Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: strangest on track event
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

what is the strangest on track occurrence you have witnessed? for me it was at port royal in the mid to alte 80s when one of the chitwood boys rented a stroup car for the night and trashed it in turns 1nd 2 in time trials i beleive. any one else remember this? what strange things have you seen?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I remember that well! I was standing in turn 2 that day! Also it is on Lynn Shaffers thunder in the mountain!

I'll give you one. Tim Kuhn at Susky one sunday night flipped in turns 1 and 2. Tim's car was put back on its wheels and he drove away! Drove around 3 and 4, got in the throttle hard down the frontstretch and flipped hard out over turn 1, while still under the first red!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:18 pm 
Legend
Legend

A street stocker at Selinsgrove that use to haul a mannequin w/ a blonde wig on around in the race car
I think his name was Ralph Cramden

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:27 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

rudedog wrote:
what is the strangest on track occurrence you have witnessed? for me it was at port royal in the mid to alte 80s when one of the chitwood boys rented a stroup car for the night and trashed it in turns 1nd 2 in time trials i beleive. any one else remember this? what strange things have you seen?

His name was Chitwood but he wasn't one of them Chitwoods. He supposedly did drive a sprint car before that night. He told Rod the last time he ran one he passed Steve Kinser....while flipping somewhere. The only thing that wasn't hurt was the motor, everything else was junk.

PORT ROYAL 1
Laurens County 4
Charlotte

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:21 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

bmotb wrote:
I remember that well! I was standing in turn 2 that day! Also it is on Lynn Shaffers thunder in the mountain!

I'll give you one. Tim Kuhn at Susky one sunday night flipped in turns 1 and 2. Tim's car was put back on its wheels and he drove away! Drove around 3 and 4, got in the throttle hard down the frontstretch and flipped hard out over turn 1, while still under the first red!!!!!

I remember that one on Tim Kuhn and was going to post it too. I remember the wing started to come apart and just as he turned into one the right front dug in and he went for one heck of a ride!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:46 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

This wouldve been something to talk about if witnessed in person!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf6OnaO6HAI

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:56 am 
Racer
Racer

Port Royal a few years ago. It was the Night before the 50 the lights went out at the drop of the green flag. :doh:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:48 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michael Root wrote:
That was in the 90's. Nickname: "The Weedman"!

Yeah he had "weedman" in tape letters on the side of the cockpit of Rod Stroup's 21. He was a member of Frankie Kerr's pitcrew. Weedman flipped hard during TT's if I remember correctly(it was an all-star show).

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:53 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SLINKMASTERC wrote:
Port Royal a few years ago. It was the Night before the 50 the lights went out at the drop of the green flag. :doh:

I remember that one. The lights went out at the start of the B main and you could here the cars flipping down the frontstretch but couldn't see what was happening, very eerie.

I also remember the fog out of an all-star race at Port Royal in the 90's.

A lot of strange things seem to happen at Port. :laughing7:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:58 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

bmotb wrote:

My dad tells me a story about Mitch Smith flipping out over the guardrail at Selinsgrove back in the 60's or 70's. The car landed on all 4's and he drove it back through the entrance onto the track, restarted at the rear and won the race.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:25 pm 
Legend
Legend

I remember back in the early 80's Rick Hersh went straight through the turn 3&4 guardrail at Lincoln, went straight down the banking, and drove back through the old thundercar pits and right back onto the race track.

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:09 pm 
Legend
Legend

Michael Root wrote:
We were at Grandview in the mid 90's and the lights went out as well. There was a hell of a thunderstorm. Thankfully the yellow was out at the time for Todd Shaffer.

you could see the lighting in the northern horizon all night....came in fast, the lights went out and we were in the pit stands....people were getting knocked down and run over trying to get out.....it was a mess.

another memorable evening was andy belmont going over the fence in the first turn at the old nazareth 1/2 mile.....thru the metal catch fence....down the hill and landing on RT191.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:37 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

for me,it was the night Larry Jackson flipped on the start,or at least early in the race,nevermind that i was a LJ hater,cuz he,what seemed like,won all the time.anyway,he stormed up through the field,from the back,and won,bent wing and all,there's a pic in the yearbook from 1984 :thinking: or one of the many programs in my basement.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:43 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

In the 80's I believe it was, a driver by the name of Vince Carnival flipped his sprint car on the backstretch at Selinsgrove. He was ejected out of the car while it was flipping. He flew a good 10 to 15 feet in the air and over the guardrail, out of the track. He walked away uninjured. He also never raced again. His car number was 218 Rocks. I saw it with my own eyes & know it as a fact!

Another good one was when the guy with the kite cycle tried to jump over the bridge and a tractor trailer at the grove. He made it over the bridge but not the trailer. The cycle was stuck in the back of the trailer doors. The guy was pretty messed up but I think he lived.

Still another good one was when Ed Spencer was late at coming out for a feature at Selinsgrove. He was told to go to the rear. He refused saying a push truck never came to push him out. He parked his car under the starters stand and refused to move it. While he was out of the car a push truck was called to push the car off. Ed was threatening the guy and he panic ed and pushed the car. It went across the track and crashed into the guardrail. Ed got ****** and ran after the truck and climbed into the bed. There just happened to be a 4x4 back there that Ed put to good use by smashing out the rear window. Not sure if the drive was injured, but the Pa State Police hauled Ed off and he was banned from the track for life.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

NEWBOMB TURK wrote:

Still another good one was when Ed Spencer was late at coming out for a feature at Selinsgrove. He was told to go to the rear. He refused saying a push truck never came to push him out. He parked his car under the starters stand and refused to move it. While he was out of the car a push truck was called to push the car off. Ed was threatening the guy and he panic ed and pushed the car. It went across the track and crashed into the guardrail. Ed got ****** and ran after the truck and climbed into the bed. There just happened to be a 4x4 back there that Ed put to good use by smashing out the rear window. Not sure if the drive was injured, but the Pa State Police hauled Ed off and he was banned from the track for life.

First good Newbomb post I've read and I am now this guy's biggest fan. If this is the same one as Jimmy Spencer's dad, all the better.