Williams Grove Speedway Forums

Welcome to Williams Grove Speedway Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:31 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Obvioiusly Selinsgrove,Williamsgrove, and Port are named after the towns they are in, but what about Trail way, Path Valley, Big Diamond, Lincoln, Grandview and others. How did they get their names? Maybe its common knowledge and maybe its been talked about on here before but Id love to hear it. Thanks ahead of time :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:03 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Big Diamond is named after the coal seam that was mined right there where the track is located

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

I think Lincoln was named after the Lincoln Logs, because you know they are small :whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I always assumed that because Grandview is up on top of a hill it afforded a "grand view" of the land below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

here's my thoughts on lincoln. the lincoln highway was the first paved transcontinental highway in the united states and it ran from san francisco to new york city. current PA route 30 (originally route 1) runs along or is part of that highway and most maps show route 30 between McKnightstown east to Thomasville as the Lincoln Highway. Lincoln Speedway sits less than 1 mile (as the crow flies) south of the Lincoln Highway. i'm guessing someone took advantage of the famous name that gave the famous speech 15 miles down that same road.

Heck Lincoln's train from D.C. to Gettysburg may have even passed thru Abottstown.

there is a borough of Lincoln, PA in Allegheny County but they don't have a racetrack.

Then again i'm just guessing, it could be named after the Lincoln Logs or the car manufacturer. not sure which would be more interesting but as i'm sort of a history buff i hope someone who really knows puts it on here as well as some of the other tracks. this is a very intersting topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Scott Harro wrote:
here's my thoughts on lincoln. the lincoln highway was the first paved transcontinental highway in the united states and it ran from san francisco to new york city. current PA route 30 (originally route 1) runs along or is part of that highway and most maps show route 30 between McKnightstown east to Thomasville as the Lincoln Highway. Lincoln Speedway sits less than 1 mile (as the crow flies) south of the Lincoln Highway. i'm guessing someone took advantage of the famous name that gave the famous speech 15 miles down that same road.

Heck Lincoln's train from D.C. to Gettysburg may have even passed thru Abottstown.

there is a borough of Lincoln, PA in Allegheny County but they don't have a racetrack.

Then again i'm just guessing, it could be named after the Lincoln Logs or the car manufacturer. not sure which would be more interesting but as i'm sort of a history buff i hope someone who really knows puts it on here as well as some of the other tracks. this is a very intersting topic.

I like your logic. Seems likely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Path valleyis named after the area it's in.. All the little towns surrounding spring run are known as path valley

5 Williams Grove
3 Susky
6 Path Valley
1 Fremont OH.
2 Hagerstown
2 Grandview
1 Lernerville
1 Eldora
2 Selinsgrove

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tig88 wrote:
I think Lincoln was named after the Lincoln Logs, because you know they are small :whistle:

:thehand: But you can build big things with small things :yessss:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:16 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

sprntlover wrote:
Tig88 wrote:

dirty little mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wax wrote:
sprntlover wrote:
Tig88 wrote:

dirty little mind.

:cwm4: I wasn't even thinking that way LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Banana Speedway The ground this speedway was on was owned by the Cosmo Mannino Family whom was a very large banana wholesaler in the Central Penna. area. Originally the track was opened & run by the Central Pa. Micro ***. When the Mannino family was approached to lease the land to the association the lease was very very reasonable and when it came time to name the track it was only fitting to name it "Banana Speedway. Even after the association dissolved and the Stimely's took over the lease and the eventual purchase of the ground the name was never changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:48 am 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Banana speedway is now a bus parking lot. :ahhh:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:44 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

The Toolmaker wrote:
Banana Speedway The ground this speedway was on was owned by the Cosmo Mannino Family whom was a very large banana wholesaler in the Central Penna. area. Originally the track was opened & run by the Central Pa. Micro ***. When the Mannino family was approached to lease the land to the association the lease was very very reasonable and when it came time to name the track it was only fitting to name it "Banana Speedway. Even after the association dissolved and the Stimely's took over the lease and the eventual purchase of the ground the name was never changed.

Thats where I got my first ever go-kart win. always brings back memories when I drive past the location

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:22 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

The Williams Family farmed the land where Williams Grove Speedway is located. When the railroad out of Baltimore put in the rail line through the land, they put in some housing for the railroaders. That became Williams Grove.

Linda's Speedway is named after Linda Batz. The old Blue Mountain Speedway is on the Blue Mountain. Cedar Hill Speedway outside Birdsboro was on Cedar Hill Road. The Country Club Speedway in Lebanon was owned by the Pleasant Hill Gun Club. Drive In Speedway in Fassett had no grandstands and it was all drive in parking. The two Dickey Ben Speedways at Warren were named after the owners Dickey Morrison and Ben White.

Dunn Hill Speedway was on Dunn Hill, the track built by the Dunn family. Fireball Stadium Speedway was built by William "Fireball" Petty. Hilltop Speedway at Myerstown was built at the Hilltop Ranch. The Jennings Goat Farm Speedway was built on a goat farm outside of Erie. Oakford Park Speedway was built in the Oakford Park Amusement Park. Vargo Dragway is named after racing great Jake Vargo. By the way, four weeks ago I stopped by the old Vargo Dragway and it is still there. If you hunt for old tracks this is an easy find outside of Quakertown. Riverview Speedway at Williamsport was by the river on the west end of town. Sunset Speedway at Lebanon was beside the Sunset Market. Lastly, Herb Harvey Speedway in northern PA was not named after someone named Herb Harvey. It was named after the last names of the two original owners.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:39 pm 
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member

Good stuff, anyone have any info on trail ways name? RT88 thanks for the info ive never heard of most of the tracks you mentioned. Keep it coming this is fun to read about.