Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Student Pricing
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:38 am 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

I have always wondered this and hopefully I can get a couple answers from people that work at the tracks. What determines "Student Pricing"? And why at some tracks is there such a big difference between adult and students?? I feel like all tracks students ages should be to 22, solely because that's usually around the age kids are graduating from college. How can a kid who goes to school full time and like to come home to the races, afford to be paying that big of a difference, especially at outlaw shows. Why is Port 20$ admission for adults and 5$ for students. Any responses or input would be appreciated, thanks!

Grove:12
Lincoln:5
Port:6
Path Valley: 1
Eldora:2

Post subject: Re: Student Pricing
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:43 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

Why 22? Why can't I get in at the student price? I'm a student but way past the age of 22. :poking: Tracks have to draw the line somewhere and not all tracks are the same (obviously.). Just a few years ago it was adults and kids. At least they are cutting some students a break.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

I think the deal with student pricing being so low at Port is to make it easier for families to go. There under twelve is free and students to eighteen are $5 because that where most parents are done taking and paying for their kids so they are more likely to get the parents at the adult price if it costs less for them to bring the kids. As far as going past eighteen, I know there are exceptions to every rule but many of those 20, 21 or 22 year olds would have no problem buying a case of beer on the way to races and then want in for next to nothing when they get there. I know there have been times at Port when security walked through the infield and took beer from people with student wrist bands telling them you are either too old for the student price or too young for the beer you can;t have it both ways. I guess they could always go to two bucks for 5 to 12 and full price after twelve as it once was and still is at some tracks. BY the way I was a student when I was 49 maybe it should fifty with student ID.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:08 pm 
Legend
Legend

I'm still learning , but I don't qualify. Kudos to Port for having such a low student price. Walking through the infield you can definitely see it works.

2014 races : 46

Port Royal 19
Williams Grove 19
Lincoln. 4
Trailway 1
Path Valley 1
Grandveiw 1
Hagerstown 1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:23 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been preaching this for a while. I'm a 22 year old college student at Penn State. Born and raised in the area, been going to the races regularly since early high school. I think in particular Port is missing the chance with college students. No one at Penn State even knows the track exists, and a majority of them drive right past the exit on 322 regularly. I have taken a good amount of friends I've met in college to the dirt tracks, but with the price of books and tuition, it's tough to talk someone into the hour drive plus admission and food etc. Maybe even a "college day" promotion would be cool, take out an ad in the school newspaper for a week, and offer $5 admission to anyone with a valid college ID. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:00 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I do agree that the student pricing for GA should extend to College students but it should only be up to 20 years old. If your old enough to purchase beer, you can purchase the adult ticket prices.

I'd like to see the track's try a package discount for families or groups. Like two adult tickets and 2 children tickets with 4 small beverages and 4 hot dogs with a box of fries for $25-30. A lot of ballparks do it, why not try it.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

bcy505 wrote:
I've been preaching this for a while. I'm a 22 year old college student at Penn State. Born and raised in the area, been going to the races regularly since early high school. I think in particular Port is missing the chance with college students. No one at Penn State even knows the track exists, and a majority of them drive right past the exit on 322 regularly. I have taken a good amount of friends I've met in college to the dirt tracks, but with the price of books and tuition, it's tough to talk someone into the hour drive plus admission and food etc. Maybe even a "college day" promotion would be cool, take out an ad in the school newspaper for a week, and offer $5 admission to anyone with a valid college ID. Just an idea.

I think the "with valid school ID" is the wisest move - some 18 year olds are already working full time, and some 22 year olds are studying full time (and might be already under a heavy load from student loans).

I also second the notion of a "college night" or any other promotion (sports or scouting uniforms get in free, etc.) that gets young fans hooked. It is a wise investment in the future of the track, and of racing in general.

What the heck, with most kids, if you cut them a break on the admission, you'll make a good bit of it back at the food stands!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:57 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Agreed on the family pricing. :bdf:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Not sure if you're all aware of this or not, or don't follow but Selinsgrove Speedway already had a $20 family admission night and Port Royal already had a little league baseball/softball night where all students were admitted free and all kids in uniform were in victory lane and got to wave the green flag, so those two tracks are already doing it. Both those events were this season and advertised on their websites.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Guys you have some great idea's, but your also facing the fact that for the most part, the art of race promotion is dead. Most of these tracks just want to stand at the gate with there hands out and collect what they can. If they don't get enough at the front gate they raise the Back gate. And everyone's lucky if they spent more then a couple hundred bucks to run the track in.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:37 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

FanfromMd wrote:
Guys you have some great idea's, but your also facing the fact that for the most part, the art of race promotion is dead. Most of these tracks just want to stand at the gate with there hands out and collect what they can. If they don't get enough at the front gate they raise the Back gate. And everyone's lucky if they spent more then a couple hundred bucks to run the track in.

Port Royal is alive and well because of their promotion team so don't tell me promoting is dead.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

4600 wrote:
FanfromMd wrote:

Port Royal is alive and well because of their promotion team so don't tell me promoting is dead.

Beat me too it I agree 4600!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:01 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Hate to tell you guys but promotion at Penn St. would be a total waste. They are only there through early May and a few races in the fall and would go to football games a lot then. Most also have no transportation next you will want them to run a bus. I have experience with Penn State students dating back to the 80's I can tell you they will not and you will not get them to races in large numbers. Few are local so you wouldn't be building longtime fans. They are not staying here after school so if you are going to let them in for next to nothing now and they don't stay here what do you gain? Let it at eighteen, Port has a good deal going that isn't beat anywhere locally that I know of. One thing college students are good at is trying to convince everyone that they should get everything for nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:16 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Thank you for all the opinion/facts/comments. Students are at Penn State all year around. Im still here and will be until graduated. Have to drive right past Port Royal to get home, but due to the fact I have to pay outrageous price, I do not even bother. Last weekend for example, although it had gotten rained out, I drove right past the track to get home, and didn't even consider stopping. And for the statement someone made about "If youre old enough to buy beer, you can buy an adult ticket" Tell that to the military men and women who are only 19-20, who cant buy beer but can sacrifice their life so you have a track to go to every week. And as for valid ID, they can check the years on there, and maybe say maximum of 5 years on the card. I know with my PSU id, it says 2010, and although I am not graduating on time, say maybe do the math and don't consider a student after 2014/2015

Grove:12
Lincoln:5
Port:6
Path Valley: 1
Eldora:2

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

longtimefan wrote:
Hate to tell you guys but promotion at Penn St. would be a total waste. They are only there through early May and a few races in the fall and would go to football games a lot then. Most also have no transportation next you will want them to run a bus. I have experience with Penn State students dating back to the 80's I can tell you they will not and you will not get them to races in large numbers. Few are local so you wouldn't be building longtime fans. They are not staying here after school so if you are going to let them in for next to nothing now and they don't stay here what do you gain? Let it at eighteen, Port has a good deal going that isn't beat anywhere locally that I know of. One thing college students are good at is trying to convince everyone that they should get everything for nothing.

First off, I'm not asking to get in free, I mentioned maybe a single night reduced admission. Second, I believe my PSU ID has an expration date, not 100% sure though. Third, there are plenty of commuters at PSU that have vehicles, don't believe me, visit a campus parking lot on any given day, or drive through the student housing area. And lastly, while most move away, isn't it about building the sport as much as it is Port Royal? To say they'll never be back is not true, especially if they put on a good enough show. They may not be weekly race fans, but maybe when in the area some time, they swing by the 'track that got them into racing'. Of course what do I know, I'm just a college student reading a message board.