How did some tracks get their names?

Discuss Miscellaneous Open Wheel Racing
Post Reply
User avatar
bkahn67
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 am

How did some tracks get their names?

Post by bkahn67 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Obvioiusly Selinsgrove,Williamsgrove, and Port are named after the towns they are in, but what about Trail way, Path Valley, Big Diamond, Lincoln, Grandview and others. How did they get their names? Maybe its common knowledge and maybe its been talked about on here before but Id love to hear it. Thanks ahead of time :D

Jshuster
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:28 am

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Jshuster » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Big Diamond is named after the coal seam that was mined right there where the track is located

User avatar
Tig88
Head Wrench
Head Wrench
Posts: 1749
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:19 am
Location: Beer Hill Seats #1 Rows Q & R

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Tig88 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:27 pm

I think Lincoln was named after the Lincoln Logs, because you know they are small :whistle:
I use to like Oreo Cookies and Chocolate milk.

User avatar
Bernie Lomax
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Bernie Lomax » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 pm

I always assumed that because Grandview is up on top of a hill it afforded a "grand view" of the land below.

User avatar
Scott Harro
Head Wrench
Head Wrench
Posts: 1989
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:03 am

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Scott Harro » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 pm

here's my thoughts on lincoln. the lincoln highway was the first paved transcontinental highway in the united states and it ran from san francisco to new york city. current PA route 30 (originally route 1) runs along or is part of that highway and most maps show route 30 between McKnightstown east to Thomasville as the Lincoln Highway. Lincoln Speedway sits less than 1 mile (as the crow flies) south of the Lincoln Highway. i'm guessing someone took advantage of the famous name that gave the famous speech 15 miles down that same road.

Heck Lincoln's train from D.C. to Gettysburg may have even passed thru Abottstown.

there is a borough of Lincoln, PA in Allegheny County but they don't have a racetrack.

Then again i'm just guessing, it could be named after the Lincoln Logs or the car manufacturer. not sure which would be more interesting but as i'm sort of a history buff i hope someone who really knows puts it on here as well as some of the other tracks. this is a very intersting topic.
My OPINIONS are just that and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone or any track I am associated with!

User avatar
Bernie Lomax
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Bernie Lomax » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Scott Harro wrote:here's my thoughts on lincoln. the lincoln highway was the first paved transcontinental highway in the united states and it ran from san francisco to new york city. current PA route 30 (originally route 1) runs along or is part of that highway and most maps show route 30 between McKnightstown east to Thomasville as the Lincoln Highway. Lincoln Speedway sits less than 1 mile (as the crow flies) south of the Lincoln Highway. i'm guessing someone took advantage of the famous name that gave the famous speech 15 miles down that same road.

Heck Lincoln's train from D.C. to Gettysburg may have even passed thru Abottstown.

there is a borough of Lincoln, PA in Allegheny County but they don't have a racetrack.

Then again i'm just guessing, it could be named after the Lincoln Logs or the car manufacturer. not sure which would be more interesting but as i'm sort of a history buff i hope someone who really knows puts it on here as well as some of the other tracks. this is a very intersting topic.
I like your logic. Seems likely.

User avatar
Sprintcars100
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:25 am

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Sprintcars100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Path valleyis named after the area it's in.. All the little towns surrounding spring run are known as path valley
2015 races:
5 Lincoln
2 Hagerstown
5 Williamsgrove
11 Port Royal
14 Path Valley
1 Selinsgrove
1 Susky
1 New Eygpt
1 Kutztown Action Track USA
1 Uttica Rome
1 Kokomo In.
1 Pittsburgh's Pennsylvania Motor Speedway
1 Gas City I 69 In.

User avatar
sprntlover
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4515
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by sprntlover » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 pm

Tig88 wrote:I think Lincoln was named after the Lincoln Logs, because you know they are small :whistle:
:thehand: But you can build big things with small things :yessss:
Editing Is A Rewording Activity

User avatar
Wax
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Etters

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Wax » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:16 pm

sprntlover wrote:
Tig88 wrote:I think Lincoln was named after the Lincoln Logs, because you know they are small :whistle:
:thehand: But you can build big things with small things :yessss:
dirty little mind.

User avatar
sprntlover
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4515
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by sprntlover » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Wax wrote:
sprntlover wrote:
Tig88 wrote:I think Lincoln was named after the Lincoln Logs, because you know they are small :whistle:
:thehand: But you can build big things with small things :yessss:
dirty little mind.
:cwm4: I wasn't even thinking that way LMAO
Editing Is A Rewording Activity

The Toolmaker
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by The Toolmaker » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:52 pm

Banana Speedway The ground this speedway was on was owned by the Cosmo Mannino Family whom was a very large banana wholesaler in the Central Penna. area. Originally the track was opened & run by the Central Pa. Micro ***. When the Mannino family was approached to lease the land to the association the lease was very very reasonable and when it came time to name the track it was only fitting to name it "Banana Speedway. Even after the association dissolved and the Stimely's took over the lease and the eventual purchase of the ground the name was never changed.

User avatar
Pitside
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 605
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by Pitside » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:48 am

Banana speedway is now a bus parking lot. :ahhh:

User avatar
jcwracing10
Pit Member
Pit Member
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:13 am
Location: Mifflintown, PA
Contact:

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by jcwracing10 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:44 pm

The Toolmaker wrote:Banana Speedway The ground this speedway was on was owned by the Cosmo Mannino Family whom was a very large banana wholesaler in the Central Penna. area. Originally the track was opened & run by the Central Pa. Micro ***. When the Mannino family was approached to lease the land to the association the lease was very very reasonable and when it came time to name the track it was only fitting to name it "Banana Speedway. Even after the association dissolved and the Stimely's took over the lease and the eventual purchase of the ground the name was never changed.
Thats where I got my first ever go-kart win. always brings back memories when I drive past the location

RT88
Crew Chief
Crew Chief
Posts: 2754
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:00 pm

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by RT88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:22 pm

The Williams Family farmed the land where Williams Grove Speedway is located. When the railroad out of Baltimore put in the rail line through the land, they put in some housing for the railroaders. That became Williams Grove.

Linda's Speedway is named after Linda Batz. The old Blue Mountain Speedway is on the Blue Mountain. Cedar Hill Speedway outside Birdsboro was on Cedar Hill Road. The Country Club Speedway in Lebanon was owned by the Pleasant Hill Gun Club. Drive In Speedway in Fassett had no grandstands and it was all drive in parking. The two Dickey Ben Speedways at Warren were named after the owners Dickey Morrison and Ben White.

Dunn Hill Speedway was on Dunn Hill, the track built by the Dunn family. Fireball Stadium Speedway was built by William "Fireball" Petty. Hilltop Speedway at Myerstown was built at the Hilltop Ranch. The Jennings Goat Farm Speedway was built on a goat farm outside of Erie. Oakford Park Speedway was built in the Oakford Park Amusement Park. Vargo Dragway is named after racing great Jake Vargo. By the way, four weeks ago I stopped by the old Vargo Dragway and it is still there. If you hunt for old tracks this is an easy find outside of Quakertown. Riverview Speedway at Williamsport was by the river on the west end of town. Sunset Speedway at Lebanon was beside the Sunset Market. Lastly, Herb Harvey Speedway in northern PA was not named after someone named Herb Harvey. It was named after the last names of the two original owners.

User avatar
bkahn67
Junior Crew Member
Junior Crew Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 am

Re: How did some tracks get their names?

Post by bkahn67 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Good stuff, anyone have any info on trail ways name? RT88 thanks for the info ive never heard of most of the tracks you mentioned. Keep it coming this is fun to read about.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests