1st trip to Bowman Grey Stadium

Discuss Miscellaneous Racing
Mudturtle
Rookie
Rookie

1st trip to Bowman Grey Stadium

Post by Mudturtle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:34 pm

I am heading to Bowman Grey this weekend and was wondering if anyone has been there and if anyone has any advice for us. How is the parking? should i get there early?

Andy

RT88
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Re: 1st trip to Bowman Grey Stadium

Post by RT88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Been there and love the place. There is plenty of parking on both sides of the stadium. We like to park on the west side it is a big lot. Just exit off Route 8 at Vargrave Street. Turn right at the end of the exit and then make a quick left. Go straight through a rough looking neighborhood and at the end is the track and the parking lot. Track is on a hill above the lot so there is some uphill walking.

Get there early in the day. They have an early practice session and the pits are open through the day. You can show up in the afternoon and wonder the pits and meet the drivers. Place holds 16,000 so there are plenty of seats but get in line when the seating gates open. If brave enough, go over to the bottom row exiting turn two. You are against the outside guardrail and there is no catch fence. It is louder than a rock concert but a great place for photos.

During the racing we always like the low seats entering turn three. It is wild and you will not believe how close you are to the track. You can literally lean over and almost touch the roof of the cars.

By all means stay around after the races it is like Silver Spring used to be. The pits become one big party. Drivers stay around, sign autographs. Last time we went the Myers boys brought in a DJ and had music cranking at their pit.

Enjoy it there is nothing around here that compares to a night of racing at the stadium. If you want a good Caroline Barbeque joint to hit, try Little Richards. It is on the same road as the track. Take 109 south about 15 minutes south of the track. Where 109 intersects Gumtree Road turn right and the place is ahead about 100 yards on the right.

Have fun - Steve
I should add - when arriving don't be fooled. The track is on a college campus. It is at the back of the campus. You drive through the campus and at the very back is the speedway.

Mudturtle
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mudturtle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Wow! You have given us a lot of useful info thanks. We drove past the track yesterday to scope it out and are heading down early today. I have heard nothing but good things about the atmosphere so I am really looking forward to tonight's show.
Thanks,
Andy

trecraft
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecraft » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:38 am

If you're a Ford fan, make sure you cheer for PINTANG. :bdf: Cheer even if your a Chevy fan. This is the last week for the 2015 season 8/22/15.