Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:53 am 
I wouldn't say it is the fastest growing open wheel racing division in the East.....maybe one of the fastest growing. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:45 pm 
Yes I agree..but in opinion I would say the Sidewinders 1000cc micros are probably the fastest growing division in the East. I can only provide one name that will be added to the ARDC Midgets this year. The 1000cc have at least 5-10. ARDC does have great racing but.....well I will just add that without Mike Miller in the picture any longer I don't see it growing anymore. ARDC was hardly in the picture until he got there. They were racing all over, big and small tracks now ARDC looks like it is running mostly big tracks where the big buck teams do better. IMO they have to get on some smaller track to get some preparation for the Chili Bowl too. We didn't have anyone representing there in the A. From what I heard now the racers that want to compete in the points have to buy so many tires from the club now. I don't know sounds like things are starting to go in the wrong direction........JMO....do as they wish I will still be there. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:49 pm 
Don't get me wrong they are growing and I agree there are other classes are diminishing. You gave a great example the of the FF Midgets. I just don't understand when the guys could have be REAL midget racing for less $$$$ then they were spending. Guess that is why Stevens, Smith, and Wean are racing ARDC. Sorry to get so far off the main topic. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm 
Legend
Legend

sprinter...perhaps before you start the "i heard" crap, you either go to the ARDC board and ASK, or speak to someone in the club.

first....there are a few more than 1 new member this year.

second, mike miller did an excellent job promoting the club and helping to get it revitalized, but he was not the only reason. and he wasnt around much last year, but the club still grew.

third....as far as "smaller tracks"...i guess accord, five mile point, grandview, big diamond, penn can...ect...ect...ect are "big tracks"
and...eric h. winning susky at the last race and the schell 75 finishing second at new egypt are examples of the "big teams" doing so well on big tracks?

lastly...the tire deal....if hoosier puts points money in and offers the club tires at a discount to resell with the profits going back into the clubs point fund...and a racer chooses to buy their tires for a bit less someplace else...why should they benefit from the point fund? and if you are gonna run for points...there should be no problem buying the required number of tires to qualify for the point fund....and you will certainly make back the difference in what you would have saved buying those tires elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:52 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

1000cc is the main thing,IMO...there are alot of series/classes that are going to the 1000cc motor....heck even the ole roadracers out here have a class for 1000cc open wheel cars....the things are ungodly quick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:40 pm 
c4, I have talked to ARDC staff inquiring about rookies. I was advised that they have not recieved any new driver memberships, but that was a few weeks ago. I knew Grosz 39 will be running when he turns 16. Other then that I haven't heard anything until last night when I checked out the profile section and found Jack Spence will be running too. That is only two now that I know of. Yes, there might be more. I heard Stiemly 6, Misner, Rose, and Ely are out this year.

I agree it was not only Mike Miller but you gotta give him a lot of credit.

Track size- look at the tracks the guys are running out west! Some of the tracks are less then 1/4 mile. ARDC hasn't seen a 1/4 mile in a long time. I just want to see a ARDC guy or girl more prepared for the Chili Bowl.

A club controling where you buy something. I just don't like the idea. Next your gonna have to buy motors through them. Heck why don't you guys just buy the new Tobias cars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm 
Legend
Legend

sprinter...the only one out of the list of who is out that ran a full season last year is stimely. and that is for a lot of very legitimate reasons. same with ely, he and his team were just streched too thin trying to run the midget and stay competitive with the sprint cars.
rose was out for a while and i have not heard what misners deal is...but there are quite a few people still looking to get in, even though they didnt purchase a membership.
case in point, we rally have not run for 2 seasons but we are back with a new car and motor and plan to run as many shows as we can based on my sons full time school schedule.

i do give mike miller a tremendous amout of credit for the effort he put in...and his daughters were a consistant fan draw.

as far as the smaller tracks....gimme a 1/4 or small 3/8ths for every race and i would be happy. but the club has to take what is given.
i have been trying to get into accord for a few years now and due to tracy and lew, palmer booked a date....and i cant wait!!
the smaller tracks, IMO, make for better racing and less strain on the motors.

as far as the tire deal....no one is forcing the members to buy from the club. the club is selling tires at a profit with the money going into the points fund. personally....i try to take purse money and points as they come...if we do well, fine, if not, thats fine too.
its up to each team how they want to approach the tire deal.

and as far as the speedSTR's......if ARDC ever came down to spec stuff....we would be looking for something else to race.....but i can tell you that good night or bad, the club is a great group of people to be involved with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm 
c4 wrote:
...and his daughters were a consistant fan draw.

:nod:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:59 pm 
The ARDC club is still one of the best ways to race within your means from what I have observed. I'm not talking about running up front. I'm talking about racing in general.

ARDC made HUGE step when they cast off the wings. I just wish one track in the central PA area would step up to the plate and run 358s wingless on a weekly basis as a "niche track" in the same way that Paragon does out in Indiana.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:31 pm 
Legend
Legend

Quote:
The ARDC club is still one of the best ways to race within your means from what I have observed. I'm not talking about running up front. I'm talking about racing in general.

after jeff schell got hurt and retired, fred put ryan watt in the car (forgive me if i got the name wrong). freds car is an older hawk with a pontiac motor....not top shelf stuff by any means, but it makes all the races.
at new egypt, watt ran a killer race...stayed outta trouble and drove up to the front. andy martin was throwing 200 foot roostertails over the fences all the way around the track and had come up from the back using the outside. with about 3 or 4 to go, the yellow comes out....when the race restarted, watt was all over martin until they hit about the 3/4 mark down the back where martins superior motor drove away.
had that been at diamond, or grandview...it could have been a totally different outcome.
point being that if you got a decent car, a nice setup and a good driver, you can be competitive without taking a second mortgage.
compare the purse with anything else while comparing the cost to buy and maintain a car and the dollars spent vs. return is probably better than, lets say a 358 mod or sprint car and running without wings lets you move around a lot more on the track while, at the same time, doesnt burn off tires as quickly or put undue strain on the motors.

i also agree with gregg that a 358 wingless track around here would work....i think its just a matter of getting a promoter with a big enough sack to take the risk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Sprinter wrote:
A club controling where you buy something. I just don't like the idea. Next your gonna have to buy motors through them. Heck why don't you guys just buy the new Tobias cars.

Also don't forget that everything the club does like this is voted on by its members. The club meetings do not draw every single member, but they definately are well attended. Point being, if the owners and drivers didn't like the way things are, they vote to change it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 pm 
Legend
Legend

Sorry about breaking in here , BUT MOPAR43 .... how is the car ? I didn't see what happened .

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Brent Leach wrote:
Sorry about breaking in here , BUT MOPAR43 .... how is the car ? I didn't see what happened .

Not too bad, top wing, nose wing, front axle, and misc. small parts. I was running tight around the bottom like a lot of people and coming out of two I think Weaver broke cause he didnt accelerate and I ended up running over him. Just one of those wrong place at the wrong time deals. I'll be back out this week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:32 am 
Legend
Legend

Thanks . I hope you have better luck this week. :thumbleft:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1