Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Gotta say when Carmen Perigo Jr. came out with the radical wing at Silver Spring Speedway in 2004. The wing was perfectly legal within the rulebooks but Carmen never ran it again though.

Susquehanna: 5
Grandview : 2
Selinsgrove: 2
Port Royal: 2
Hagerstown: 1
Trailways: 1
Kutztown: 1

TOTAL: 47

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEWBOMB TURK wrote:
In the 80's I believe it was, a driver by the name of Vince Carnival flipped his sprint car on the backstretch at Selinsgrove. He was ejected out of the car while it was flipping. He flew a good 10 to 15 feet in the air and over the guardrail, out of the track. He walked away uninjured. He also never raced again. His car number was 218 Rocks. I saw it with my own eyes & know it as a fact!

Another good one was when the guy with the kite cycle tried to jump over the bridge and a tractor trailer at the grove. He made it over the bridge but not the trailer. The cycle was stuck in the back of the trailer doors. The guy was pretty messed up but I think he lived.

Still another good one was when Ed Spencer was late at coming out for a feature at Selinsgrove. He was told to go to the rear. He refused saying a push truck never came to push him out. He parked his car under the starters stand and refused to move it. While he was out of the car a push truck was called to push the car off. Ed was threatening the guy and he panic ed and pushed the car. It went across the track and crashed into the guardrail. Ed got ****** and ran after the truck and climbed into the bed. There just happened to be a 4x4 back there that Ed put to good use by smashing out the rear window. Not sure if the drive was injured, but the Pa State Police hauled Ed off and he was banned from the track for life.

Don't remember Vince Carnival but I remember a guy from Connecticut that used to race at SG in the 80's that was 60-some years old. He always started on the pole it seems and they always introduced him as the elder statesman of sprint car racing. Silver car with burgandy #'s if I remember right(#66?). I think his last name may have been Lester.

I also remember one of the Chitwood stunt drivers wiping out a white corvette on the frontstetch during the thrill show.

Also remember a skunk running around on the frontstretch at SG. :laughing7:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

At Pocono in the late 80's, a rabbit got out on the frontstretch during a caution, and everyone got a good laugh watching the safety crew chase it around. One guy picked it up, but it apparently bit him, because he dropped it immediately! Finally, someone with gloves scooped it up and carried it to safety, to the cheers of the crowd. :mrgreen:

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 1321718744

2014 races:

Salamanca, NY - ISOC/ECS Snocross
Lincoln - 3
Port Royal - 5
Lernerville - 8
Mercer - 2
Williams Grove - 3
McKean County - 5
Roaring Knob - 1
Knoxville - 4

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

At Silver Spring in the 80's, people were on the track (turns 1 and 2 I think) looking for a part of Ralph Paulus' finger that had become dettached in an accident.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:04 pm 
Legend
Legend

For me it was this past Saturday night at Port when one of the locals told Tyler Walker to put his hat on straight "this is Port Royal" . Walker gave him the thumbs up and wore it correctly the rest of the night. :cwm4:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Quote:
Don't remember Vince Carnival but I remember a guy from Connecticut that used to race at SG in the 80's that was 60-some years old. He always started on the pole it seems and they always introduced him as the elder statesman of sprint car racing. Silver car with burgandy #'s if I remember right(#66?). I think his last name may have been Lester.

Charlie Lester from Enfield, Ct.
There was also Bud Mills, the retired airline pilot from New Jersey. Same time frame. Drove a No. 89.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Port royal pace truck up on the inside guard rail on the back stretch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:49 pm 
Legend
Legend

turning over the water truck at flemington.

pee wee griffin driving his mod off the track at east windsor, out the gate and down the road cause he was going to get his azz kicked

charlie bray(?) getting knocked out at nazareth, turning the wheel hard left and the throttle stuck....just sittin there spinnin donuts cause no one could get to the car.

tom hager tellin the wrecker driver at nazareth not to pick the car up by the rear bumper....then walks off to the pits....the driver picks the car up with the rear bumper bending the crap out of the new body and deposits it at hagers trailer....as soon as the car was unhooked, hager knocked the wrecker driver out with one punch....and walked away

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:29 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

At Weedsport for a URC race in the '70s, fog rolled in before the start of the modified feature. Management, 'in their infinant wisdom', swiched the order of features and called URC to the track because the WINGS will lift the fog! Well, Laudon Potts was outside pole in the Kurtz #4, and at the green, Laudon drove into the first turn and out over the banking(no gaurdrail) and the whole outside rows followed him 'cause they couldn't see either! Sprints pitted in the infield back then and the fog was just high enuff so we all could see it happen. The cars didn't get torn-uo so it really was a good laugh. Billy Wentz,Jr. came back to win this fogged out show in Henry Kramer's Trevis.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:20 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Ones I did not see in person -
Wild Willy Borsch's "all over the track" run at the 1968 WinterNationals after the Top Fuel drivers voted him out of the field (even though he qualified his AA Fuel Altered in the Top Fuel Dragster field, based on time) because they considered him too crazy to run against. The head-on shot of the Winged Express coming down the track sideways is one of the classic photos of drag racing history.

1967 Indy finish on TV with A.J. Foyt slowly driving out of the smoke and wreckage to take the checkers.

My friend's older brother at U.S. 30 Dragstrip in Indiana (the original source of those screaming "SUUUUUUUUNDAY!!!!" race ads on radio). He won his heat, but the tower got the lane notation wrong. He pulled up for his next heat, and the starter told him to go away, having been told (incorrectly) that Mick lost. Mick refused. The starter took the white shoe polish used to mark ETs on the window and smeared it all over the windshield. Mick got out, grabbed the starter by the collar, picked the poor guy up with one hand, and took him into the tower and up the stairs to the announcers/scorers booth to "straighten this out" - supposedly with the starter's feet never touching the ground until they got up into the tower.

One I did see - Kankakee County Speedway has a high banked track with the exit to the pits from the outside of the entrance to turn one, and the entrance up from the pits (which are down in a hollow below track level) at the exit of 2. The bank is high, and there's no guardrail. During a sprint car race, somebody had their throttle stick, and the guy went straight out over the top of 1 completely airborne, but he must have recovered and gotten throttle control back, because he came zipping back out the pit exit and continued the race. Judging by the timing, he never even let up. I'd bet there were some very surprised folks in the pits as he came flying in, landed, turned it, and headed back out.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was at Port Royal the night Chitwood wrecked in time trials.
It was a pretty nasty crash.
It was during an All Star race and the drivers name was Dennis Chitwood and he was a crew member for Frankie Kerr. He took the night off as crew member and jumped aboard the #21 car normally driven by Rod Stroup.
The crash happened on the first lap of his time trials and I remember that he hit the turn two guardrail almost head on.
Pieces of the car flew everywhere and I remember the track personnel had to remove the hood of the car that was left hanging high in the fence after the accident.
Chitwood spent several days in the hospital after the crash and he recieved 15 stiches in his forehead.
If anyone has any old Open Wheel Magazines laying around you can see pictures of the crash in the February 1996 issue on pages 80 and 81.
Lance Dewease is on the cover in the 461 car.

I was at Pittsburgh Motor Speedway a few years ago for one of the Western Pa. Speedweek races and they were pushing the cars out onto the track for the start of the feature and a push truck pushed the #69 of Doug Zucco into the path of Van Gurley.
Needless to say Gurley wasn't too happy and I remember him bouncing his helmet off the side of the push truck.
They did give Gurley and Zucco time to make repairs to their cars before they started the feature.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:49 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Terre Haute 1968- Herman Wise gets pushed off on the front stretch in the RZ Special Trevis and goes into turn 1 and flips it.

That car was I believe the last cageless car to win a USAC race. The race was in 1970. Anybody want to guess where?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:36 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

early 90s i belive it was frankie plesinger at hagertown came flying threw the pits and hit a push truck,also at hagerstown jamie mills whipped his helmet threw the back window of a tow truck,sammie swindll hitting a push truck in time trials at lernerville,at lindas durring a red flag in a four cylinder race a guy ran out of his car down the backstretch and proceded to take a **** in the woods by turn 2

5 Williams Grove
3 Susky
6 Path Valley
1 Fremont OH.
2 Hagerstown
2 Grandview
1 Lernerville
1 Eldora
2 Selinsgrove

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:37 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

pi$$ ...guess you want say that word on here

5 Williams Grove
3 Susky
6 Path Valley
1 Fremont OH.
2 Hagerstown
2 Grandview
1 Lernerville
1 Eldora
2 Selinsgrove

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

This one takes the cake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCsC-7YF4U

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next