Port Royal Dream Race

Discuss Miscellaneous Open Wheel Racing
tripod16652
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Port Royal Dream Race

Post by tripod16652 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:22 pm

CH_88 wrote:That was a good race last night. It's very rare to have a track surface that's as fast as that one was where you still see a lot of passing. It was too fast and narrow early but it ended up being probably the best surface we have seen all year at Port which is really saying something because they have been nailing the surface week in and week out. Their track crew does a tremendous job. The car count was right about where I expected it to be. The only issue I saw was that they didn't keep the show moving very well. Me personally, I don't care what time we get out of the race track. I'm a night owl by nature so racing until late at night isn't an issue to me. But I did see several people, including a friend of mine who was attending his first ever sprint car race (he LOVED it by the way and said he will definitely be back) leaving early with sleeping children on their shoulders. We can't expect to make fans out of youngsters if they fall asleep before the sprint feature. Luckily, my buddy got to at least see the sprints but he wanted to see the late models too but he had 2 youngsters who were tired and cranky. The promotions they do for the fans are a great thing but I feel they need to be done in a way that doesn't hold up the show. For instance the money booth. I thought that was cool. But it would've been better if they would've done it out behind the grandstands as a pre-race activity instead of on the stage when the sprint feature should've been coming out. Believe me, I've seen much worse screwing around but I see many areas where Port could run the show more efficiently which is exactly what needs to be done to attract new fans and keep the casual fans coming back. Whether we like it or not, there isn't enough of us die hards to pay the bills so we need these people attending the bigger events if we want them to be successful and grow. By no means am I bashing Port management. What they've done with the place is amazing and they now have one of the nicest tracks in the country and I think other than Rahmer promotions, they're the best promotional team in the area. I just think they need to try and keep the show moving a little better which is really the only thing I've seen on a consistent basis that needs some improvement.
Bottom line, I love sprint car racing but I also want to get home at an decent hour, as I said on here before, they need to keep things moving and stop trying to do too much in the course of the evening, I live a little over an hour away, stayed for everything and got home at 1:30. There is a such thing as too much of a good thing and that's what's happening.

BStrawser26
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by BStrawser26 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Sprintcars100 wrote:Ports almost always slick and the majority of the time the racing is very good. The only time the racing was bad was the 50 last year. Usually it's multi groved.
I have been there way too many times when it slicked off and it is anything but multi grooved. It usually is a freight train with slide jobs in order to make a pass!!
Hillary for Prison 2016
National Debt
January 21,2009 10.6 Trillion
August 25, 2016 19.5 Trillion
Almost doubled under this worthless administration.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

CH_88
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by CH_88 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 pm

BStrawser26 wrote:
Sprintcars100 wrote:Ports almost always slick and the majority of the time the racing is very good. The only time the racing was bad was the 50 last year. Usually it's multi groved.
I have been there way too many times when it slicked off and it is anything but multi grooved. It usually is a freight train with slide jobs in order to make a pass!!
Obviously you haven't been there this year when it slicked off because most weeks it does and the racing all year has been great. They use the inside wall, the outside wall and everywhere in between. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.
Way she goes.............

Brent Leach
Legend
Legend

Post by Brent Leach » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:33 pm

tripod16652 wrote:
CH_88 wrote:That was a good race last night. It's very rare to have a track surface that's as fast as that one was where you still see a lot of passing. It was too fast and narrow early but it ended up being probably the best surface we have seen all year at Port which is really saying something because they have been nailing the surface week in and week out. Their track crew does a tremendous job. The car count was right about where I expected it to be. The only issue I saw was that they didn't keep the show moving very well. Me personally, I don't care what time we get out of the race track. I'm a night owl by nature so racing until late at night isn't an issue to me. But I did see several people, including a friend of mine who was attending his first ever sprint car race (he LOVED it by the way and said he will definitely be back) leaving early with sleeping children on their shoulders. We can't expect to make fans out of youngsters if they fall asleep before the sprint feature. Luckily, my buddy got to at least see the sprints but he wanted to see the late models too but he had 2 youngsters who were tired and cranky. The promotions they do for the fans are a great thing but I feel they need to be done in a way that doesn't hold up the show. For instance the money booth. I thought that was cool. But it would've been better if they would've done it out behind the grandstands as a pre-race activity instead of on the stage when the sprint feature should've been coming out. Believe me, I've seen much worse screwing around but I see many areas where Port could run the show more efficiently which is exactly what needs to be done to attract new fans and keep the casual fans coming back. Whether we like it or not, there isn't enough of us die hards to pay the bills so we need these people attending the bigger events if we want them to be successful and grow. By no means am I bashing Port management. What they've done with the place is amazing and they now have one of the nicest tracks in the country and I think other than Rahmer promotions, they're the best promotional team in the area. I just think they need to try and keep the show moving a little better which is really the only thing I've seen on a consistent basis that needs some improvement.
Bottom line, I love sprint car racing but I also want to get home at an decent hour, as I said on here before, they need to keep things moving and stop trying to do too much in the course of the evening, I live a little over an hour away, stayed for everything and got home at 1:30. There is a such thing as too much of a good thing and that's what's happening.
I live 3 miles away. Made it home at 8:00 am. Totally enjoyed the Dream event. :laughing7:
Tilton Hilton
2 Speedway Drive
Mechanicsburg , PA 17055

2015 races : 37

Port Royal 12
Williams Grove 14
Lincoln. 5
Path Valley 2
Hagerstown 1
Selinsgrove 2.
Susquehanna 1

BStrawser26
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by BStrawser26 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:53 pm

CH_88 wrote:
BStrawser26 wrote:
Obviously you haven't been there this year when it slicked off because most weeks it does and the racing all year has been great. They use the inside wall, the outside wall and everywhere in between. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.
I was there for the USAC race in June. That one they had the track wetter than normal and had a cushion. I really liked it. In my opinion that is the way the track should be every week especially with a 3 division show most weeks. I don't like hard black and dry. Slick track racing is not dirt track racing in my book!! Every once in a while it is ok...not every week though!
Hillary for Prison 2016
National Debt
January 21,2009 10.6 Trillion
August 25, 2016 19.5 Trillion
Almost doubled under this worthless administration.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

taurus014
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by taurus014 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:26 am

Hodnett and Deitrich both tow all night to Knoxville and both make the A-main at the Capitani Classic.
Hodnett finishes 10th and Deitrich 15th in the Weikert car. 80 cars entered the event.

zepplinrox
Legend
Legend

Post by zepplinrox » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:20 am

taurus014 wrote:Hodnett and Deitrich both tow all night to Knoxville and both make the A-main at the Capitani Classic.
Hodnett finishes 10th and Deitrich 15th in the Weikert car. 80 cars entered the event.
:thumbright: :thumbleft: :clap:
"zepplinrox"- Brian

Race photos on zepplinrox personal site- http://zepplinrox.smugmug.com

XracerX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by XracerX » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:02 am

Nothing but good words to say about this race. 1st time camping there, awesome. Water and electric, a place to drain the septic. Hodnett was awesome to watch. Then slide it in sideways in victory lane, great to see. I really liked the money both and the tshirt gun, music playing as the cars lined up. All tracks should do these special things. Rather than just down time it was entertainment, track was beautiful prepared, a little fast, but that's what I came to see, fast racecar s slicing and passing. I liked the 2 semi features better than heats. Not a fan of watching TT's, but I understand the reason for them.
The only way port could have made me happier was to cook me breakfast. Great job port and the race teams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence for ourselves to be sure.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:34 pm

I like the racing @ Port better when it slicks off, more passing. When it's heavy with a big cushion it can be like slot cars.
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

NEWBOMB TURK
Crew Member
Crew Member

Post by NEWBOMB TURK » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Well run show with great racing on a well prepared track.
This is the place where brilliant minds assemble to willfully pool ignorance with questionable logic in order to reach absurd conclusions.

The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all.
Gilbert K. Chesterton

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
Mark Twain

TFR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TFR » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:11 pm

Seeing KK in the Hamilton 77 on the track sure brought back the memories. Even if only a few laps!

Snappy-3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Snappy-3 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Brent Leach wrote:
tripod16652 wrote:
I live 3 miles away. Made it home at 8:00 am. Totally enjoyed the Dream event. :laughing7:

I wish they would not start until 7:30 this time of year. Give the sun a chance to get off the track some. I prefer to watch at least the A Main after dark. It's night racing, not dusk. Besides we see some awesome moon rises from the stands.

hotrodney
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Post by hotrodney » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Snappy-3 wrote:I wish they would not start until 7:30 this time of year. Give the sun a chance to get off the track some. I prefer to watch at least the A Main after dark. It's night racing, not dusk. Besides we see some awesome moon rises from the stands.
You would love Selinsgrove! They don't start hotlaps until 7:30, usually groom the track/pack the cushion at least once before hotlaps are over, run support division features FIRST and you rarely get out of there until midnight even though most nights don't have enough cars for any consi's. Last Saturday there was a crash on the 1st lap of the sprint feature and they had an open red/fuel stop....SERIOUSLY! You want some night time racing, come on up. LOL
Stimulate the economy- buy made in the USA.

three wide
Rookie
Rookie

Post by three wide » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:28 pm

You would love Selinsgrove! They don't start hotlaps until 7:30, usually groom the track/pack the cushion at least once before hotlaps are over, run support division features FIRST and you rarely get out of there until midnight even though most nights don't have enough cars for any consi's. Last Saturday there was a crash on the 1st lap of the sprint feature and they had an open red/fuel stop....SERIOUSLY! You want some night time racing, come on up. LOL[/quote]

:agreed: Thats why i don't go to selinsgrove much anymore i'm tired of the late nights .

Shuey21
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Post by Shuey21 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Most of the late nights I attended this year were at Port. But I really don't give a crap cause what am I gonna do if I get home an hour earlier? Nothing watch tv and fall asleep :laughing7:
2015 Count: 50

2016: 20
Lincoln - 4
Port Royal - 5
Williamsgrove - 7
Selinsgrove - 3
Susquehanna - 1