Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: ? for all drivers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

JTR13 wrote:
I know I'm :deadhorse: with this comment, but at what point do track owners look at track safety for the drivers before they end up so strapped in they can't even reach a tear-off on their helmet?

I think thats why race tracks do not make safety equipment a requirment...they only suggest you use it. The rules for williams grove state "Suggested Safety Equipment", not "Mandatory". As soon as a track says you have to use a certain safety device..someone will get hurt because of the safety device and sue the track for making them use it. Its just a legal thing for the tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Location: Friday- Grove infield Turn 3 Saturday- Susky infield pitstall #45
I understand, I mean I'm sure there is ways around that even if only with the old saying "compete at your own risk", but what I mean is safety improvements to the facility it self... I know that there is nothing that can really stop a sprint car from rolling once they lose their down force, and yes Arron's and even in Kahne's sake, a safer barrier type wall or something wouldn't have helped since they were both airborne so high...

I don't know, I'm probably just talkling out my you know what, just worries me that for some reason there has been a lot more major injuries this year then normal...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Bump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I am curious as to what the drivers sign as far as a waiver of liability. In AO's case where it could have been tragic had there been a fire and explosions, what recourse could they have for damages and medical bills for something seen as negligence on part of the track (IMO). Does the form basically say "If you die, don't blame us"?

Also wondering if there is a set of standards from any governing body that states, suggests, or recommends safety items such as height of catch fences, number of manned fire extinguishers, ambulances on hand, CPR and first aid qualified personnel, storage and handling of flammable materials, etc.

I know a lot drivers want to know what a track pays to win, but do any ask the track what do they have to keep the driver alive at the end of the night?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 am 
Legend
Legend

Doesn't really matter what you sign if you can prove it was negligence. That has been proven before, and by the way it was not a bad thing as many want to believe. It has brought imrovements to many fire crews for the tracks to cover their a$$ and that is all good..Even though they should you know drivers don't inspect track equipment to be up to their safety standards before they race there, and maybe they shouldn't have to. Does their resposibility stop with their own equipment and the rest is up to the track. If a track thinks what you sign is good as gold they are running on luck, they know that hence the expensive insurance. That paper does carry weight to a point, but not if you can prove negligence in a jury's eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:07 am 
Legend
Legend

I watched a car burn for over 25 minutes at one local track because they only had a couple fire bottles. They used up what they had in about two minutes and the car sat in the turn and burned until the local fire department arrived and put it out. I'd hate to think how horrible it would have been if the driver would not have been able to get out on his own!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 am 
Rookie
Rookie

:D :D :jiggy:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:31 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

When I was on Dave Cordier Jr's 410 crew he had that flash oil fire at Williams Grove. The fire was very quick but quite intense. In that short time his gloves melted into the steering wheel. He received other burns to various areas of his body. He had a very good suit and underwear but the intensity of the fire plus struggling to release himself from the steering wheel led to the injuries.

I remember the firesuit company wanted his uniform so they could study how the fire charred the suit. Anyone that does not wear the good firesuits is playing with danger. In that short time a lot can happen and happen very badly. Steve Bubb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 am 
Legend
Legend

RT88, I still find it amazing that guys race without gloves still.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 am 
Legend
Legend

I was at Hershey watching the big screen the day Eddie Sachs was killed at Indy, I was there the night Steve Howard lost his life also along with numerous fires I have witnessed. It is just a bad, bad, sick feeling right in the pit of your stomach when you see a driver stuck in a fire and no one can get to them. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:12 pm 
Legend
Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9h4eA_Y ... creen&NR=1
got to 8:03 for a wicked one.
ps.....turn the sound off if the kiddies are still up :bdf:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:54 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

DavidM wrote:
I watched a car burn for over 25 minutes at one local track because they only had a couple fire bottles. They used up what they had in about two minutes and the car sat in the turn and burned until the local fire department arrived and put it out. I'd hate to think how horrible it would have been if the driver would not have been able to get out on his own!

I seen a similar situation at Cannonball Speedway last year...Logan S. was racing with the All Stars and his brake rotar flew apart and went through the fuel cell and erupted in flames. Logan BARELY got out of that car before it would have got bad. The fire crew stood there and struggled trying to figure out how to use the equipment. Someone without a firesuit actually helped Logan out of the car. Even after he got out the car sat and burned until the tires blew...At that time the fire crew finally figured out how to use the equipment they had on hand.

My point - Tracks might have the correct tools but your crew needs to know how to use them!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I wear a two layer 3.2/5, sometimes with undies, but not always.

HANS devices were designed to prevent basal skull fractures (what killed DE, Adam Petty, and a few others). Basal skull fractures start to become an issue at speeds of 140 mph and higher. My enduro car and 24 Hour of Lemons car will never reach those speeds (without the help of a tornado).

I do run a window net, and would even if they were not required. Yes, arm restraints will keep your arms in, but a window net also keeps other objects out. Now that is a different story for a sprint car. The window nets should always have a spring loaded rod, not a seat belt buckle. Buckles can jam, and you might not find the button quickly. You can always find the top rod and pull.

I am amazed when I watch in-car footage of Lucas Oil LM races and see some of the biggest names in the series running without gloves.

Speaking of gloves, how many drivers take their gloves off as the first thing they do when getting out? It should be the last thing you do, until you know you can get out and there is no fire.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for responding. :yessss: :yessss: