Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Port Royal GA Gate
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

im trying to be empathetic and put my self in your shoes as a fan who paid for 2 rainouts, and I guess i see your points. You guys would have been happy if they would have left raincheck holders in for free tonight and charged everyone else $5 or $10 bucks? I know the track would have been happy, as it stands the track gets nothing extra except consession sales. if they would have charged tonight you guys would be ****** that the track was making money on races you already paid for. I still believe this was the best decision.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:04 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

You just cant seem to please some people.. totally unreal.. The work the speedway and fairboard has done to that place over the last 2 years is second to none.. Now they are offering a free night of racing, yes its only features, When they didn't even have to do this and people STILL think they are getting screwed.. :ahhh: The people that show up tonight that have NEVER been to a dirt track race and maybe never came to Port is well worth that track to do this..

So shut your pie hole, show up like your gonna do anyway.. enjoy the awesome fries and sausage sandwich with onion and peppers I might add and enjoy the races..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:03 pm 
Crew Member
Crew Member

For one thing I am not complaining the track was between a rock and hard place but there are some things that you people don't know about how this came about. I simply pointed out that the only people getting anything free are those who don't normally come and will not likely come back(although I hope a few do I have my doubts). My whole point was that it was going to be $ 10 night anyway they might as well have left it that way for those without rainchecks and some people most wouldn't know about agree. Sh!t happens and I hope it all works out but don't count on seeing it again. And boy talking some people complaining about anything is the pot calling the kettle black.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:29 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

For once I'm going to please both longtime & CH88. I'm not coming to Port to see a race that they paid for! Would cost me more for gas to make the trip to Port than the admission at Selinsgrove, not to mention the extra 45 minutes both ways! ENJOY EM! :)

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm a Lincoln regular but I pay to go to the Port 4 or 5 times a year, but I'm not going to the freebie tonight. Will this make the whiners happy, I doubt it. Hopefully the Port is packed and many people that get to see the racing for free will return to be paying customers.
Although I am a Lincoln regular, I may have found a new Saturday night home.... The Grove, Sat nite is a nicely run program with great racing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:03 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

longtimefan wrote:
For one thing I am not complaining the track was between a rock and hard place but there are some things that you people don't know about how this came about. I simply pointed out that the only people getting anything free are those who don't normally come and will not likely come back(although I hope a few do I have my doubts). My whole point was that it was going to be $ 10 night anyway they might as well have left it that way for those without rainchecks and some people most wouldn't know about agree. Sh!t happens and I hope it all works out but don't count on seeing it again. And boy talking some people complaining about anything is the pot calling the kettle black.

Yes but, if they charged $10 for those without a rain check the track would be making money AGAIN on 2 races that they already have collected customer money and sold food at. How fair would that be, the track get to collect money for races that you guys paid for? Now that would **** me off and I could understand people complaining. And by the way if they charged non raincheck holders $10 how would that help the raincheck holders? it wouldnt. again you lost nothing so there is no sense in getting upset at people getting a freebie that you paid for, keep this in mind, those folks missed all the heat racing and qualifying that you got to see so your still getting more. This is a pointless waste of typing, go enjoy your free night of racing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Did they get all the features in? I left after waiting for about 45 minutes for the lights to be fixed. It's a shame that had to happen but hey I got to see 3 features and the 410 race was a good one that came down to the last corner. I feel I got my monies worth. :mrgreen:

Had to be the biggest crowd I've ever seen @ Port. The bleachers were completely full and the infield looked 3/4 full. On par with a Tuscarora 50 crowd, probably bigger.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah they got em all in. 2nd 410 feature had some great racing. Esh rode the rim like his hair was on fire, and Heimbach came from 16th to 4th. Mike Wagner also ran really well. Huge crowd. Entertaining night. Im interested to see what others think of how the track was prepared for the first three features. (I enjoyed it). Track prep always seems to be a huge debate on this site.

Rodney, you weren't by chance sitting in Section E were you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:54 am 
Legend
Legend

Not a bad night. First feature was kind of a snoozer except for Lucas Wolf. He was the show for sure. Erdley pulled a heck of a move out of 4 to win it. The 2nd feature was absolutely incredible. Watching "The Hammer" bang the cushion and slice through the field was awesome to watch. Last two times I went to Port he was the winner. Wonder if I can get him to pay me to come there more often? :ahhh: :shifty: :yessss:

Just an incredible crowed. You couldn't find a place to sit or stand anywhere. They showed a lot of people who might not have ever seen a race what that track produces every week as far as entertainment goes. Talking to a gentleman in the infield last night and he said there is nothing to do in that area unless you drive to another town, so everyone who lives in the area now knows they can stay home and catch some incredibly cheap fun right in their back yard.

Only bad thing was the power outage. How unlucky can you be when your showcasing your track to new fans and you loose the lights for an hr. Im as die hard as they come and we where on our way to the tunnel to leave when the lights came back on. You could hear fans in the infield where getting real restless waiting for them to come back on and people with little kids where the most vocal.

All in all a great night at the Fairgrounds. A track my kids love and a place I wish was closer so I could visit more often.

2014 race count

Williams Grove-4
Lincoln- 17
Trail Way -13
Port - 1

40 races in 2013
50 races in 2012.
56 races in 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:15 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Racing was good in first features. Was happy to see many real race fans leave as soon as something went wrong because it allowed a working guy who couldn't get there until almost race time to move the car in closer for getting kids there at the end of the night when they wanted to sleep instead of walk. As far as track prep, well at least they left the curb alone so they could run the top and bottom. I never can understand running it down when there is just enough to allow running the top and be competitive when it slicks off. Those who left missed the best racing as the second round of features were really good as Bill said. I decided early on I would go hungry and go home and eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before waiting in the concession line lines. I am sure they will be giving bonuses for the night to the workers who ran their a$$es off all night for them as the previous concession owner usually did on those nights.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

i just think that them really pushing the idea that it was "free" admission like the old "pack the track" nights was a little deceving but of course it was great PR if fans didn't stop and think about it. but you guys that aren't bitching are all correct, the purses were paid for. those that helped pay them got to see what they paid for and maybe more if they weren't at both original dates. yes the ones that weren't there for 1 or both got a bonus but as long as no one had anything taken away there shouldn't be any bitching.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:06 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bernie Lomax wrote:
Yeah they got em all in. 2nd 410 feature had some great racing. Esh rode the rim like his hair was on fire, and Heimbach came from 16th to 4th. Mike Wagner also ran really well. Huge crowd. Entertaining night. Im interested to see what others think of how the track was prepared for the first three features. (I enjoyed it). Track prep always seems to be a huge debate on this site.

Rodney, you weren't by chance sitting in Section E were you?

No I was sitting in the section C. Sounds like the 2nd sprint feature was awesome, wish I could have stayed by my girlfiriend had to get up early to leave for NY.

I thought the track was in good, racey shape for the 1st 3. I'm sure most people expected a heavy track which would have most likely been a high speed parade around the middle, so I'm glad they started off with a drier track. A dry , slick track with a cushion up high creates multi-lanes and works very well at Port Royal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:09 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Scott Harro wrote:
i just think that them really pushing the idea that it was "free" admission like the old "pack the track" nights was a little deceving but of course it was great PR if fans didn't stop and think about it. but you guys that aren't bitching are all correct, the purses were paid for. those that helped pay them got to see what they paid for and maybe more if they weren't at both original dates. yes the ones that weren't there for 1 or both got a bonus but as long as no one had anything taken away there shouldn't be any bitching.

I thought it was a great idea and I'd say a huge success given the size of the crowd. I gotta hand it to the promotional team @ Port, they aren't afraid to think outside the box.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:16 am 
Crew Member
Crew Member

Actually Scott, There never was any b!tching. I simply explained it the same way you just did and a couple of people took it as b!tching. The night actually went better than many expected. I have heard there many more than normal drunks in the infield but were better behaved than expected. A guy sitting next to me laughed and said there is no way that many people will get along all night after they get to drinking. I just wonder if all the grass in there will be dead next week as I don't how when the beer started coming back out how they ever all got into that one restroom in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:21 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

I was as vocal against certain aspects of this show as anyone and I still feel that way but I will say, the racing was good and theres no doubt they exposed many new people to the sport and that's never a bad thing. I still think that Port has the best promotional team in central Pa