Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ARDC Results- SSP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I was just getting ready to post the results. Too bad Drak couldn't stay awake through the late model feature... I can't say it was the best midget race I ever saw, but there was some good action at times. Pauch did an excellent job coming from 18th to 6th. I hope the track conditions are better in May. I have never witnessed tire wear like that. I wonder how the tire wear was for the late models and street stocks?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:24 pm 
I am trying to get this story straight. Randy Monroe and Pauch Jr. have 200 cubic inch motors when the rules say they can only have 166 cubic inch. I was told to look at the rules on ARDC website and I can't find where it says this would be allowed. Is this true? ARDC approved this? That would be like running a 410 against the 305s.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:52 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Sprinter wrote:
I am trying to get this story straight. Randy Monroe and Pauch Jr. have 200 cubic inch motors when the rules say they can only have 166 cubic inch. I was told to look at the rules on ARDC website and I can't find where it says this would be allowed. Is this true? ARDC approved this? That would be like running a 410 against the 305s.

A. Only engines of the type termed “internal combustion” may be used. In considering the
displacement allowed by the rules, a maximum of one (1%) percent clean up may be used to
determine the maximum displacement that might be considered inside the limits of the rule of
the specific engine being measured. Example: considering an all steel push rod engine the
rule states 185 cubic inches shall be the maximum displacement … a plus one (1%) percent
allows for a measured displacement of 187 cubic inches.
B. Straight fuel injection shall not be classified as supercharged unless it is combined with
another type of carburetion.
C. No Jet or Rocket engines shall be used.
D. Double Overhead Camshaft engines will be limited to a maximum displacement of 126
cubic inches. Offenhauser engines will be limited to a maximum displacement of 130 cubic
inches.
E. Most “push rod” engines shall be limited to a maximum displacement of 185 cubic inches,
except engines with:
1. “cross flow” heads, which are limited to 175 cubic inches’
-or-
2. alloy block and alloy head combinations which are limited to displacement of 166 cubic
inches.
F. Single Overhead Camshaft engines will be limited to a maximum displacement of 155
cubic inches.
G. Two cycle engines will not be permitted.
H. Volkswagen-type and Porsche-type engines will be limited to a maximum displacement of
166 cubic inches.
I. “Super-Charging” shall be defined as any method or means of increasing the pressure in
the intake manifold above atmospheric pressure. (All RAM type air tubes facing forward will
not be permitted). Forward facing air scoops are allowed provided there is no ducting from
the scoop to the air intake of the engine. NOTE: This means no type of ducting in the
engine compartment. (See ESS-13, B)
J. Turbo-Charged engines will not be permitted.
K. All engines are limited to a maximum of two (2) valves per cylinder except double
overhead cam.
L. No electronic fuel injectors, nor any mechanically timed fuel injection, will be allowed in
currently approved legal ARDC engines.
M. No titanium crankshafts will be allowed
N. Any V-6, 90 degree, cast iron block, push rod type engine produced for automotive and/or
light truck use. Cylinder block and heads must match as per manufacturer’s specifications.
Block numbers and head numbers must be on both as so a manufacturer match can be
verified. Steel valves only, 200 cubic inch limit with no clean up. The B.O.G. has reserved the
right to restrict any 200 cubic inch V-6 engine and/or car with a V-6 engine at any time, in any
way to insure the competitive balance of the club is maintained.
O. The above specified engines are permitted to compete without prior written permission
from the Board of Governors (B.O.G.). In cases where the B.O.G. has given written
permission for a special application engine to compete the duration of the application will not
exceed two (2) years, and it is understood that the B.O.G. reserves the right to restrict the
subject engine at any time, in any way to insure the competitive balance of the club is
maintained.
P. The RACE-TEK Quad4 Spec Engine
1. The only permitted engine of this category is the Oldsmobile Quad4 High Output,
production years 1989 through 1994.
2. All engine specifications accepted are those only specifically described in the official
engine manual supplied by the RACE-TEK company, revised edition 11/15/2000.
3. All other rules covered in ESS-9 regarding fuel type, fuel injection type, cylinder head
configuration and cubic inch displacement will be waived when said engine meets full
compliance with the RACE TEK Quad4 specifications – revision 11/15/2000.
4. Description:
ENGINE: 2.3 liter (138 CID) 16 Valve DOHC 4 Cylinder, cast iron block, aluminum
cylinder head
COMPRESSION: 10:1
WEIGHT: 280 lbs (approximate)
HORSEPOWER: 215 SAE Net
FUEL INJECTORS: Electronic
FUEL: Ethanol
OIL SYSTEM: Wet Sump
COMPUTER: RACE TEK sealed ECM (Electronic Control Module)
IGNITION: Oldsmobile OEM IDI (Integrated Direct Ignition)
RACE TEK
228 South East 59
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73129
(405) 634-0623
Q. Iron Blocks in combination with an iron head may now have a displacement of 200 cubic
inches.
R. Iron Blocks utilizing an alloy cylinder head may now have a displacement of 185 cubic
inches. Chevrolet heads may only have a valve angle of 23 degrees. Ford heads may
only use

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:38 am 
So I am guessing they have either a V-6 or an iron block with an iron head. You would think more guys would have a 200 cubic inch V6. I'll have to check it out one of these races, I plan on making the race a Grandview.

Another question, was the track that bad? Was everyone fighting for the gaurd rail?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:20 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Talked to the #9 who turned both rear tires and right front, all new, into dumpster donations. A lot of huggy pole going on but still a lot of passing and good racing. The midgets were the show hands down. Almost an 1.5 hrs to run the 358 LM feature with 11 cars finishing, frustrating, if not grueling to suffer through. What a shame.... anticipated a fun, competitive division and it was anything but. Hope they get it together by the time ARDC returns in 3 wks. Flagman as well, and that's all I'll say here... :silenced: :ahhh: :thinking:

P.S. Do Jeeps have side air bags? :shock: :doh:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:02 pm 
Sounds like a good deal. Why don't more guys get them?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

JFrank88 wrote:
That is the photo Fontana had accompanying the write up on the Rhino. More guys don't get them because the motor is in its probational period in which only one person can run it. They are merely seeing if it gives and advantage power-wise with it being 201 c.u. So technically, according to the rules, it's not legal, but they are being waived due to the rev limiter, which ultimatley cuts down on power. It is simply being tested to see if it can be legal for everyone in future years.

If I am not mistaken from a prior club meeting this engine has been in the "probational period" for about 3 years now. Your right technically its not legal but they still get the points and money for winning a race which they should not if its not legal. As for the rev limiter being set by Fontana when has anyone actually checked it after a race to see if it only turn 7800 rpm's?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:42 pm 
How many RPMs does a Ford or a Chevy turn? 7800 rpms sounds high. JMO if it isn't in the rule books it should be allowed. Only one person can run the motor? Could you imagine if only Rahmer could run a bigger motor. 3 years! Wow. I can't beleive a "club" would allow that. Is ARDC like a democratic club the owners or drivers get to vote on things like this? :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 pm 
I ran my Chevy less than 8000 rpm in Suskys feature. As far as the bigger motor I don't agree with it but this is hardly the forum to complain about it. The way I interpret the rules it looks like the Board can restrict the motor at anytime. Next time will be tough for Randy he will have to start in the back of the field with me. Man I shoulda gave you a before and after picture of my tires! Wow! And yes everyone was on the bottom I lost 3 spots the one time I entered turn one alittle high. Still fun though, beats a night of work any day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:12 pm 
Ok so you have a 166ci motor turning around 8000 and a 200ci motor turning 7800. ARDC should look at limiting the air flow into the motor not the rpms. Why would ARDC approve it to be run by a rookie? Seems like it was pretty much a waste of R&D last year. Monroe won last year too right? Is a majority of the club in favor of testing this motor?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yes Randy won 2 races last year. As for the majority of the club in favor of testing this motor the only people that have a say is the Board of Governors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:11 pm 
Legend
Legend

I don't think that answered his question. :dontknow:

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:48 am 
Infield wrote:
Do I dare ask, what happend with the flagman...

I can answer that question. In the Late Model feature, 2 or 3 cars got tangled together in the middle of turn 1 and 2 as the leaders were heading down the backstretch. Instead of the flagman or the tower (let's not keep the tower out of this) throwing the yellow they wait until the leaders are heading into turn 1 to throw the yellow. Well Steve Billet hit the wall a ton and Carl Graves had nowhere to go and spun to miss him. Billet's car took the worse of the hit as Graves was able to continue. It is just a real shame for 2 cars that were looking at having great finishes on Opening Night. It was definetly an incident that could have been avoided. So to say that the flagman should take the brunt of the attack may be wrong. The blame should fall on either the flagman or the tower, whoever makes the call to throw the yellow.