Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 pm
Posts: 113
as a driver i wear a sfi 5 2 layer nomex suit along with new carbon x underwear,socks and head sock. i purchased a new bell gtx 2 helmet and use 1 year old racing shoes and gloves. i keep a spare suit(sfi 5 2 layer), helmet, underware shoes and gloves in the trailer. i also purchased a new kirkey full adjustable full containment seat because i did not want to mount my other seat in the new car. i wear a hans device witch is held in place with simpson 5 piece belts and refuse to run a car without a halo system in place. as for my racecar i could have used the money i spent on safety equipment to upgrade my program but i would rather make sure that my wife and 4 kids still have me coming home from the track. we all have the choice as to how we wanna play this game and every so many years the game shows us just how serious this can be. the loss of any racecar driver is a tragedy but if we can learn how to keep ourselves safer then their death was not a total loss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Mechanicsbug, Pa
ziggy196 wrote:
as a driver i wear a sfi 5 2 layer nomex suit along with new carbon x underwear,socks and head sock. i purchased a new bell gtx 2 helmet and use 1 year old racing shoes and gloves. i keep a spare suit(sfi 5 2 layer), helmet, underware shoes and gloves in the trailer. i also purchased a new kirkey full adjustable full containment seat because i did not want to mount my other seat in the new car. i wear a hans device witch is held in place with simpson 5 piece belts and refuse to run a car without a halo system in place. as for my racecar i could have used the money i spent on safety equipment to upgrade my program but i would rather make sure that my wife and 4 kids still have me coming home from the track. we all have the choice as to how we wanna play this game and every so many years the game shows us just how serious this can be. the loss of any racecar driver is a tragedy but if we can learn how to keep ourselves safer then their death was not a total loss.



Thanks for posting. :clap: :clap:

_________________
http://awarenessspeedwayslotcarclub.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ASSCC1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 am 
Offline
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:04 am
Posts: 6358
Location: DOVER
sprintwrench46 wrote:
Two things I see so much that just amazes me is drivers with no head sock on and drivers not latching their shield. I can't count the number of pictures I've see of a car flipping and the drivers shield is wide open because it wasn't latched. Anything from parts, mud or even fire can damage the eyes and the no sock deal is just stupid. It doesn't take much fire to burn through your neck and once that happends your chances of surviving is slim to none. So crew members, get on your drivers a$$ to wear that sock and latch that shield before they hit the track. And thanks for the SFI charts ZZ.


Pretty simple stuff to make your risk factor a whole lot less.. :thumbleft:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:44 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Mechanicsbug, Pa
sprintwrench46 wrote:
Two things I see so much that just amazes me is drivers with no head sock on and drivers not latching their shield. I can't count the number of pictures I've see of a car flipping and the drivers shield is wide open because it wasn't latched. Anything from parts, mud or even fire can damage the eyes and the no sock deal is just stupid. It doesn't take much fire to burn through your neck and once that happends your chances of surviving is slim to none. So crew members, get on your drivers a$$ to wear that sock and latch that shield before they hit the track. And thanks for the SFI charts ZZ.



I agree.

_________________
http://awarenessspeedwayslotcarclub.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ASSCC1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Mechanicsbug, Pa
Time to bring this back up to the top. Sorry to hear a driver was burned a couple weeks ago in a 600 modified :ahhh: :ahhh: .

_________________
http://awarenessspeedwayslotcarclub.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ASSCC1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:48 am
Posts: 146
Location: victory lane
Was at susky this year for wed night test & tune. Only saw two safety guys in infield with fire extinquishers. Very sad to see this. If they can't\don't want to pay for the full compliment of safety guys, they could of asked the teams if they had any volunteers to man the corners. Certainly not the answer, but hasn't all track owners heard about doug wolfgangs fire? I'm sure he would have loved to have had 6 more people with fire extinquishers, paid or not. Tracks should have at a minimum of 1 guy in each corner and one on the center of each straightaway. They also should wear white or flouro green, yellow... some very bright color for their safety and so as a driver makes slow laps, he can clearly know where to stop in a fire.

_________________
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence for ourselves to be sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie

Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:41 pm
Posts: 75
one thing I do that I would recommend to all drivers is anytime you change anything with your safety equipment, be it a new neck support, or new seat, or even a new car, practice getting out of the car as fast you as you can with your eyes closed. this will help prepare you for if you are in a fire and need out in a hurry, it will show you were the trouble spots may be, such as getting things caught on roll bars.

_________________
http://walkermotorsports.webs.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:44 pm
Posts: 4518
Location: 704 Houser St.
I wonder what the drivers opinions would be on arm retsraints, window nets, rock screens and head and neck restraints. Are they an important piece of safety gear or could they be a hindrance if you need to get out of the car quickly(fire)? I'm all for safety but I wonder sometimes if more is better or worse. My racing experince is limited to 1 year in go-karts but I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything that severely restricted my body movements or view.

_________________
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:53 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm
Posts: 4972
Location: Ellicott City
Anyone questing arm restraints needs to watch this video. Warning very graphic and the driver (Mack McClellan) was injuried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfxJ0ASUkg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:03 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Mechanicsbug, Pa
Just glad AO is going to be ok. But its time to bump up again so someone might find and upgrade safety equipment. Just glad fuel cell came off car so the fire wasn't as bad as it could of been. Arm restraints ?

_________________
http://awarenessspeedwayslotcarclub.weebly.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ASSCC1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 111
Im going to start racing 358s soon hopefully practice this year but I sat here and talked to my parents tonight about racing safety. I have a top of the line suit thanks to hinchman best suit i could ask for the cost was high but my safety is my number one priority in racing, even though i have a rated 15 suit im gonna still wear under nomex the more protection the better. I made sure to get a good helmet as well. As well as a top of the line butler built seat. Many people said go ahead and practice with only a neck collar and i said no i wouldnt do that i will not test UNTIL i purchase a Hybrid device. Yes im excited to go race but my safety must come first.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:05 pm 
Offline
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:14 pm
Posts: 14416
Location: PA POSSE Country
cappetta89 wrote:
Im going to start racing 358s soon hopefully practice this year but I sat here and talked to my parents tonight about racing safety. I have a top of the line suit thanks to hinchman best suit i could ask for the cost was high but my safety is my number one priority in racing, even though i have a rated 15 suit im gonna still wear under nomex the more protection the better. I made sure to get a good helmet as well. As well as a top of the line butler built seat. Many people said go ahead and practice with only a neck collar and i said no i wouldnt do that i will not test UNTIL i purchase a Hybrid device. Yes im excited to go race but my safety must come first.


SMART move! :thumbright:

_________________
Central PA - Home of the PA POSSE and the Best Dirt Track Racin' in America!

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:08 pm 
Offline
Pit Member
Pit Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 815
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45
zipzap wrote:
Just glad AO is going to be ok. But its time to bump up again so someone might find and upgrade safety equipment. Just glad fuel cell came off car so the fire wasn't as bad as it could of been. Arm restraints ?



It amazes me that he even still has arms the way they were hanging out of the car the way they were, and I'm sure arm restraints would have kept them inside the frame better...

As far as he head though??? I've heard lots of comments about the extra halo bars across the top of the frame... I've heard that yes it would have kept him in the car better so he wasn't hanging out, however with the way that the frame crushed it could have made his neck injury's worse...

My question to everyone is one that I know I've heard of before on different topics... Yes arm restraints, extra bars across the top of the frame, neck restraint systems, etc, are all great for the wreck itself and for the most part reduce injury... But from an extracation stand point, specifically an emergency extracation (like a car sitting on top of fireworks), how much is too much????

I know it's half a dozen of one six of the other...

_________________
All "FOUR" Fun!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:12 am 
Offline
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 253
if you think an extra bar across the top of the frame is bad for extracting the driver...go sit a fendered car sometime. those cars have bars all over the place..heck they even have a roof preventing the driver from being extracted. I don't think I've ever heard of a driver not being extracted fast enough from a fendered car....so if they can get out of one of those alright, then gettin out of a sprinter should be alright as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:05 pm 
Offline
Pit Member
Pit Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 815
Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45
I agree 100% that there is the same issue with fendered cars, and yes I have spent time in a street stock (and hopefully will again soon). I have the same concern for them as I do the open wheelers... I know I'm :deadhorse: with this comment, but at what point do track owners look at track safety for the drivers before they end up so strapped in they can't even reach a tear-off on their helmet?

_________________
All "FOUR" Fun!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group