All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:28 pm 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

for sure, good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:33 pm 
Pit Member
Pit Member

Up here in the north country near Mr Kahn67 we had the Jack Watts Jalopy track in Mazeppa. The track was on the property of Mr Watts and was either a 1/4 or 1/3 mile. Whatever they happened to dig up.

Indian Park Speedway was at Indian Park Amusement park in Montoursville. The park had an old wood coaster. The track layout is still visible. Years ago RT88 send me an add that also included, Montandon Speedway so they may have been run in conjunction with each other.

Fairchilds Park was at th intersection of routes 11 & 93 in Berwick and had a speedway. My mother remembers going there for fireworks but doesn't remember a track. The area is now housing and there is a Fairchild Street.

Snyders Park in Montgomery was at a picnic/pleasure ground in Montgomery. Wiped out bt the 1936 flood, I'm told the land is still owned by the Snyder Family. Nothing remains.

Green Pine drag strip is on Green Pine road on the south side of the Williamsport mountain. I don't know if that's cause and effect but I suspect all the pine trees on the mountain are the reason.

One place close to Mr Kahn is the Kreamer Dragstip near Kreamer, although he may be too young to remember it. The 1/8 mile strip is now a chicken barn and was my first of now close to 100 old track finds and visits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:18 am 
Racer
Racer

Bowling Green Speedway in York County...Wasn't it owned by a Bolen and a Green?
Walnut Dale Speedway outside Shippensburg is on Walnut Dale Road.....unknown if the road is named after the Speedway or there is a lot of walnut trees in the area...

Hilly's Flathead Palace is named after the original owner and was built for flathead race cars.... :poking:

Williams Grove - 16.1 seconds = 173' per second = 117 MPH
Lincoln - 12.7 seconds = 145.2' per second = 99 MPH

2014 Attendance Log:

Port - 14
Grove - 0 drove there and changed my mind
Others - 0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am 
Head Wrench
Head Wrench

yep a quarter mile of chicken houses in a perfectly straight line. did they even put new floors in the building or are they asphalt floors?
never saw a race there but when i was a kid our remote control model airplane club did use the strip as a runway for several years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hagerstown Speedway was originally called Conococheague Raceway for the creek it site beside and sometimes under. It was later change to Hagerstown Raceway before get the Speedway addition.

http://www.pbase.com/davidm2/
http://davidm.smugmug.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Fairchild's Park that High In the First Turn mentioned was way ahead of its time. The track had a built in sprinkler system to keep the track wet. They had top notch graders. I heard they had a great track surface. It is a shame they never made it.

Here is another one I thought of. The Gable Hill Speedway in western PA. It was so named because it was on the property of famed actor Clark Gable's parents. VFW Speedway at Towanda was run by the Towanda VFW. Square Timber was along the Square Timber creek. Glen Drive at Franklin is on Glen Drive Road. Track was also known as Bully Hill and it is on top of Bully Hill. Dreamland Park outside Reading was on the edge of Dreamland Park amusement park. By the way, the track was along the main road. I know of some people that have gone looking for the track in the old amusement park. They usually are met by a shotgun carrying man. Dreamland Park has a bad reputation and is often called the body dumping area.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:32 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Oh wow, how can I forget these two gems. there was the Satan's Bowl of Death and also the Cliffs of Death, both Jalopy tracks.