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Warthog
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Warthog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:30 pm

hotrodney wrote:
Warthog wrote: He specified Supers, not 358s/Sportsman/Limited Late Models. I don't think the Grove's token one Friday night SLM race per year (assuming no rain out) counts as heavy support for Supers, and Lincoln isn't too much better. Port has the Supers as a co-headline division with the 410s, but other than that, Hagerstown, Winchester and Potomac seem to be the main support for Supers.

One can debate it, but I do think there's a case to be made that the progression for a young driver in open wheel is much better supported in this area (karts, micros, 358s or Super Sportsman, then 410s) than the growth path for fendered racing. A young driver who wants to always have options of places to race as he or she rises through the levels of both skill and investment has much better choices going with open wheel racing.

Will that lead to an eventual lack of SLM competitors at some of the local tracks? I'm not sure that I'd go that far. But it could.
Port has super LM's as co-headliner to the 410's? Give me some of what you're smoking! They are a distant second. I must admit the new econo -late division is a nice feeder but Selinsgrove has more higher paying SLM races than Port does by far in the mid-state area.
To explain my comment, in a prior thread last year, I posted asking if any local track had ever tried running SLMs and 410s as co-headliners, indicating at the time that I wasn't aware of any. I got vehement responses saying in essence that I was an idiot and that Port does it.

I live south of Baltimore and I think I've been to Port once - maybe twice. I'm just going with how at least some of the Port fans on these boards told me I should characterize their shows. Seemed to me like a 410-focused track that happened to also run SLMs when I was there, but what do I know?
Q: How is Central PA different from the Old West?
A: In Central PA, the Outlaws try to catch The Posse!

User avatar
Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Shuey21 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Sprint 76 wrote:We're fortunate to have 2 Saturday night tracks in central PA that both have consistently excellent surfaces for the SLMs. As far as 410s vs SLM, you can't fault a track for favoring the 410's when that's what the majority of fans in this area want to see. Keep giving us great surfaces to race on, and slowly but surely the fans will learn where the "real" racing is at :D
I used to be all about Sprints, but now I like both equally they both put on a hell of a show :thumbright:
2015 Count: 50

2016: 20
Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

User avatar
hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4714
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm
Location: 704 Houser St.

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by hotrodney » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Warthog wrote:
hotrodney wrote:
Warthog wrote: He specified Supers, not 358s/Sportsman/Limited Late Models. I don't think the Grove's token one Friday night SLM race per year (assuming no rain out) counts as heavy support for Supers, and Lincoln isn't too much better. Port has the Supers as a co-headline division with the 410s, but other than that, Hagerstown, Winchester and Potomac seem to be the main support for Supers.

One can debate it, but I do think there's a case to be made that the progression for a young driver in open wheel is much better supported in this area (karts, micros, 358s or Super Sportsman, then 410s) than the growth path for fendered racing. A young driver who wants to always have options of places to race as he or she rises through the levels of both skill and investment has much better choices going with open wheel racing.

Will that lead to an eventual lack of SLM competitors at some of the local tracks? I'm not sure that I'd go that far. But it could.
Port has super LM's as co-headliner to the 410's? Give me some of what you're smoking! They are a distant second. I must admit the new econo -late division is a nice feeder but Selinsgrove has more higher paying SLM races than Port does by far in the mid-state area.
To explain my comment, in a prior thread last year, I posted asking if any local track had ever tried running SLMs and 410s as co-headliners, indicating at the time that I wasn't aware of any. I got vehement responses saying in essence that I was an idiot and that Port does it.

I live south of Baltimore and I think I've been to Port once - maybe twice. I'm just going with how at least some of the Port fans on these boards told me I should characterize their shows. Seemed to me like a 410-focused track that happened to also run SLMs when I was there, but what do I know?
OK, I see what you're saying. Both classes can be considered headliners depending on location but any track I know of anywhere in the country that runs 410's, considers that their headliner division. No "co" 's about it. LOL. Port does have a few shows where the SLM's are the headliner and no doubt they put on a good show every week, but 410's are the bread and butter. The fair opener with the Renninger Memorial for LM's plus 410 sprints is becoming one of my favorite shows. Sometimes at Selinsgrove, I wonder if the pro-stocks aren't the headliner since they run them first almost every week.

The closest thing I can think of where the SLM's and 410 sprints shared the spotlight was when Lernerville used to have the "night the stars come out" which was All-star sprints and All-star LM's on the same night. What a great show that was, great track too!
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

User avatar
hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4714
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:44 pm
Location: 704 Houser St.

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by hotrodney » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:22 pm

Shuey21 wrote:
Sprint 76 wrote:We're fortunate to have 2 Saturday night tracks in central PA that both have consistently excellent surfaces for the SLMs. As far as 410s vs SLM, you can't fault a track for favoring the 410's when that's what the majority of fans in this area want to see. Keep giving us great surfaces to race on, and slowly but surely the fans will learn where the "real" racing is at :D
I used to be all about Sprints, but now I like both equally they both put on a hell of a show :thumbright:
Right on! I love me a good 2 division show, whether it's 410's, 360's, 358's, SLM's, LLM's, Super sportsmen, Big block or 358 mods, midgets on a smaller track. A good 3 division show is when the PST is at Woodhull, NY along with the 360 mods and 360 LM's on a wide, high-banked 1/3 paper clip. Worth the drive up Rt. 15.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

Ted
Crew Member
Crew Member
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: some dirt track somewhere

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Ted » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:30 am

Pump the brakes kids pump the brakes kids http://raceproweekly.com/cms/index.php? ... s&Itemid=2
Miller time turned to Schlitz time!.
12 out of last 16

psn tag: thefurb1593

longtimefan
Crew Member
Crew Member
Posts: 1493
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:12 am

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by longtimefan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Looks like they are treating Port and Selinsgrove pretty equally.

User avatar
Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench
Posts: 1989
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:03 am

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Scott Harro » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:20 am

Bernheisel Racing Components has signed on to sponsor the August 22nd event at Selinsgrove Speedway with a Superior Products night. BRC will also be sponsoring the Late Model Hard Charger award at Selingrove in 2015. Info can be found at http://www.SelinsgroveSpeedway.com and more details will be announced as they become available.
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

Ted
Crew Member
Crew Member
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: some dirt track somewhere

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Ted » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:54 am

So much for the bad news for selinsgrove lmao Jump up and down on the panic button some more please :buttkick:
Miller time turned to Schlitz time!.
12 out of last 16

psn tag: thefurb1593

User avatar
Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Shuey21 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:09 am

Ted wrote:So much for the bad news for selinsgrove lmao Jump up and down on the panic button some more please :buttkick:
:laughing7:
2015 Count: 50

2016: 20
Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1

User avatar
Brice_176
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 am

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by Brice_176 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:53 am

Three Wide & New Bomb Turk is the same person. . .

User avatar
three wide
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Re: Bad news for Selinsgrove.

Post by three wide » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 am

Brice_176 wrote:Three Wide & New Bomb Turk is the same person. . .
NOPE !!! :thehand: i have no idea who Newbomb is .

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 9 guests