Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frankie Kerr
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 pm 
#7 team penalized for Daytona infraction: NASCAR has issued penalties and fines to the #7 team that competes in the Sprint Cup Series, as a result of rule infractions found during Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway. The #7 Dodge driven and owned by Robby Gordon was found to be in violation of Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-3.10A (unapproved front bumper cover) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book. The violations were found during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 8. As a result, Gordon has been penalized 100 championship driver and owner points. Crew chief Frank Kerr has been fined $100,000, suspended for the next six Sprint Cup Series events until April 9 and placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2008.(NASCAR PR), Drivers and Owners points have been adusted accordingly. (2-20-2008) Comment here

Ouch!!
:ahhh: :ahhh:

Post subject: Re: Frankie Kerr
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:10 pm 
Yikes ! How much do you think a crew chief makes a year in NASCAR ? $100 bigs is no small amount.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:29 pm 
Legend
Legend

JFrank88 wrote:
and it certainly seemed to be a performance advantage since he finished 8th, but it was Daytona.

The violations were found during opening day inspection for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 8.

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:33 pm 
Legend
Legend

The bumper cover was found before the race , I think even before qualifying . The switch to a Dodge was made just weeks before the season and they were behind , I guess that was one way to catch up . Supposedly the bumper cover wasn't approved for NASCAR yet , but now i hear it will be legal . I guess the 7 team was just "ahead of the competition" in that area . :laughing7:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Wow. That just might be the biggest fine, dollar wise, ever imposed on a crew chief! One thing is for sure - NASCAR is dead serious about trying to stop all the cheating. Sorry to see this fine being imposed on one of our own.........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Sprintguy wrote:
Wow. That just might be the biggest fine, dollar wise, ever imposed on a crew chief! One thing is for sure - NASCAR is dead serious about trying to stop all the cheating. Sorry to see this fine being imposed on one of our own.........

lets face it nascar doesn't like RG. with what the bigger teams like hendrick have gotten away with...they only get slaps on the wrist and money is no object and losing a crew chief for 6 weeks doesn't hurt them either. this was an honest mistake at a practice session....not qualifying or a race. the nose was shipped to RG motorsports from Ray Evernham racing after gordon hooked up with them. they sent out the NEW nose that is waiting for nascar apporval instead of the current nose. heck if they want to practice with the wrong nose and not learn anything for the big race let em. the penalty would be sucking in the race. this fine and especially the point penalty is rediculous heaven forbid a single car team and a guy they don't like is in the top 10 in points. but then again we're talking about nascar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Am a huge Robby Goron fan as well as Kerr...but that fine and points be taken was total BS..the bumber they got from Dodge...and was before the race not after it was fixing for the race...so I dont see why they needed to take 100 point plus fine plus suspension of Frankie...I see it as a way for Nascar to once again push around the little guys

Lincoln-6
Grove-2
S-Grove-1
Susky-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:52 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

sprint1 wrote:
lets face it nascar doesn't like RG. with what the bigger teams like hendrick have gotten away with...they only get slaps on the wrist and money is no object and losing a crew chief for 6 weeks doesn't hurt them either. this was an honest mistake at a practice session....not qualifying or a race. the nose was shipped to RG motorsports from Ray Evernham racing after gordon hooked up with them. they sent out the NEW nose that is waiting for nascar apporval instead of the current nose. heck if they want to practice with the wrong nose and not learn anything for the big race let em. the penalty would be sucking in the race. this fine and especially the point penalty is rediculous heaven forbid a single car team and a guy they don't like is in the top 10 in points. but then again we're talking about nascar

Exactly! Ray Evernham took the blame for the mistake. I understand handing out a penalty, but this is pretty steep

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:42 pm 
Legend
Legend

the penalty and fine is in line with what nascar gave the 24 and the 48 team last year for a similar infraction found before qualifying at infinion raceway last year.

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:07 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

yeah the 24 & 48 got about the same for what....their 6th offense at BLATANT cheating. this doesn't even compare. RG otta go back and kick but in the IRL once they get back together with cart. i'm sure Nascar won't miss him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:23 pm 
This is just another reason to hate nascrap. It's turned into WWE on four wheels...F*** Nascar, support your local short track!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:49 pm 
Legend
Legend

sprint1 wrote:
yeah the 24 & 48 got about the same for what....their 6th offense at BLATANT cheating. this doesn't even compare.

the 48 team had their crew chief suspended for the first 6 races of the 2006 season for rules infractions at daytona. the following year at infinion raceway the 24 and the 48 team both had there respected crew chiefs suspended again for 6 races for doing exactly what they where warned about by nascar. they tried to modify the COT car. if my memory serves my right the crew chief for the 24 had never been caught cheating by nascar (i might be wrong though.) so that would make it his first offense. the crew chief for the 8 car was also suspended for 6 races and the team was docked the same 100 points for doing exactly what roobie's team did. they put something on the COT car that was legal but not approved by NASCAR at the time.

NASCAR made the right call on this one. sorry. :cool: it might have been a mistake, but with NASCAR being who they are, and the money involved, the crew chief needs to make sure that what is on the car is legal. that is his job as the boss of the team. Frankie got exactly what he should have gotten.

Quote:
support your local short track!

WORD!!!

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:40 am 
The thing is the 24, 48, and 8 penalties were on parts that did not come from the manufacturers. They were parts that were altered in an illegal way. This was a nose sent to RG by Dodge, and was put on by mistake. Fine should not be as much, and no suspensions should be imposed. Infact, nothing should be done since it was an honest to goodness mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:17 am 
Legend
Legend

79llmfan wrote:
The thing is the 24, 48, and 8 penalties were on parts that did not come from the manufacturers. They were parts that were altered in an illegal way. This was a nose sent to RG by Dodge, and was put on by mistake. Fine should not be as much, and no suspensions should be imposed. Infact, nothing should be done since it was an honest to goodness mistake.

he still ran a part that was not approved by NASCAR. that is all it takes to break the rules. period, end of discussion. it's Frankie's job to make sure that what is on the car is legal. is it not?

Quote:
Eury Jr. maintains violation was a mistake
DAVID POOLE / The Charlotte Observer
Friday, May. 18, 2007

Tony Eury Jr., crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr., still says the violation that cost the team $100,000 and 100 points and has Eury Jr. on the hook for a six-race suspension was an honest error.

The penalties came from unapproved brackets used to attach the rear wing to the No. 8 Chevrolet. The violation was found in inspection before the Dodge Avenger 500 at Darlington Raceway.

“All of us are going to get caught in awkward positions,” said Eury Jr., who will work Saturday night’s all-star event because the penalties have been appealed by DEI. “If you’re going to be that close to the edge and push the bubble all of the time, sooner or later you’re going to get into trouble.

"It’s not a deal where you’re trying to screw NASCAR every way you can. This was an honest mistake. I am not going to say that I haven’t pushed the envelope before. I have.

"Maybe I’ve gotten away with a couple of things and maybe I haven’t. You have to get a taste of it sooner or later. There’s nothing you can do, you just go on.”

Earnhardt Jr. said he was surprised that Eury Jr. got a suspension. Car chief Tony Gibson will fill in for Eury once he starts the suspension.

“I support Tony Jr.,” Earnhardt Jr. said. “I was really proud of him. I'm not proud of cheating, but I was proud of him trying to give me every advantage he could give me and that's what I want him always to do.”

sounds to me exactly what the 7 team is saying right now. you guy's seem to be persuaded by the fact that Frankie used to drive sprint cars and the fact that nobody likes the Hendrick team. that's all fine and good as i don't like the team either (and i don't like the driver of the 7 car either for that matter) but the suspension and fine are par for the course from NASCAR.

Quote:
France: No CoT Tinkering

NASCAR chair says rules violators will continue to get maximum punishments.
By John Clayton
Staff Writer

HARRISBURG, N.C. — NASCAR Chairman and CEO Brian France said his organization will continue to deal harshly with rules violators as the so-named Car of Tomorrow is fully integrated into the Nextel Cup schedule.

“We’re going to be very, very tough on people that test us with the Car of Tomorrow,” France said on NASCAR’s weekly teleconference with the media. “The whole premise is built around not being able to do much fudging with the car.
“In our view, there’s going to be various instances that have occurred, like they already have, where people are either unclear or want to see how we’ll react. We have kept a very steady theme that we’re going to continue to escalate the penalties.”
NASCAR have already placed heavy and similar penalties on three cars found to be in violation of the rules — the No. 8 of Dale Earnhardt, Jr., the No. 24 of Jeff Gordon and the No. 48 of Jimmie Johnson. All three teams lost their respective crew chiefs for six weeks, were fined and lost championship points.
While reluctant so far to prohibit an entire team from racing on a given weekend, France said that could be a possibility for habitual offenders.
"We're not hoping to do that," he said. "That's sort of a death penalty."
France also said he and NASCAR President Mike Helton met earlier Tuesday to discuss the suspended crew chiefs being at tracks and in contact with their teams on race day. France said he agreed that by being involved with their respective teams on race day, the crew chiefs were not acting “in the spirit of the suspension.”
“I agree,” he said. “We will be addressing that very shortly.”

seems quite cut and dry. you mess with the car, you will get suspended. mistake or not. but you are more than welcome to see it any other way. :thumbright:

2014 race count

Williams Grove-6
Lincoln- 21
Trail Way -15
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:02 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Kinda makes me wonder what the CEO of the NASCAR Foundation draws as a salary! You are right, the chief mechanic is the responsible person on this kind of deal, but that is a heavy duty fine.

Drive safe and sober, DX.....