Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lincoln 358 tire vote
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:03 am 
Legend
Legend

I hear there will be a vote to keep or remove the one tire per night rule for 358's This is a plea to the 358 owners that race at Lincoln. This is also JMO so take it or leave it and vote how you like. In my opinion everyone has used tires. The track is at a premium when the 358 heats are run so getting a hold of something is usually not a problem. Hence a used tire works fine. My question is why wouldn't you want to get rid of this rule? There are actually maybe one or two teams that would put a new tire on for a heat and another new tire for the feature, they are the only ones this rule would save money for. With a norm of 45 cars showing up wouldn't you like to qualify before you actually buy a new tire? Wouldn't you like to have the option to see how the track sets up for the feature and then pick your compound? Wouldn't you like to see where you are starting in the feature before you purchase a new tire? I just don't see where this rule does us any favors, but does actually cost us more money. A few things to think about before you vote.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:31 pm 
I totally agree! I would like to see it go for the 410's also!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I agree!!!!! I can buy good used tires from some 410 teams for 20-60$ apiece depending on condition run them in the heats and sometimes features and only put on new rubber when i want.
The one tire a night rule only helps hoosier and the track make money since hoosier pays the track for selling them there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I'm sure the tire company in question has done the math. They know what makes them money and what doesn't.

If there is a push towards one way or the other prior to any team vote you can bet your hiney hairs someone is salivating.......

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:18 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

eatclay8 wrote:
I totally agree! I would like to see it go for the 410's also!

I'm with you. Whenever they announced this new tire deal last year I kinda adopted a "wait and see" attitude but I feel I've seen enough. Open it back up & let the TEAMS decide what tire they want to run. Now if the tracks want to only allow certain compounds then thats fine but tell the outlaws to stick it, get rid of this Hoosier spec tire, & open it up to all tire manufacturers & allow the teams to run as many as they want thoughout the night. I think this rule benefits the majority of teams in the 410's, 358's, & 305's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The track was not at a "premium" last night!!!

Did you know that you could sucker punch somebody in the pits at the Grove in front of 2000 witnesses and have the rules not apply to you and then win the biggest race of the year? Yeah, I didn't know the rules only applied to certain people either!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:29 am 
Legend
Legend

Bunch of NASTY flips in the 358 Qualifying :!: :(

SAVE Our Farmland, Forrests and Dirt Tracks!

Freedom Is NOT Free!

RIP Billy Kimmel - Gone but not forgotten!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:20 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

they said last nite the tire rule is gone although the compound will have to be the same

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:40 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

For those who are interested but were not at Lincoln last night, the vote was 30 to 9 in favor of not having a one-tire-per-night rule. The same Hoosier "SC" compounds must be used but teams can use multiple right rear tires each night. The new "non-rule" will take effect the next time the 358s are at Lincoln and will remain in effect for the remainder of the 2008 season.

I for one think the vote went the right way. A team can use two good used right rear tires each night for less than the cost of one new tire and the 358 division is supposed to be all about racing on a budget.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:52 am 
Legend
Legend

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

:thinking: :thinking:

Just for arguments sake....
How many teams who want to save money, would have put on a used tire for Saturday night's heat races? I would think that not many. Yes, only 10 laps but with the track conditions, I would think a new tire would have been good. I know some of the 410 tires were used up pretty good after their heat races.
With this scenario, a team could possibly buy a new tire for the heat and feature. Thus, spending more money for a "budget" team then the current/old rules. I believe I once heard a driver say, "if you cant go to the track and afford to come back with nothing, b/c of crashes, etc., then you shouldnt be racing. You have to realize that there is a possibilty that you will leave with nothing."

Just for the record, I think there should be no tire rules, period. Any compound, any brand, any number of tires you want to run thru the night. If someone is willing to pay the money, then let 'em.

Did you know that you could sucker punch somebody in the pits at the Grove in front of 2000 witnesses and have the rules not apply to you and then win the biggest race of the year? Yeah, I didn't know the rules only applied to certain people either!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:40 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I think 54 is right, especially with a dry, slick track like most were last Saturday. But I look at a lot of tires on cars crossing the scales at Lincoln and USUALLY they have a lot of life left in them, even after the feature in some cases. Those are the nights that a team could successfully run two used right rear tires, so there is a potential for savings. And by the way, I marked four right rears Saturday night that already had one and two markings from previous weeks visible.

I also agree with no tire regulations at all but that's a whole other subject!

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:31 am 
Legend
Legend

Under the new rule, I would never and I repeat NEVER run a new tire for a heat race. It does leave me the option to put a new tire on for the feature, depending on starting position. You also now have the option to take that used heat race tire off and use it again next week for the heat race and maybe even a third heat race, and pick a different used tire for the feature, which you may or may not use again. The used tire you put on for the feature I would say 90% of the time you don't use again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:58 am 
Legend
Legend

Although in theory this could be true. I don't see any 358 teams at Lincoln in the position to put a new tire on for the heat race and another new tire for the feature. There are only a few lucrative enough at Selinsgrove to do this. Since Barshinger has left the 358 ranks at Lincoln there are no real high roller teams. Some are in a better position than others, but I don't see any really well financed cars other than maybe the new Bapp's car and Adam Wilt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

See, this is where I disagree with GoShow. I am pretty sure that we will see some brand new tires on 358's at lincoln for the heat races and a new one for the feature. Some teams will do it. The 4r, the Dietrichs, Trout, Hammakers are just some that could do it. GoShow might not put a new tire on for the heat race but a team willing to do should not be punished or blasted for it. Like I said, if someone wants to pay the money let em and do not be mad at them because they can afford it and you cant or will not spend the money. The rules should not be set to benefit "budget teams". There will always be someone willing to spend more money than the next guy. I am not saying it is right but it is reality. Several years ago, before Hoosiers were mandatory, many teams put new tires on for heat races and the feature in the 358's. The problem is now that Hoosier's are so expensive, it is getting difficult to do so. In my opinion, if there has to be a rule, then one tire a night should be it. From what I am reading on here, is that teams will buy a new tire if they make the feature. Okay, maybe that argument works but I also read that you could run a new tire for the heat race, and run it again the next week or maybe 2 heat races. Okay, so what is the difference now? You buy a new tire for the heat race, make the feature and dont have to buy another one. If you dont make the feature, you have a tire for the next week or 2 and could proabably run it in the feature the next week. I could be missing something but I do not see a cost savings by not having a rule. I guess you could never run a new tire and that would save money but I would think it would be very difficult to win and isnt that the point..to win? This is not an attack on anyone or any track. Just stating an opinion to get people thinking and have a good conversation topic about it without people getting upset.