Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: what is that?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:54 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

this is a photo of Fred "Jiggs" Peters from what looks like the late 60's?? what is the device he's wearing around his shoulder and left side. if you zoom in there's a duckbill(?) buckle just like the 5 point harnesses and around the left side it almost looks like a wider leather piece. maybe something used in the old days for something but what?

Post subject: Re: what is that?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I have one of those harnesses in my Uncle Lucky's race bag.It has snap hooks on either side which made me beleive it was a early seat belt to help keep drivers in car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:28 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

was this an era where it was lap belts only? no shoulder harness? if that's the case, looking at the way it's worn maybe it was kind of like the helmet straps of today. the left side hooked to the seat belt to keep the driver from being pulled to the right when going thru the corners.

i'm betting you pulled that thing out of the bag and tried it on didn't you. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:33 am 
Legend
Legend

That was the seat belt...Before that no belts at all. You got thrown clear and they actually thought that was a good thing. :thinking:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

yeah, i've seen video of some of those "good" times. of course without the cage it was a lose-lose situation most of the time anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Those were Known as Sam Brown Belts. When Shoulder harness' first came out in the Sprint cars the Drivers were not used to being pinned back in the seal by their shoulders and with no power steering the guys were used to leaning forward and putting some muscle in it,sort a speak..So they devised this belt which would clip into the mount that would allow the driver freedom to muscle up to the wheel.Drivers who did not have alot of upper body strength would use these for years untill outlawed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

thanks phl80 now we know.