Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 am 
Legend
Legend

5 mile point back when there was a huge bank and then a corn field off 1 and 2.
car goes over bank into corn field....you see the corn moving for a few seconds then the car comes flying up over the bank and lines up for the restart covered in corn stalks.

clarksville tn speedway....late models....2 guys beatin and bangin take each other out...they both get outta their cars and start running toward each other.
first guy pulls a knife and chases second guy who runs back to his car and pulls a gun and starts to chase first guy around the track till he catches him in the infield mud....game on.
best action of the night!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:33 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

theres a massive super stock fight at gas city i belive somewhere on youtube

5 Williams Grove
3 Susky
6 Path Valley
1 Fremont OH.
2 Hagerstown
2 Grandview
1 Lernerville
1 Eldora
2 Selinsgrove

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Michael Root wrote:
Didn't Becca Anderson flip out of the track the one night in Delaware and drive across Rt. 13?

That was at Georgetown, then Seacoast Speedway. She climbed the turn 2 vines/fence and cleared them and crossed both north and south bound lanes of 113. Very lucky a Perdue truck didn't run her down.

Path Valley: 2
Susky: 3
Lanco: 1
Delaware International: 4
Grandview: 3
Woodhull: 1
Bridgeport: 9
Port Royal: 3
Lincoln: 4
Selinsgrove: 3
Hagerstown: 1
Mountain: 1
Ocala: 1
East Bay: 3
Volusia: 2
Daytona: 1
Williams Grove: 4
Virginia Motor Speedway: 1
Big Diamond: 2
New Egypt: 2
Utica-Rome: 1
Georgetown: 1
I-88 Speedway: 1
Winchester: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I personally remember just a few years ago being SNOWED out at Path Valley. It was like a white out blizzard. I also remember getting fogged out at Lincoln around 1985-86.

Dad told me about Brian Seidel flipping at Susky, and driving the car back on to the track.

But I guess the strangest thing he told me was a night at York US30 in the late 70's, he was standing on the starting line watching the car he wrenched on (Bob Widmeyer) race Joe Lepone, Jr. when an airplane just about landed on Bob's car as he was going down the track. Some kid stole a plane from Hanover and tried to land it at York. Bob, of course slowed down, and Lepone was mad because Dad & Bob wanted a re-run.

Path Valley - 2
Williams Grove - 5
Maple Grove - 1

38 races for 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/brettroseracingengines
Finish Line columnist for The Journal-News Martinsburg,WV

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

RacerRose wrote:
I personally remember just a few years ago being SNOWED out at Path Valley. It was like a white out blizzard. I also remember getting fogged out at Lincoln around 1985-86.

Dad told me about Brian Seidel flipping at Susky, and driving the car back on to the track.

But I guess the strangest thing he told me was a night at York US30 in the late 70's, he was standing on the starting line watching the car he wrenched on (Bob Widmeyer) race Joe Lepone, Jr. when an airplane just about landed on Bob's car as he was going down the track. Some kid stole a plane from Hanover and tried to land it at York. Bob, of course slowed down, and Lepone was mad because Dad & Bob wanted a re-run.

That last one has got my vote of those posted so far!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:16 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Here's Sammy's crash :doh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNeInEJvc0

I was there that night, & not being a fan of time trials, was running some new t-shirts out to my truck when I heard a motor go from full song to silent instantly, and thought, 'Uh-oh, something bad just happened!!" I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked back in! Sammy got hurt & his car was destroyed, fortunately the people in the pickup weren't seriously injured!

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pro ... 1321718744

2014 races:

Salamanca, NY - ISOC/ECS Snocross
Lincoln - 3
Port Royal - 6
Lernerville - 8
Mercer - 2
Williams Grove - 3
McKean County - 5
Roaring Knob - 1
Knoxville - 4

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:33 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Flip it and keep on going!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf6OnaO6HAI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Didn't WG at least try to have snowmobile races one winter? Van May winning a heat on 3 wheels. At US30,a wheelstander getting blown into a barrel roll by high wind. Ostrich races at WG. Some kinda country band playing on a stage set up WG after the races. Both last 2 things included Smokey Snellbaker. SMRC midgets at York Fairgrounds. The 2 day stock car show at York Fairgrounds. Put on by Trailways Speedway. Rain on Sunday forced a last second schedule change. Old man Smith was scheduled to start on the the pole in Barry Klinedest's 43. He showed up as cars were circulating on pace lap! Somehow jumped in car and won a rain interupted feature. I remember Lincoln attempting 4-12 lap features. Lots of torn up cars. And one winner. The Bandit. The night Lincoln ran 2 WoO features. One wingless,one winged.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

7 or 8 years ago at Chico's WoO sanctioned Gold Cup, local Jonathan Allard was unbelievably fast all night blowing away the entire competition. He was leading the preliminary night feature by a straightaway at the white flag. As he enters into turn 1 he shuts the car down and fades the 4th on purpose and crosses the line there.

Back then, only the top 3 drivers got their fuel inspected and with Gold Cup being a cumulative points system if he finished 4th he would still be high in the weekend's points.

The WoO checked his fuel anyway and there was nitro in the fuel, he was docked all points, suspended and fined.

2011: 21
2010: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:49 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

This is a good topic. In all of my 41 years of going to the races, I've certainly seen many!

The flip at Susky, Kuhn, is definitely one of those wild moments in racing history.

How about Toby Tobias Jr. pulling his hauler out onto the frontstretch of Penn National Speedway. He parked on the frontstretch and the crowd went crazy. Or possibly the night he wasn't allowed back on track at Big Diamond, and he crashed through the backstretch gate to re-enter!

One night at Linda's Speedway (I think it was 1995), Brett Schoenly and Brad Sheetz were battling for the win and crashed. Sheetz went across the start finish line backwards and the third place car ended up winning. If memory serves it was Terry Schaeffer.

Tom Hager going after Doug Hoffman in Nazareth Speedway victory lane, not too long before the track closed.

There were so many memories throughout the years gone by.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:54 pm 
Legend
Legend

Quote:
Tom Hager going after (insert name here) at (insert name here) Speedway

fixed :laughing7:

ok....its not an on track story but.....hager had a shop across the street from the river....it was an old water company building.....looked like everything else he owned....beat up and chock full of used up stuff.
the way the story goes is that one day, the water company packed up their stuff and moved...the next day hager had a new race shop...never rented it or asked to use it....just moved in....and stayed for years...probably still there :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 pm 
Racer
Racer

Bitty never sees the checkers and flips after winning the feature at Lincoln this year. He then runs, on foot, to victory lane :cheers2: !

Susquehanna Speedway Park pictures are available for purchase at http://luckyshotphotography.net/
All other race photos on zepprox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Don't know if you would call this strange but I watched Todd Shaffer put the #11 out over the turn three and four fence at Port. In those days the car would hardly stop moving until Todd was out it. It was on the initial start of a heat race, for some reason Todd had two carts at the track. He Jumped the fence and with the ambulance crew chasing after him to sign off for them he was yelling at the crew to get the other car ready. Took the other car out and qualified it for the feature.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

So many things -

I saw an ARDC midget hit a skunk on the frontstretch at the Grove one night. The flagman threw the yellow, went down and flipped the dead skunk over the guardrail with the flag.

I was at the Springs for the "Missing Finger" deal, don't think they ever found it. I remember him coming back with one of those spokeless steering wheels after that. Saw Jeff Smith take a yellow flag while leading a heat on the last lap pull in the pits. His crew asked him what was wrong with the car, he looked at them while he was undoing the belts and said "the race is over" - as they went back to green. ...and he was followed off the track by the second and third place cars if I remember right. We were parked right beside him.

Got to see Van May run the 3 wheel heat race and WeedMan trash the 21 at Port. Saw the lights go out the night before the Tusc. 50 and then again last year. Watched the track electriction check the fuses with his fingers, he'd touch one and then shake his hand real quick, guess he was getting shocked. He did this a couple of times, we watched in amazement thinking he was about to get electrocuted.

I didn't see it but I have been told several times about the Eash rig driving under the bridge and removing the wings from the roof of it.

We were at Eldora one night for some big race, the Bombers or whatever the stock class of cars were called was getting ready to run their feature. J.W. Hunt was being interviewed and he asked what the race paid. Whatever it was he thought they should race for more so he announces over the P.A. that he's paying an additional $1000 or some stupid amount of money to the winner. They all hear it and proceed to crash each other trying to win. I remember one guy going to his pickup after the race, getting a big chain and swinging it over his head like a rope while trying to beam another guy that took him out. Can still see the recipient of the chain sitting on the tailgate of a pickup truck getting bandaged up by the ambulance crew. Fist fights all over the pits after the race and Earl Baltes trying to calm everybody down after it all happened, we still laugh about that one.

C4 the LM one with the knife and gun is classic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:43 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Sprintcars100 wrote:
...at hagerstown jamie mills whipped his helmet threw the back window of a tow truck...

hahaha i was going to post the same incident, glad i'm not the only one who saw it/remembered it :thumbleft: that guy dove into the truck after being chased around it, slammed the door so jamie picked up his helmet... :roflmao: